Pain in arch of my foot?

sassylilmama
sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
I had a hard time getting through my workout today due to pain in the arch of my foot. Its not like a sharp charlies horse type pain, just like the muscle is constantly flexed. Its really uncomfortable and the more I tried to do the worse it got. Any thoughts on what it is and how to treat it?

Replies

• kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    I get it in the top of my foot. so I know how you feel. Try wrapping it, or buying inserts for your shoes. Especially if you have a high arch and arent super used to working out. Your muslces may just be sore
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    I changed my shoes seemed to help alot
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    If new shoes or new insoles work then don't worry about what I'm going to say:) Watch out for plantar fasciatis (spelling?). My husband has it and a few others I know and it is painful especially if you don't get it checked out. Stretching the arch and doing exercises really helps. Also, freezing a water bottle with water in it and rolling it under your foot helps.
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    could be beginning of plantar faciatis...get orthotics or at least a dr scholls insert...sneakers are shot after 3 months of aerobic classes so you may have no support left; is it your "lead foot" ??? watch that you are not pounding as you work out...step lightly ; you must ice it and rest it so it can heal!
  • callmefor911
    callmefor911 Posts: 155 Member
    i hope it is not plantar fiscai... worst pain i ever had and they said it was brought on by too much exercixe... had to wear a soft cast for 5 weeks to let it heal... good luck
  • I solved the problem by going to Foot Locker and getting a good pair of insoles. They've got this thing where they'll replace them for free once a month for a year, and I love it.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Make sure you have good arch support. I have a high arch. I always have to try on 16 pairs of sneakers to find one with the arch support in the right place. It really does make a difference.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    do you happen to have flat feet or fallen arches? I have CRAZY flat feet and get pain that sounds similar to what you are talking about - i got OTC orthodics which helped, and before activity (such as a 5 hour day on my feet working at the barn) i'd take Advil and also put a topical pain relief (such as Bengay, or Aspercream) on my feet, ankles and calves.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,611 Member
    I used to get this a lot. I have narrow feet and figured out that I needed shoes that come in narrow widths because "generic" shoes cripple me. Often the arch in the insole is just in the wrong place. You can take out your shoe insole and see where your foot imprint is and that can give you some idea about the fit.

Also be careful when getting shoes fitted by a professional, I did this once and let them put me ina shoe I knew wouldn't work and a few blisters later took them back.
  • jackalope28
    jackalope28 Posts: 38 Member
    I used to get horrible pain in the arches of my feet when I started doing yoga a lot more regularly. As my feet got stronger, they disappeared but OH was it uncomfortable there for a few weeks!

Just like any other muscle, I wasn't using it extensively enough and then when I started putting it in overdrive, it got sore just like any other muscle would.

Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.