Too much water?

Options
Okay I'm not talking about liters or gallons per hour, obviously that can kill you. But is having like, 10-15 large (like 12 ounce) glasses of water a day too much? I just LOVE water...I sip it all day at work and all evening at home. Nothing is added to it and the only other liquids I'll have is a cup of coffee or tea once or twice a week. But I'm in the bathroom all the time so I'm wondering if its just too much. However, if I try to cut down, I feel thirsty! Could my body just have adjusted to this amount of intake? Should I cut back to like, 8 glasses a day or so and fight the thirst and let my body adjust? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm no doctor, but I think that should be fine as long as you're getting enough electrolytes.
  • mroberts0918
    mroberts0918 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been hearing that you should take your weight divide by 2 and that is the true amount of water in ounces you should take in daily. I love water and I drink about 12 cups-14 cups a day. I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.
  • CharityD
    CharityD Posts: 193
    Options
    Me too! I drink 3-4L a day. I think it's fine. The danger is having your serum sodium be too low with that much water. But since most of us eat too much salt anyway, it's OK!
  • camjes05
    Options
    I think it's ok as long as you don't drink it too fast. I have a 34oz travel water bottle that I use and I usually have 3 of those a day.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It also helps if you're active. Drinking too much water can inhibit nutrient absorption so you might ask your doctor or trainer what is right for you.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Brother - I wish I had the problem of thinking I was drinking too much! I'm always stuggling and forcing myself to drink water. I quite often add some flavour to it!!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I think you're OK, especially if you're working up a sweat working out regularly. If that's the case, I would recommend you supplement some of that water with the low calorie Gatorade. I drink close to 3 quarts of water per day but have recently kicked up my workout schedule so I've added the Gatorade myself. I can only stomach the blue one...I think it's called Glacier Freeze. If I'm not mistaken, I think they're only 5 or 10 calories each and loaded with nutrients you need if you're working up a sweat.