Healthy Low Cal Dips

Options
Lavendersunday
Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
Wow...I am always grateful and amazed at the taste of fresh summertime produce!
Here is a recipe I borrowed from a blog that features an abundent summer veggie...eggplant!

For my dipping device I choose either: Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Strips
or
I cut Josephs flat bread in 1/2 ...then fold each part into half. Put into a regular toaster seam side down and toast away. They become soooo toasty that when they come out of the toaster they become almost like a chip. This is really good for portion control too!

What I like about this recipe is that it is made with REAL INGREDIENTS!! :heart:

You can have more than a few dips...'cause it is sooo healthy. :tongue:

Please share any dip recipes you have if they feature REAL INGREDIENTS. :love:

GARLICKY ROASTED EGGPLANT DIP

Ingredients

1 large eggplant (glossy skin with no bruises)
2 or 3 shallots, depending on size * (I use 1/4 of a large vidalia onion instead of shallots)
1 or 2 large cloves of garlic
a handful of flat-leaf parsley
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
2-3 Tbsp plain yoghurt *(try to find greek yogart if you can)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Cut the eggplant in half lengthways, brush the cut sides with olive oil and place skin-side down on a baking sheet. Roast for about 15 minutes or until the cut flesh starts to turn brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

While the eggplant is cooling, chop up the shallots finely and crush the garlic. Heat about 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a small saucepan over low-medium heat and sautee the onions and garlic together with the paprika. When the onions are soft (but not browned), remove from the heat.

When the eggplant is cool enough to touch, either scoop the flesh out of the skins with a spoon or peel the skin away from the flesh with your fingers. Place the eggplant flesh, cooled onion mix and flat-leaf parsley in a food processor and pulse briefly until a chunky paste forms. Don't over-process - you want some texture!

Spoon the mixture into a bowl, add the yoghurt and mix well. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. I served my dip with toasted slices of baguette, but warm pita bread would also be delicious.

Apart from being super-easy and delicious, this dip is also low fat and healthy for your heart. In addition, if you make it really garlicky, you get the added heart-healthy antioxidant benefirts of garlic,

Replies

• Lavendersunday
    Lavendersunday Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Wow...I am always grateful and amazed at the taste of fresh summertime produce!
    Here is a recipe I borrowed from a blog that features an abundent summer veggie...eggplant!

For my dipping device I choose either: Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Strips
    or
    I cut Josephs flat bread in 1/2 ...then fold each part into half. Put into a regular toaster seam side down and toast away. They become soooo toasty that when they come out of the toaster they become almost like a chip. This is really good for portion control too!

What I like about this recipe is that it is made with REAL INGREDIENTS!! :heart:

You can have more than a few dips...'cause it is sooo healthy. :tongue:

Please share any dip recipes you have if they feature REAL INGREDIENTS. :love:

GARLICKY ROASTED EGGPLANT DIP

Ingredients

1 large eggplant (glossy skin with no bruises)
    2 or 3 shallots, depending on size * (I use 1/4 of a large vidalia onion instead of shallots)
    1 or 2 large cloves of garlic
    a handful of flat-leaf parsley
    1/4 tsp smoked paprika
    2-3 Tbsp plain yoghurt *(try to find greek yogart if you can)
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Olive oil

Method

Pre-heat the oven to 200C. Cut the eggplant in half lengthways, brush the cut sides with olive oil and place skin-side down on a baking sheet. Roast for about 15 minutes or until the cut flesh starts to turn brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

While the eggplant is cooling, chop up the shallots finely and crush the garlic. Heat about 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a small saucepan over low-medium heat and sautee the onions and garlic together with the paprika. When the onions are soft (but not browned), remove from the heat.

When the eggplant is cool enough to touch, either scoop the flesh out of the skins with a spoon or peel the skin away from the flesh with your fingers. Place the eggplant flesh, cooled onion mix and flat-leaf parsley in a food processor and pulse briefly until a chunky paste forms. Don't over-process - you want some texture!

Spoon the mixture into a bowl, add the yoghurt and mix well. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste. I served my dip with toasted slices of baguette, but warm pita bread would also be delicious.

Apart from being super-easy and delicious, this dip is also low fat and healthy for your heart. In addition, if you make it really garlicky, you get the added heart-healthy antioxidant benefirts of garlic,