Pre-workout snack

Options
I get up at 4:50 and workout by 5 am. I am thinking of changing that next week and getting up at 4:30 and then working out at 5. I haven't been eating anything before I workout in the mornings, but I am thinking of giving it a try to see if that helps my energy level. What do you eat for a pre-workout snack? What would you recommend for me since it's so early and I don't have much time to let the food digest before I start workign out? I was thinking maybe some oatmeal or a meal shake. Or maybe just some toast. I really have no idea what eat.

Replies

• Iris0022
    Options
    I usually eat a bagel thin with light cream cheese or peanut butter before an early morning workout. It's not too heavy, but gives me enough energy to get through my workout. Plus the combination of carbs and protein is good.
  • pocketsam
    Options
    I have a bowl of fresh fruit and yogurt while hubby has regular breakfast, walk dog then workout when I come back. It gets me through till I am done, then I am ready for my protein shake! If my day is different and I cant do workout first thing then I have shredded wheat or porridge with some dried berrys and milk.

Hope that is helpful :)
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is way to heavy before your workout...a shake would be good or a yogurt or a small serving of fruit.
    It will also depend on the intensity of your workouts. I wake-up & workout right away so i save my food for immediately after my workout. If my workout gets delayed then i will fatigue easier during my workout, so on the days that i know i can't get straight to it, i will have a light pre-workout snack.
    It takes up to 2 hours to digest food. When you are working out all of the blood comes out of your organs & goes into your muscles so it is impossible to digest food while working out. Therefore you can feel sluggish or sick. Hope that helps. :)
  • amandakay23
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 and work out by 5, I do the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, pretty intense work out in my opinion, I feel like if I didn't eat something before I would pass out or something. I usually have a Kroger brand carbmaster yogurt, it is light and has 12 grams of protien, and if I wake up more hungry than normal, I eat a banana too and then I eat a regular breakfast after I work out, usually oatmeal or shredded wheat. Good luck finding that routine! :flowerforyou:
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Protein shake prior to workout would serve you best if you want to get the most out of it. It will not feel heavy in the stomach and the extra protein will help wake up the metabolism in the morning to get you going.
  • loriefolk
    Options
    I usually eat a bagel thin with light cream cheese or peanut butter before an early morning workout. It's not too heavy, but gives me enough energy to get through my workout. Plus the combination of carbs and protein is good.

Right on! Shape Magazine did an article I just read earlier that stresses the importance of mixing carbs and proteins for energy and stamina :) Hope this helps!
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm usually eating a banana or granola bar before I work out (though occasionally some fruit). I try to eat something quick and easy before, and eat full breakfast later.
  • Mommyof4ts
    Options
    I usually eat greek yogurt with granola or a mini bagel with a little bit of cream cheese
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    When I workout early in the morning I really like Morning Star sausage patties. I pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds right when I wake up so it has a bit of time to digest while I get dressed. They aren't real meat (some kind of tofu I believe), and only 80 calories with 10 grams of protein each. They are also very small so you don't feel weighed down like you might with dairy or a shake.

If I don't eat anything in the morning, my energy is slow so I don't get much out of the workout. One of these is enough to keep me going strong until I ate a regular breakfast after.