Polar heart rate monitor

Options
Does anyone use a heart rate monitor? Does it motivate you to work out and burn the calories? I am thinking of buying one but the prices seem steep if it doesn't help with motivation

Replies

• sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I never work out without mine. It really does motivate me to work harder all the time as I can see my heart rate and know what it should be if I'm working at my maximum. Also, it's the only accurate way to calculate calories burned.

Most definitely a good investment.:smile::wink: :happy:
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I bought a Polar FT7 and I am so so glad I did most of the time MFP is at least 100 calories or more over than what my HRM says I actually burned. Thats a huge difference to me!!!
  • JanisBudds
    JanisBudds Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Do you use Flow Link? I see it lets you upload your workouts.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just got my polar last weekend and I got it for the same reason to keep me motivated. so far it has worked and I love it! The number of calories burned on my treadmill display and mfp are always much lower than what the hrm says so that makes me happy!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I got mine back in September and only missed one workout since then without it (forgot to pack it in my gym bag, I was devastated!) I find it definitely helps with motivating through workouts. I can look down at my watch while running, see how many calories I've burned and what my heart rate is and either convince myself to carry on or to work harder for the next 10 minutes! I like knowing that I have a more accurate calculation of my calories burned from exercise.

I would shop around in your area, maybe some store has a sale going on. Also check online for used ones!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my polar. It makes me work harder especially in classes like spinning because I won't cheat! I try to burn 3000 calories a week and I love being able to see how close I am to that by the press of a button! Right now I am at 2007 and I still have a long run tomorrow! I also upload mine to the polar website so I can track everything. I just bought the inexpensive one (around $90 - Polar F7).
  • saeverman
    Options
    Is it waterproof? The packaging I looked at didn't say. Just wondering. I want one I can use while swimming laps.

Stephanie E
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I think they are waterproof..........I do not have the flow link. I just make notes in my exercise journal daily.
  • writenina
    Options
    Check Amazon, I just got the Timex Zone Trainer, and I LOVE it. Both the MFP and treadmill estimates were much lower than what I was actually burning.
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT40 this month and love it. It may be a bit on the expensive side, but worth every penny!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar f11 about a month ago and I do not think I will ever not have one again. It pushes me so much.
  • McFrench
    McFrench Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4....I love it!! MFP really overestimated my step aerobics and kickboxing classes. The hrm pushes me harder too:)
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I just got one second-hand off Craigslist.org. It works great! It retails for about $100, but I paid $50! I love it!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT40. It comes with a chest strap and a nice looking watch. I love it! I wouldn't dare think of working out without it ever again. It definitely pushes me to jump higher or work out harder when you see that little calorie counter going up!