Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

so, how hard did I work? Calorie estimates from treadmil and

So... a treadmill, provided with your weight, knowing it's incline and speed can calculate how many metres your *kitten* was lifted by, and thus calculate the work enquired to do that - except gait gets in the way, and there's probably a fudge in for running efficiency which will be out if you walk.... blah blah blah

The treadmill decided I did 668 calories of work

A HRM takes your heart rate, and calculates how hard you are working, taking into account your age and weight - massive simplifications there. I suspect the HRM is under reporting, possibly because y resting HR is 40 bpm

The HRM (Polar T7) decided I did 424 calories of work.

Which is likely to be more accurate? I would guess the treadmill

Should I add 50% on to all the HRM readings?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Personally I would take the HRM measurements for 2 weeks straight (if doing the same treadmill speed, time, etc) and average the results. I personally believe the HRM would be a lot more accurate...remember HRMs do not accurately calculate resting heartbeats.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    if u wore a chest strap i would say go with the HRM.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    agreed - I would think the HRM is more accurate. I think the cardio machines do their best to "estimate" and probably pretty close, but it's really going off just weight and speed/resistance etc. The HRM should be (I would think) in theory, more precise.

The above comment had good recommendations - try them both and see how the results turn out after a couple weeks.

Either way - even 400+ is a good cal burn!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    If the HRM has a chest strap, I would go with that. It considers your gender, weight, height, age and calculates your heart rate which should give a better accuracy of calories burned compared to the machine.

The treadmill would only get your weight but wouldn't know your gender, age, height.. And if it has a heart rate monitor within it, it could possibly be interfered with the people that are working out around you.