Go a week without exercising and LOSE weight? what the heck

I can exercise my butt off for weeks and then go a week without exercising due to whatever reasons and that is the week I lose the most. For instance, I go to the gym 5 times a week doing classes, cardio and everything. Then I hurt my ankle and THAT week lost more than I had ever lost the previous weeks. Any insight????:ohwell:

Replies

• Laguapa
    Laguapa Posts: 58
    I can exercise my butt off for weeks and then go a week without exercising due to whatever reasons and that is the week I lose the most. For instance, I go to the gym 5 times a week doing classes, cardio and everything. Then I hurt my ankle and THAT week lost more than I had ever lost the previous weeks. Any insight????:ohwell:
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    the only thing i can think of is muscle loss? i've noticed that happen to me before too and when i go to strength train the next time... WOWZA! it hurts! haha i may be wrong, but that's what ithink.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Often when you are exercising hard your body holds on to water, and for good reason. It needs more water for the stress that you put on it through exercise. You probably actually lost fat while you were exercising, but the water masked the loss. That is why we often lose inches without losing pounds. Once you stopped exercising your body released the stored water. This is temporary and you will lose faster if you exercise.
  • I would agree with the previous poster that it probably is muscle loss - it only take negative 800 calories to lose a pound of muscle vs. 3600 negative calories to lose a pound of fat - but if you start exercising again and the weight loss remains, it's cause for celebration!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    One more possibility--are you eating enough you're exercising? Are you eating your exercise calories? If not, then your body is holding onto what you are eating to keep going.

Also, I have found that sometimes I'll go a few days without losing hardly anything than have big overnight loss. I think my body catches up to my schedule or something.
  • Laguapa
    Laguapa Posts: 58
    Thanks to everyone for the great replies. I am actually a female (that's my Dad's picture) but I hope I am not losing muscle in a week's time (that's the longest I've gone without exercising since I started in November). It is possible though. The response about the water is interesting as well--so I probably need to drink even more water while I am exercising--thanks!