Questin about being under calorie goal-starvation mode

Options
2»

Replies

• jlcghs27408
    jlcghs27408 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wrong wrong wrong, your nutritionist is basing this on the assumption you are eating maintenance calories before you workout, MFP already puts you lower.

I'm really glad you said this actually. This was an a-ha moment for me. Thank you!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    People.... read this carefully to understand how it works.

MFP uses your age, gender, weight, height, and activity level to make a calculation of what your normal daily caloric burn is WITHOUT EXERCISE. Lets say for argument's sake that number is 2200 calories burned BEFORE EXERCISE. It then says, to lose 2 pounds per week (as an example), you should have a caloric deficit of 1000 calories - meaning you should eat 1200 calories per day.

Once you add exercise into the mix, it changes the numbers. If you burn 600 calories today exercising, your daily burn just became 2800. In order to maintain the 1000 calorie deficit you would eat 1800 calories. It's simple math.

What many people don't get is that MFP already calculates a deficit for you, based on how many pounds per week you're looking to lose.

If your nutritionist is saying to only eat 25% of your exercise calories, he/she is not aware of the deficit that MFP has already calculated.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    Eric - you seem to know what you are talking about. Are you able to go in and view my diary...see if I'm on track? I'm trying to follow the discussion, but I'm getting lost. I've been working out more and slowly changing my diet. Yesterday I was 700 something calories under my goal after exercise. Is that good or bad? I'm getting mixed messages on mfp. Any help is appreciated.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    MWM - thank you so much. That was easy to follow. Bottom line - I need to break even.
  • amyrmca
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. To answer everyone's question yesterday is very normal for me. I haven't eaten more than 1 in months maybe even a year and if I do eat a second meal by the end of it it's basically a snack cause the meal is pretty small. I always knew I needed to eat more but ive always snacked so I didn't think anything about it. I didnt realize my eating very little could be a cause for me not losing weight. Thanks again.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are snacking every 2 hours....animals are lean because they graze all day. we can learn alot from their example

excuse me, but can you back that up with a reliable source?
  • lodro
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. To answer everyone's question yesterday is very normal for me. I haven't eaten more than 1 in months maybe even a year and if I do eat a second meal by the end of it it's basically a snack cause the meal is pretty small. I always knew I needed to eat more but ive always snacked so I didn't think anything about it. I didnt realize my eating very little could be a cause for me not losing weight. Thanks again.

1000s of buddhist monks have the same meal pattern you have.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    are those same monks skinny, proper weight or fat? Big difference
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    wrong wrong wrong, your nutritionist is basing this on the assumption you are eating maintenance calories before you workout, MFP already puts you lower.

I'm really glad you said this actually. This was an a-ha moment for me. Thank you!

No he is basing this on all day eating...1200 cals for the day unless i burn over 500 cals working out in which I eat 25% back...that wouls be 125 calories after workout.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options

No he is basing this on all day eating...1200 cals for the day unless i burn over 500 cals working out in which I eat 25% back...that wouls be 125 calories after workout.

Which means your body is running on 825 calories a day. You and your nutritionist aren't doing your body or weight loss in the long run any favors by netting under the generalized 1200 calories.
  • lodro
    Options
    are those same monks skinny, proper weight or fat? Big difference

All types. Dalai Lama? Eats one substantial meal a day and something in the evening: isn't particularly skinny. I know skinny monks, fat monks, regular weight monks. I think it's more about the amount of calories you eat, not so much meal frequency.

Also, in following the discussions about how MFP does its calculations: one of the variables it uses in calculating BMR is activity level. So if you set that to high, that too is factored in and you wouldn't be able to automatically assume that the calories you burn while exercising could be added.
  • anniewalker1
    anniewalker1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ive been doing 950 calories for weeks now and keep yo yoing between 2 kg is this because im eating too little - i cant excersise for health reasons and if i up the calories to 1200 will i put on loads of weight - im depressed now
  • Leigh258
    Options
    bump
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    does starvation mode base on what you eat as opposed to calorie amount??
    e.g if a person ate 1000calories a day eating all healthy food oppotions getting the correct amount of vitamins minerals proteins etc the body needs going to go in to starvation mode thinking as a person with no exercise in the mix as obvious with exercise they would need more
    what if the person gets there 1200 calories on all junk food
    i was under impression starvation mode was based on lack of correct nutrition as opposed to lack of calorie intake.

i understand the whole base calorie amount to lose 1lb aweek and eat exercise calories if you exercise but i confuse on the actual cause of starvation mode lack of calories or lack of correct nutrients
  • anniewalker1
    anniewalker1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump ? am i missing something?