Going raw for one day a week, who's in?

Red13
Red13 Posts: 287 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
I can't help but keep running into the great advantages of the raw food diet. My only concern is that we need meat and I couldn't possibly live on a constant raw food diet. So, I am going to take one day a week to make a raw food detox day. I am starting this Monday and going to continue to do so every Monday. I am going to stock up on veggies, fruits, raw nuts this weekend and see how it goes! Anyone ever done this only once a week, or currently doing it? Also, who's in to join me? It's a good way to clear out our bodies after weekends!

Replies

• lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    exactly how would this raw diet work?
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    I tried eating raw for a day once and it was so hard. I never could get filled up enough... How do you keep youself full? I'm interesting in joining you.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    There's all kinds of Raw "foodie" videos on youtube of recipes, ideas and so forth!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    I am so in for this,it sounds like a great idea. As long tea counts Im set.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    I would be curious to try this....
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    One day a week... for how long?
  • ambie35
    Forever! lol or at least till you get invited out for dinner on a monday :P
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    I am in! I like doing these challenges! Mondays then?
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    About 8 years ago I tried the raw food diet. Did it for about 6 weeks, and gained 4 lbs I was really pissed i can tell you hahaha.

I ate a lot of different forms of coleslaw, and salads. I think granola and muesli would count as well if you just soak them over night and not cook them.

all fruit smoothies would work as well.

avacado with lime, raw veggies, can't remember if peanut butter counts since it's roasted hmmmm.

some consider anything 'cooked' less then 250 to be 'raw', so dried fruits and even some jerky's would fit into this. I think you can probably find some recipes for crackers or similar items that you bake at a low temp so you don't kill off the natural stuff.

Ven
  • ambie35
    would dairy count? Like yogurt and milk in a fruit smoothie? It is technically raw... please excuse me if this question is daft.
  • ambie35
    reading up on it a bit,seems "dairy" wouldn't be acceptable but nut milk is okay. Guess I will be picking up some almond milk I've been meaning to try.
  • Flacachica
    Flacachica Posts: 328 Member
    Count me in! I agree... it's a great way to go, but once a week is probably more realistic for me. Let's give it a try!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Give me an example of a day with raw food for under $10.
  • Atleast40
    Atleast40 Posts: 62 Member
    I think that I'm going to give this a try. If I'm not able to get all of the foods that I need to start this upcoming Monday, then I'll try next Monday. What a neat idea!
  • Red13
    Since I'm new to raw foods and haven't ever tried it, I'll leave it to each person's own discretion on certain items such as tea, dried fruits, etc. Some sources say these aren't considered raw unless dried by the sun. I guess it depends on how technical you want to get. I won't be eating dried fruits but will probably have tea. Dairy is not raw and neither is almond milk. You can drink coconut milk from an actual coconut :) BTW, if Mondays aren't your ideal day to do the raw fast, then pick a day you can stick with.

So now I need some creative ideas for what to eat :) I'm mostly trying to think of things I could make into a dressing or dip because I don't think eating veggies without having something to go along with it will help me any. Cold pressed olive oil is raw, balsamic vinegar is raw and I also thought of making dressing/dip out of avocados. Are there any other ideas out there?
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Raw is not as hard as y'all make it sound. I'm raw usually for a season. If you're just doing it for a little while then you can just hang out, but if you plan to make it a life long goal, then you have to get all the toys and plan Plan PLAN
  • cytrus
    cytrus Posts: 25 Member
    For anyone looking for more information on raw food or recipes, may I suggest the blog raw on $10? and Raw food Rehab?

http://rawon10.blogspot.com/ She makes a day's worth of food for under $10. She also gives you nutritional values. You'll see.

http://rawfoodrehab.ning.com/ RFR is a whole raw community, whether you want recipes, more info, health concerns, you name it, its there.
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    YEP!!! count me in!
  • I'm in. I'm already a vegetarian so adding a raw day shouldn't be too bad.

These are 2 raw blogs I follow so they may be helpful as far as recipes go:
    http://kimberlysnyder.net/category/recipes/
    http://girlonraw.com/
  • Red13
    well, halfway through the day and it's not bad at all. I'm not as hungry as I thought I would be. How's everyone else doing?
This discussion has been closed.