Walking as Exercise

gaeljo
gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
Article post from Henry the Health Hound

As a hound, I do a lot of walking. People are always asking me if walking is ‘good’ cardiovascular exercise. My answer is always, “It depends.” Because, you see, it really does depend upon a variety of factors. Yes, walking is exercise, but are you really getting anything out of it?

Well, any time you move, you are burning additional calories, but it is the quality of the movement that matters most. So, a stroll through the park will burn calories, but take that same walk at a faster pace, and really accelerate the calorie burn. Walking at a pace of 4 miles per hour over a pace of 3 miles per hour can net you another 125 to 200 calories per hour, depending upon how much you weigh.

This is because your present weight is another factor of calorie burn. Someone who weighs 200 pounds is going to burn more calories than someone who weighs 150 pounds. Hey, I know it doesn’t sound fair, but it’s a fact. When you carry around more weight your body has to do more work to just move the mass around so you burn more calories.

There are other things you can do to make a walking workout more effective. Upping the pace to a power walk, which is just under a jog, will burn a lot more calories than just strolling along. You can also add hills to your walk, because the incline causes your muscles to work harder. Not only will you burn more calories, but those lower body muscles will start to tone up in no time. Hills make a great butt!

Another thing that you can add to a walking workout is a set of light hand weights. Carry one to three pound hand weights on your walk and you’ll burn additional calories each minute.

Walking is a really good choice for those who have joint problems, since it is low impact—even a power walk is low impact and it burns just a few calories less per hour than a job. This means little stress on the joints. If you are someone who can’t participate in high impact aerobics or running, then walking is for you.

Start slow—for beginners, 30 minutes a day, four to six times a week is a good start. But soon you will need to increase your distance to an hour a day six days a week to see improvements.

Walking workouts lead to an improved cardiovascular system, reduced risk of heart disease and a reduced risk of some cancers.
In addition, working out helps you to sleep better at night, and it reduces stress—great reasons to lace up your gym shoes and head out the door. Grab your spouse, your kids or your neighbor and make it a social activity—just make sure not to chat too much or you will find your pace slowing!

http://www.healthhound.org/1753/walking-as-exercise/

Replies

• Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    I started a weight loss challenge with my church earlier this month. The first day I walked it took me 45 minutes to walk a mile. I have been on disability for over 7 years and up until this month I have been very sedentary. I have numerous health issues. I have over 100 pounds to lose. Well....today...just 3 weeks after starting this, I was able to walk 3 miles in 60 minutes without stopping to rest. This may seem like an easy task for some, but a month ago I got winded just getting up to go to the restroom. Don't give up people. You can do this!
  • Way to go!! It is so true that you can not just give up but put in a true effort. You are such an inspirition! :bigsmile: Keep up the great work!
  • ifrog3n1
    ifrog3n1 Posts: 29 Member
    I'm with Tammy. I'm some what in the same boat you are ahcoble. I have over 100 pounds to lose. I attribute it to my arthritis & injuries of my knee. I gave into the pain & didn't do much but work, on my butt, in my studio. (I do crafts) I was also exhausted ALL THE TIME. I thought, "Of course i'm exhausted, i'm carrying around the wieght of an extra person. And, yes, my blood pressure was up, but my husband also discovered that i has sleep apnea. No wonder i needed a nap every day.:yawn: I knew that i had to get off my tush, but with the pain, it was so hard. The Dr. i was seeing just kept saying i needed a "lifestyle change". No kidding! How do i do that when i'm in pain 24/7?! I changed Drs. I found a Dr. who would listen to me & i have proven that by controlling the pain, i've lost 32 pounds in the last 10 months. My pain isn't gone, but it's a lot more tolerable & not there 24/7 any more. The first month on the pain pills, my blood pressure came down. Imagine that! And the sleep apnea evidently messed up my matabolism & that's why i couldn't lose weight before. It's been like a chain reaction the last few years.

Anyway, i'm "spring cleaning" my house early to get back to physical activity. After it's done, i'll start walking the dog again. You are an inspiration that i CAN do this! Thank you. I'll be keeping you in my prayers.
This discussion has been closed.