Training for a half marathon on calorie deficit

Options
Has anyone been training for a half marathon while maintaining a calorie deficit and managed to lose weight? Do you feel like you have energy for your longer runs?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I eat back the calories burned during my runs and am still losing weight (about 1 lb/ week). MFP automatically calculates a deficit so I just eat to my net calories of 1200 and I am not hungry and am running well.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to accomplish the same thing.

I just grab a granola bar and maybe a banana before I run and it seems to work out all right.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yup, but I had to increase my carb intake. You kind of just have to adjust your diet to what works for you.

When I stayed at MFP's default settings during training I was tired all the time. I up my carbs when I start to feel sluggish and that makes it much better.

I do tend to gain weight when I am training heavily, but I also struggle with eating clean!! So that may just be me.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    If you eat back the calories you've burned you should be fine. How many miles/week are you running? Once it's over 15 or so, you can figure out the average your body burns per mile (100 is a benchmark, mine is closer to 125) and multiply that by the number of miles you run (15miles x 100 calories = 1500) and then divide that evenly between the 7 days (about 215). Eat that many extra calories (usually in the form of complex carbs) and you should be fine.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half marathon and I also do strength training. I lose about a pound a week. This week my loss was a little larger, and I'm not sure why, because I was significantly over my calories three times last week, but I'll take it. Because of my strength training, I did cut my carbs to 50%. I also tried to go to 45% but I was feeling really dizzy and weak all the time, so I am now at 50% carb, 25% fat, 25% protein. I'm not really sure if this is a good amount, but it's been working for me! Also, I eat BMR calories, and I try to eat back as many of my exercise calories as possible. I have been losing more slowly since I started running, but I have been dropping clothing sizes really quickly. I started running in November and was a UK 16. This week, I had to go and buy some new clothes that were UK 10s. Anyway, hope my rambling has helped you.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been doing some research on this since I am considering training for a marathon.

My research has suggest 50/25/25 ratio for carbs, fat, and protein.

I plan to have a daily deficit of 500-750 calories, but I am going to make sure in the hours around my training runs, I have zero deficit to ensure I have adequate energy and recovery fuel. I use a Garmin watch that keeps good track of my cals burned and I set up custom pre and post workout meals. The sum of those two matching the calorie burn is the goal, then I run a deficit the rest of the day to get my weight loss. It makes intuitive sense, I hope it works!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I followed the book Racing Weight and not only lost my last 10 lbs I never ever thought I would lose - I also did P90X2 and lost 2% more body fat.

I am never ever able to eat my calories back after my long run. I get sick to my stomach running and it takes me almost all day to recovery w/o being sick from eating. I started eating ginger, it helps, but the idea that I burned 1500 calories, and would make my daily goal 3K is outrageous to me.
  • dellis83
    dellis83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Interesting...its the exact opposite for me. When I'm running my hunger shuts down, but about half an hour after I am done it hits me like a truck.