Loose vs. Lose

Options

Replies

• tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    who accused you of being petty? part of your response is aimed at my response and i don't recall calling you petty. my point is this... this site is here to help people lose weight. it's not a spelling tutor or english class. complaining that people don't spell lose correctly is not helping them lose weight. it's just mean and that's all I'm gonna say about it.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    It's just an observation. All message boards have poor spellers and people who don't understand contractions. It doesn't appear to discourage anyone from posting but when people notice, why can't they express it? I actually think that criticising someone for making an observation that many people have also noticed is more petty than making the observation in the first place.

I bet that if someone dusted off their PhD vocabulary and someone commented on how everyone needed to use a dictionary to read their posts, fewer people would rush to their defense.

I most strenuously disagree. I loathe those whose loquacious vocabularies necessitate the perusal of my Oxford English Dictionary to fathom the message they intimate. I believe the calling out of such scoundrels is the solemn obligation of all right thinking individuals and will be thusly rewarded with the acclamation of all.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    No one called me petty, but some posters accused the OP of being petty. It was a comment on the entire thread and not directed at one or two people.

Now, I would like us to agree to disagree or THERE WILL BE TROUBLE!

*Heather smash puny girls*
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Of course there is a big difference between loose and lose, but we're educated enough to know what the poster means when we see this mistake. Let's not make people uncomfortable about posting when they confuse certain words. It's already painful enough to put our pains about being overweight on the Internet; and then to have people critiquing our English only adds to that pain, and makes it harder to post our problems. Some of the mistakes that people make with their English depends on where they were educated. For example, I've noticed that people from the Midwest often confuse than and then, too, to, and two, and your and you're. It's not a big deal to me because I'm focused on the fitness, and a person's use of the English language isn't a big deal. :smile:
  • tammy200678
    Options
    ok u have your opinion i have mine so whatever
  • tammy200678
    Options
    Of course there is a big difference between loose and lose, but we're educated enough to know what the poster means when we see this mistake. Let's not make people uncomfortable about posting when they confuse certain words. It's already painful enough to put our pains about being overweight on the Internet; and then to have people critiquing our English only adds to that pain, and makes it harder to post our problems. Some of the mistakes that people make with their English depends on where they were educated. For example, I've noticed that people from the Midwest often confuse than and then, too, to, and two, and your and you're. It's not a big deal to me because I'm focused on the fitness, and a person's use of the English language isn't a big deal. :smile:
  • tammy200678
    Options
    okay your little comment about trouble if that is supposed to be scary it is not lol
  • Heather75
    Options
    Oh yeah? If you could see the face I am making you would be so scared.
  • tammy200678
    Options
    If u say so none but God scares me but anyways I was not trying to offend anyone so take it how u want but I saw other people felt like me to so take the crazy face on to someone else lol
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Let's not make people uncomfortable about posting when they confuse certain words. It's already painful enough to put our pains about being overweight on the Internet; and then to have people critiquing our English only adds to that pain, and makes it harder to post our problems.

Nicely stated.
  • tammy200678
    Options
    agree
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options

your awesome! :bigsmile: I second this!
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

Gosh, ppl, dunt loose you're humer!
  • tammy200678
    Options
    still got mine
  • Beej731
    Options
    :)
  • Beej731
    Options
    :)
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    I doubt that many people post questions in "Chit-chat, fun and games".

Of course you can make observations on the observation. My objection is because this was obviously a jocular post, not meant maliciously and the observations which followed were highly critical and completely without sensitivity to the OP. It's just a bit ironic to accuse someone of being petty whilst being petty.

who accused you of being petty? part of your response is aimed at my response and i don't recall calling you petty. my point is this... this site is here to help people lose weight. it's not a spelling tutor or english class. complaining that people don't spell lose correctly is not helping them lose weight. it's just mean and that's all I'm gonna say about it.

So much for having fun with this thread. It WAS posted in chit chat, fun and games. When I need support or info or recipes, I go to the appropriate topic. I think some are taking this a bit too seriously.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As the OP...let me apologize for instigating some fights...If everyone will please refer to the original post. At the bottom is a spot where I make fun of myself. My intent was to humorously draw attention to the misusing of the words. I think we can all agree that we have the right to comment and feel how we feel .I think we can also agree that intent can be misread. If any one was offended...please accept my apology. It was not a challenge on intelligence in any way. As for myself, I will choose to accept correction as a chance to learn instead of viewing it as a personal attack. God Bless!
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • Heather75
    Options
    Everyone who has posted in this thread is a really good speller.