sea salt vs iodized salt??

Options
So hubby claims he saw a news report about how sea salt is so much better for you, so I picked it up while I was shopping today... I looked at the sodium and other nutritional info when I got home... I don't see a difference... what am I missing??

Replies

• MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    From what I hear the iodized salt is a refined salt where sea salt is not refined and has more minerals and such in it. It supposedly does not impact your blood pressure like iodized salt does either. I am curious about this topic as well.
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I attended a womens luncheon yesterday where a nurse practitioner spoke on being healthy. This was a question asked by one of the attendees & I wanted to share her answer with you. She said that it is advertised as being better for you, but that it's best to stay away from salt in general. She said it is a better alternative, but it's still not good. She said to stick with fresh & frozen produce & skip the canned. Hope this helps answer your question.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    My understanding is that the answer is “No.” Salt is salt as far as your body is concerned. But there are many people who claim to taste differences in different kinds of salt. Chefs and foodies like to use sea salt or kosher salt because the grains are big enough to pick up with your fingers and it makes it easy to sprinkle on food (versus the tiny crystals of iodized salt). Here’s a link from the Mayo Clinic that compares sea salt to iodized salt: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142 .
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I always tend to use less salt when i got with kosher or seasalt versus the iodized salt. Probably because I get the taste more concentrated... not sure. I usually don't add salt much anymore.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that the answer is “No.” Salt is salt as far as your body is concerned. But there are many people who claim to taste differences in different kinds of salt. Chefs and foodies like to use sea salt or kosher salt because the grains are big enough to pick up with your fingers and it makes it easy to sprinkle on food (versus the tiny crystals of iodized salt). Here’s a link from the Mayo Clinic that compares sea salt to iodized salt: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sea-salt/AN01142 .

you are correct.. as a chef I know there is no difference in any salt. its all the same. the way we cook with it is all that makes it different to me.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

Definitely agree. Salt is salt. Some people likes the texture of the sea salt, but how could anyone taste that, doesn't salt should be blended into food? BTW, I've been using sea salt for a long time. :-)
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Salt is in almost everything and it is needed to maintain balance in our body. We have just used far to much of it in our processed foods, seasoning, drinks; we have salt overload.