Reps or weight???

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before but: which is better for toning? Increasing reps or increasing weight? I don't want to look bulky (I'm short and compact already) . . .

Also: are hand weights (5, 8, 10 pounds) as/less/more effective than the machines at a gym?

Replies

• 2day4ever
    2day4ever Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked before but: which is better for toning? Increasing reps or increasing weight? I don't want to look bulky (I'm short and compact already) . . .

Also: are hand weights (5, 8, 10 pounds) as/less/more effective than the machines at a gym?
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Well i have always been told that more reps. will tone you and more weight will bulk you up. Now what i am doing right now is alternating my weight and reps. like i started out with 4 sets of 25 reps. at X-mount of weight. then do that until its comfortable and then add more reps. then more weight after that. so far it is working out ok for me. well will see though. so thats my two cents. i hope it helps.
  • jbeasinger
    jbeasinger Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    yeah i second that!:glasses:
  • jdtrainer
    jdtrainer Posts: 160
    Options
    Higher reps with lower weight is better for toning. You can get a great workout with hand weights, provided that the weight , or the number of reps, is high enough, to make the last 2-3 reps hard. If it is too easy, increase the weight or the reps.
  • dashielldo
    Options
    Take a look at Tom Venuto's site - burnthe fat feed the muscle - he says there is so difference between "toning" and "bulking up"- there is only developing muscle vs. fat - and that high reps with low weight will not do much - you need to constantly challenge your body as it adapts very quickly to whatever routine you have - one possibility is to do one set of 12 at a weight which is challenging by the last rep or so, then 2nd set, add weight and do 8 reps, then 3rd set add more weight and do 6 reps, then 4th set do 12 reps again at original weight (and each time you work out you want to change it up - add a rep to a set, add weight, etc) -
    Hope that helps!
  • 2day4ever
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for the feedback and advice. I think I'll try the suggestion of reps with low weights until that is too easy and then I will move up, like many of you are doing. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks again!
  • lisha
    lisha Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I was just about to start searching the web and being new, I'm learning this site has so much to offer. Thanks.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Can I just add one more comment - women cannot 'bulk' up - we don't have enough testosterone to get bulky. You will see more definition in your muscles but will not become the Hulk!
  • 2day4ever
    Options
    Whew! Good reminder that we cannot "bulk up" ~ I do know what you mean. But I just don't want to look "stocky" either. Anyway, great reminders and good advice. Thank you!