I need help!

Options
Hi ya'll! I need some suggestions as to how to improve my eating habits and increase the recipe box for healthier food items. Here's the problem: I stink at managing my time. I work a full-time job and go to school part-time. I do almost all the housecleaning and my husband does NOT know how to cook. He doesn't show any interest in learning, either, unless I'm already in the kitchen halfway done with the meal and complaining about how nice it would be to come home and have dinner already started (or done, for that matter. He's not working right now.)

Bottom line, I get home from work at 5pm and I'm so worn out I don't feel like cooking.. Or, on days I have school, I leave the house at 7am and don't get home until well after 9pm. My diet/lifestyle change is being hindered. Hellllllp!!

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    first off, he needs to do the house cleaning and cooking if he's not working. does he think the world revolves around his happy a@#?????
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the crock pot. If you google low fat crock pot recipes
  • savvynurse
    Options
    Crock pot meals
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    And your husband needs to help more..... Period
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i highly recommend checking out the cooking light website. i am a horrible cook but have found their recipes to be really tasty and easy to make. they even have a special section of "weeknight meals" that are ready in about 1/2 an hour.

http://www.cookinglight.com/food/everyday-menus/easy-weeknight-meals-00400000031918/
  • specksmom
    Options
    I too work full time, 1 hour commute each way, 2 kids 3 and 1 1/2 - so I feel your pain!
    Something I've started doing is poaching 3-4 chicken breasts every weekend - I store it in the fridge in the poaching liquid, then it's ready to go through the week for adding to pasta, dicing and making a chicken salad, over toast with gravy adding to frozen veggies, it really comes in handy!!! I've also started making a pot of spaghetti sauce every weekend using a jar of whatever sauce is on sale at the grocery store and adding to it pureed veggies - usually 2-3 carrots, 4-5 ribs of celery a green pepper and some onion - sometimes I'll even brown some real lean ground beef and add it, this, too, is good to have with the chicken or just with pasta alone...
    Also try to roast a big pan of veggies on the weekend to have through the week...
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi there, you have a very hectic long day. I was also going to suggest crock pot recipes. You can do anything in the crock pot these days! Search online and find some healthy ones.....and ta da ...meal is ready when you come home! I'd have hubby do the dishes though:)
  • crmathew
    Options
    I am doing a LOT of Steamfresh veggies, Steamfresh rice and frozen fish fillets (tilapia) with cajun seasoning. Believe me, it is super quick and easy and VERY good! I don't like to cook either when I get home, but you will feel awesome after you eat this! I would eat it for every meal if I could! LOL! Hope this helps!
  • biggerpix
    Options
    My mom used prepare meals on weekends and freeze them. We had dinners for a week when she was working. I know things have changed a lot in the last 25 years, but it worked.
    I love crock pot meals. Throw it in and all your hubby would have to do is turn it on (hopefully remembering to turn it on.) Chicken and artichokes are wonderful in the crockpot. (I still need to get that recipe from my mom again) and it can be made in a dutch oven. The brocolli or veggies can be made when you get home.
    I do a lot of stove top skillet meals that are quick, but it's just me so I don't have to worry about pleasing kids or a picky husband.
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I agree. If he is not working, what on earth is he doing all day? He needs to do things, to make it easier for you to work and go to school. Tell him, he better start. The world DOES NOT revolve around him for one minute. Put your foot down. Good luck.
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Pre cook! I tend to take a weekend day (or any day i have some time) and make ahead. sub in ground turkey for beef and make friends with your crock pot. Sub in whole grains for rice and pasta and always keep healthy quick snacks. I love hard boiled eggs and I always keep a chicken breast cooked in the fridge that I can chop over salad. I keep hummus and dip either pita chips (portioned out) or veggies in. I love my greek yogurt in the morning. And when I am swamped, I'll prep the crock pot the night before and then remind my hubby to start it when he gets home (he is a fireman and I am a student nurse in my last semester). I also have a list of "safe" foods so when i eat out I'm not doing it blindly (el pollo loco is great for to go but sodium will get ya no matter what). Sorry tons of ideas but the best is just pre plan. here is a website for recipes that i love (the link is my favorite recipe but she has tons of great stuff)

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/04/barbacoa-beef.html
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    lets say on the weekends you fix up a few days worth of meals , and do you think your hubby could at least learn how to turn on the oven and pop something in and set a timer.
    Im a chef and my hubby does cook either but he knows how to follow directions in the kitchen If I leave them and all he has to do it pop dinner and and time it.

So if you were to fix say a large pot of stew,chili or precook pasta. Then put them in pint size containers and you can freeze some and label them for what evening dinner it goes to.
    Crockpot dinners are good too! you can mix it all up the night before and then in the Am pop it in and cook on low or teach the hubby how to put it on in the afternoon so it ready at dinner time.

I use to work 14-18 hour days and I played in food that whole time.. I sure didnt want to come home and see more food but I learned how to manage my work kitchen and my home kitchen this way.
    Other wise I worried my son would not get fed!!
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I too work full time, go to college full time, do all the housework and cooking..and honestly I wouldnt have it any other way! I am a perfectionist.

