Freaky Heart

Options
Hi everyone. This is my first post, though I love the site and reguarly read all of the posts. MFP provides a wonderful sense of community and lots of great support.

Here is my problem. I got a heart rate monitor and it is ruining my workouts! My resting heart rate ranges from 33 to 37 beats per minute. I know--very low. Trust me, I am not a highly trained athlete. When I walk I try to keep my heart rate in the 70 to 80% range, but if I iam in that range my perceived rate of exertion is almost none--it is like I am walking through the mall. But then when I jog, my heart rate skyrockets. If I am jogging and feel really great, I am inevitably in the 90 to 95% range but my perceived rate of exertion is really about a 7 or 8--I could still carry on a conversation though it might be a little breathless, and I am not struggling to breath. When I stop jogging, my heart rate quickly very quickly, and when I am done working out my heart rates returns to 50 or so beats a minute in about 2 minutes.

I know that my HRM is working b/c I have tested it by taking my pulse--it is always dead one. I have a Polar F4.

My typical cardio workout is to walk for one song and then jog for two songs. It isn't in my genetic makeup to intentionally cause myself discomfort so I rarely push myself too hard.

Any insight, experience, suggestions for me and my freaky :heart: ????

Replies

• randrews
    randrews Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi everyone. This is my first post, though I love the site and reguarly read all of the posts. MFP provides a wonderful sense of community and lots of great support.

Here is my problem. I got a heart rate monitor and it is ruining my workouts! My resting heart rate ranges from 33 to 37 beats per minute. I know--very low. Trust me, I am not a highly trained athlete. When I walk I try to keep my heart rate in the 70 to 80% range, but if I iam in that range my perceived rate of exertion is almost none--it is like I am walking through the mall. But then when I jog, my heart rate skyrockets. If I am jogging and feel really great, I am inevitably in the 90 to 95% range but my perceived rate of exertion is really about a 7 or 8--I could still carry on a conversation though it might be a little breathless, and I am not struggling to breath. When I stop jogging, my heart rate quickly very quickly, and when I am done working out my heart rates returns to 50 or so beats a minute in about 2 minutes.

I know that my HRM is working b/c I have tested it by taking my pulse--it is always dead one. I have a Polar F4.

My typical cardio workout is to walk for one song and then jog for two songs. It isn't in my genetic makeup to intentionally cause myself discomfort so I rarely push myself too hard.

Any insight, experience, suggestions for me and my freaky :heart: ????
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Your HR is very low, do you know why? You should have your doctor work with you by doing a heart rate stress test would be good for you both to determine your goals.
  • areason4stars
    Options
    I would def get that checked out by a Dr !
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    There was someone recently with a similar problem about a low heart rate. I found the thread--maybe it can help.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13685-slow-ticker-low-calories?hl=lance+armstrong&page=1#posts-104319
  • randrews
    randrews Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Probably need to have this checked out.....