New to MFP and have some questions.

Options
Hi everyone,
I am new to here and was curious to know from everyone who has been here awhile if this truly helps you. I am 26 years old and have struggled with my weight my entire life. I have to make a change. Even as big as I am the exercise has never been a problem for me... it has always been the food. So when my calorie limit for the day says 1760 I get scared that eating that many will make me keep up the weight. I have completely changed my eating habits and am determined to do this right. Somedays I can't imagine that I will be able to eat enough food to amount to that. If I was still eating the junk no problem, I don't want to under eat but I am still scared that the 1760 is to high of an amount for me to eat and lose weight? Does any one have any answers for me?

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It works. I have never lost weight like I have on this program

You need to keep at it. As your weight goes down your calories will be reduced. Mine have already been reduced by 50 a day.
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I think this program works. I first joined MFP and lost 11lbs. I have gained a little lately from strength training, but if you REALLY stick with it and try to stick to your calorie goal, it'll work. Just do your best to stick with 5-6 small meals, or 3 meals and 2 low calorie snacks.

But I know the feeling of not being able to meet the calorie intake goal. I actually just lowered mine by changing my goal weight-loss/week to 2lbs per week, that way I'm more able to reach that, since I'm burning a lot of calories with exercise (I usually average about 700 calories/workout). It's a lot easier for me to reach my new goal intake (1480) as long as i eat 3 meals and 2 small/low calorie snacks.
  • wanitalilly
    Options
    It works. I have never lost weight like I have on this program

You need to keep at it. As your weight goes down your calories will be reduced. Mine have already been reduced by 50 a day.

This is a great point!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Righting your food down is the best way to hold yourself accountable. The heavier you are the greater cals you need to keep up with your BMI-so yes you need those cals. If you go under too much your body will go into starvation. It is EASY to get cals. Eating nuts-high in cals and good fats. Trust me-it is easy to get even with healthy food.

Sorry, I can give you more info, but my kids are hounding me and I have to go to boot camp!!
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I started this a week ago and was scared when I say that I have to eat 1790 calories a day. I have not hit that amount yet and a couple of days I was even under 1200. That was when my app told me that I need to at least eat the 1200 or I will put my body in starvation mode. I did talk to my doctor about the amount and she said it was about right however, I know my body better and if I am full dont eat just because I need the calories. Just remember balance, water and exercise. Add me if you want too!
  • ffemtchris
    ffemtchris Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My wife and me have been using this site for 4 weeks now. We both find it very helpful in tracking how much we eat and exercise to help keep us on track. The convenience of both the web and phone-based applications make it very easy and convenient to use at home, at work, and on the go.
  • jay586
    jay586 Posts: 133
    Options
    yes it works also you have to figure out whats a bad calorie and a good calorie chips bad grapes good you will like this very much good luck
  • jessiercross84
    jessiercross84 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I appreciate the feed back. I really like this site. Everyone is so nice and helpful and it has really helped me the past couple of days to see what I am doing. It makes me more aware of what I am doing. It's also a lot easier than writing it all down in a journal. It's great to see everyone joining together to make a change in there lives. I'm excited!
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    just read the block with the 53 in it.
    Fuel it, Flex it, fill it with h2o
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Yes it works. I started off eating 1600 calories and had no problem eating that much. I am now down to 1400 cals.
  • gloria581
    gloria581 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For the 3 months before I started MFP I lost a total of 10 pounds, but I lost the same amount in a little over a month once I stated MFP so I know it definitely works.
  • edryer123
    edryer123 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I did the tracking of my calories before and I noticed the scale go down. Got out of the habit and put a little bit back on. The first time it was a different site and not an app for my phone. Having the app for my phone makes it SOO much easier. Not to mention I am much better at talking myself out of the big bowl of ice cream or that piece of cake when i see how many calories it is versus how many I should be doing so I can get in my wedding dress.
  • a_sumsion
    a_sumsion Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's not as much about the calories as it is from where the calories are coming. If your eating your 1700 a day, but it doesn't include your fruits n veggies then you can worry. But if you can substitute the empty calories for healthy ones you're on the right track.
  • nkaplosinit
    nkaplosinit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just started today and I was wondering the same thing you are, does this really work!? I would like to loose 20lbs but at the moment that goal seems so far away! You can add me as a friend if you want and we can give each other support to keep going!