Ok, I need some advice, I don't want to be cheating myself..

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice as I am worried I am over-estimating exercise calories and stuff.

So little background : Mummy to two girls under 5, working full-time. My job generally involves me being on my feet all day, sometimes I can be really, really busy, other days just busy. with an occasional couple of hours sitting working on a pc.
Because the amount of activity varies I don't include any exercise in my MFP base numbers.
I try to do a good workout on the wii-ft every day (although it has slipped last couple due to family stuff) so thats minimum of 30 mins - to an hour (actual activity not total time on wii)
I have recently moved to a different building so I now walk up the five floors at least once a day. and when I am walking to stations and home etc, I always go for a fast pace rather than a stroll if you understand what I mean.
I track the walking with cardio trainer on my phone, and then add that in to MFP - i always round these numbers down.

I am loosing weight ( so why am I worried) it's just I am worried I am loosing it too fast, I have got a lot to loose, and I am in this for the long term lifestyle changes not a quick fix.
I've lost over 3lb's the last two weeks and over 14lb since christmas (some before MFP)

I can't eat eggs or cheese more than 1-2 times a week as I have an intollerance to them. (anything with lots of yolk is out!)
and I don't do well with beans & pulses or fish (except prawns) - i know i'm weird!

I ate some bad choices last night, yet I still had loads of calories left by the time I went to bed.

thanks for reading my waffle

TM.

Replies

• leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Because you have a high gaol, loosing weight at first will be faster. I am loosing 1-2lbs a week, which is what my goal was when I started here...sounds like you are on the right track with that. If you feel sore or really tired from working out too much, you may need a break. You should always have "rest days" in between work out days to let your body rest and heal up...I guess just keep on track with making good choices in food and exercise and if you're really concerned you could consult your family doctor.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I'm doing all of this under the direction of a nutritionist. I lost 10 pounds in two weeks, and it wasn't even my first two weeks doing this, it was within the last month, and she said that my results are normal and satisfactory. Depending on how large you are to start, you will lose a lot faster at first. If I am 245 and my friend is 145 pounds and we both want to lose 20 pounds, it's a much smaller percentage of body fat for me then it is for her, so I'll lose it faster.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Because you have a large goal and a larger amount of body fat, you can withstand a faster rate of loss. 1.5 lbs per week is not unreasonable at your weight, so I wouldn't worry about that being too fast.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if you were OVERestimating your exercise cals, you would be losing slower, not faster. So if anything, if you're losing faster than your goal, you could be UNDERestimating your exercise. You may want to change your activity level to the next highest one if you're concerned that you're losing too fast; that should give you slightly more cals per day, and could slow the loss a bit. However, you may just be in a "fast" mode right now from making healthy changes, and the weight tends to come off faster in the beginning and then slow down.

The other aspect of losing too fast, or having too low of a daily cal goal is mental. If you are feeling deprived, it can backfire. You don't want to lower your daily intake too quickly, as that can lead to binging. As long as you're feeling satisfied, not hungry a lot, not tired/fatigued, and not having bad cravings, you are probably doing ok with this.

As mentioned, remember to keep a rest day in your exercise plan, as the body needs time to repair. Other than that, it sounds like you're doing quite well and on the path to success. Good luck to you!
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not starving yourself (going under your minimum calories on a regular basis), you are probably fine. I lost 10 lbs the first week and half that I changed my diet, and then progress slowly tapered off. I think I had at least 10 lbs of bloating and as soon as I stopped eating processed foods and carbonated beverages, it kind of shook up my system. Just enjoy this part of the journey, and get yourself mentally prepared for the likely weight loss plateau. I lost 25 lbs fairly quickly, and am now at a plateau. That's why I joined this site- to get myself over this next hump. I realized that changing the food was a good first step, but now I need to monitor portions, and add more exercise to the mix in order to get the next level of results. You sound like you've been doing all the right things. I hope you keep with it, you are setting a great example for your daughters. Congratulations on the success you have had!