As far as meals....I live with a pre-made salad in the fridge....and...I now measure out all my meat and extras into freezer portions which I take out when I am hungry...This will help with sticking to the plan too...My best advice though is to snack ...I take a yogurt to work, trail mix( high in calories though) and fruit...

I have however made the error of getting a to go salad once in awhile at a fast food place...what a bad idea...the dressings are enormously high in sodium!

If you want to share more please feel free to add me...I do know EXACTLY what it is like juggling the world..but it makes me Mother Earth! Hahaha!
  • melrae675
    melrae675 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My Dad used to make like four dishes on Sunday afternoons and put them in the fridge for the week. Gotos like grilled chicken breast, hummus, raw vegetables, and homemade vegetable based soup I try to make on Sunday when I am home. The crockpot cook also be your bf! Good Luck, Melanie
  • eviesgrandma
    Options
    I was always an at home mom so I was a pretty good cook, my husband was not! And like yours, he had no interest in learning. As soon as my youngest started first grade, I went to work. It was a learning experience for me AND the family. I found out quickly that casseroles (Made on the weekends and frozen) and the crock pot were such a big help! You can throw some meat in the crock pot in the am before work and when you get home, add a salad or a veggie and "Voila", you have dinner! or put one of the casseroles in the fridge the night before to thaw. When you get home pop it in the oven and relax for 45min to an hour and again "Voila" You have dinner!

It takes a little bit of planning on the weekends, but it will be worth it when you come home from work exhausted.

There are a lot of crock pot cookbooks out there and even tons of recipes for casseroles. Maybe your hubby wouldn't mind grilling every now and then, just for a change of pace!

Don't give up and good luck!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I agree with what some others are saying on here about your husband needing to pull some weight around the home. If the shoe were on the other foot, say if he were out all day long bringing home the bacon and going to school, he would want to come home to a cooked meal, clean house, etc.

I honestly don't think you can concentrate on your weight loss until you and your husband work on this issue. I know you don't want to hear that, but concentrating on changing your lifestyle is just plain going to be hard until you can get control of other parts of your life either at the same time or before you choose to change your eating habits.

My heart goes out to you. I would love to be able to help you. Others on here have also given you great advice with regards to preparing meals, however, the hubs has to get off his butt. He will never learn to cook because he knows if he does, then he will be expected to cook for you. Something to think about. Good luck to you hun.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I dont have alot of help regarding the how to cook meals because I pretty much such at that one... but I am a master at multi tasking! I am alot like you, I work a full time job, drive one hour to get to work, and also am in school for my doctorate full time as well. Here are my suggestions....

1. Sit the man down ... he needs to help out here. Now make it simple for him... what does he want to do? What is he interested in or could tolerate? For example, my husband chose the vacuuming with regards to the housework and chose grocery shopping with regards to the meal preparation. Was he happy about it... umm no, but he does do it. Over time he has also learned to straighten the kitchen and put away the dishes and also be responsible for browning the meat, chicken etc with clear instructions if I call from work and say I am on my way.

(Now I have to admit here that he does alot of other stuff for the household, I am just listing the ones that pertain to cooking and kitchen)

2. You have to take some time for yourself no matter what. Start out with 30 minutes 3-4 days a week... but put it on the calendar and commit to it and DONT let it get taken away from you.

3. Plan plan plan ...

Last semester I thought for sure I wouldnt have time to work and do school... I not only did that but I also trained for a half marathon including occasional 3 hour long runs on the weekend! It was all good though ... I made it a priority for me!

Good luck -- friend me if you would like, I certainly understand the dillemma of juggling work and school!
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    Wonderful responses, everyone. Thank you for the suggestions. I especially like the idea of taking an afternoon and preparing meals for the week. That really would save me so much time! And yes, I have a crockpot (2 actually -- a big and small), so I guess I'm going to have to start putting them to good use.

Thanks again!!
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    There can be healthy food choice even if you don't have time to cook. Cut your soft drinks, lay low on pizza and process food, etc.

* Frozen vegi (make sure the ingredient shows it's just the vegi you are buying, no extra crap) are handy and quick to heat up
    * When I don't have time to cook (hubby home early to feed the kid, and I don't want them eat junk food), I shop @ costco for some fully cooked (frozen or just refrigerated) meat, so it's easy for him to heat up and eat. BUT I'm very very picky on what I buy, and read labels 100 times, compare with similar products before I buy. Watch fat, calories, sodium, ingredient, everything it's on the package!!!
    * When I have time to cook, I cook big portions, so they can have leftovers
    * Also I stack up carrots, cucumber, fruits. They are quick and easy to access and eat.
    * When I buy food for snacks, I READ labels! Go with healthy snacks.

Also, go look at other people's diary to learn what they eat. I might help you get some ideas. I glanced your today's diary, and it's not healthy at all (sorry, hope not too harsh saying this). I hope to see your diary changed to have healthier food all day, all week and all year long. :-)
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Options
    Yes, I know this entire last week wasn't worth a sheeeeeeet. But, we went grocery shopping last night and stocked up on the good healthy stuff. I'm going to do better this week, I promise (myself)!