About to give up..

Options
I went on the scales today to weigh myself to find that I gained .5kg in just 2 days. Yes I was over a few calories yesterday, a few being 1000 due to a feast.
T_T Why can't I lose weight as fast as I gain. >_> What happened to losing weight is easy. I've changed so many things already and nothing has happened.

I started Taekwondo and Lion Dancing and it's doing nothing really. I even eat a bit less then I used too, making sure I keep in the 200calories range of what I should be eating.

Replies

• bitabee
    bitabee Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!
    We all have bad days, bad weeks, bad months...but getting healthy and in shape is a process, a journey...
    As Scarlett O'Hara would say..."Tomorrow is another day!"

You can do it!!
  • MissWait
    MissWait Posts: 160
    Options
    Don't give up...It's hard work trying to change ourselves! Everyday is a new day and a new challenge!
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    Options
    dont give up!! things will get even worse not better if you give up! try changing a few different things each week to see what works best for you. different things work for different people. the fact that your ttying out class like Taekwondo is fantasic but its 50% movement and 50%healthy eating... maybe look at other people food diaries to get some meal ideas? good luck!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    We all 'fall off the wagon' from time to time... Saying that 1000 Kcal's over is a lot!

Just start again... Every day is a new day!

You will only suceed if you want to suceed!
  • LowCarbAmanda
    Options
    I can gain up to 7 lbs during my time of the month, and it piles on quickly! It's obviously water weight, and it falls off just as quickly afterwards, but it can be scary and discouraging if you aren't expecting it. Perhaps this is something to consider?
  • superninjatam
    superninjatam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. Some days I am up 1.5kg! Then it crashes down again. You can't go on a day-to-day reading - it has to be longer week-to-week. A few cups of water could be responsible for the 0.5kg!

Don't be a quitter. How will you get through life if a small setback makes you give up??
  • superninjatam
    superninjatam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh and I can easily go over 2000 in an evening due to drink and dinner! I just resolve to make up for it during the week by eating less and excercising more. It's not rocket science and it's not a hopeless situation!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!!! I've been at this for a year now and there are times when my weight goes down and there are times when it goes up. Fluctuations are normal in life and the reality is, if we weren't trying to lose weight (if we were those who are always slim) we wouldn't even likely notice the small fluctuations that get us down. And 0.5kg (1 whole pound) is absolutely nothing!! I've learned that getting on the scale each day will drive you crazy because of the fluctuations that can ahppen in a day or a few days.
    Take it as the opportunity to have an amazing weight loss next week!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you give up you'll be back to square one where you decided to do something in the first place.
    You'll be fine.
    Get back on the wagon with us. :O)
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    dont give up...i put on 300g this week due to my own extras with my sons bday....hang in there turn over a new leaf thats what im gunna do...cant change yesterday but can do something about 2moro...its all about better choices:wink:
  • jnknzxD
    jnknzxD Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the support. @_@ It's just getting me down and things are getting out of control in my life, that's probably why I haven't been as motivated as before.

As for healthy eating, it's hard to due to my family, since we just eat whatever we can. Lately we've been going out to eat though because my mum and dad haven't been bothered to cook and I'm way to busy to cook with 12th grade and all. I don't know what to do though..
  • kps1104
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP!!!!! I find that with me, things got worse before they got better. I gained weight and was doing everything right. I kept it up though and now I am finally starting to see great results! I lost inches before I even lost any weight, and now the weight is starting to come down slowly, but its going down :) just keep at it!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Firstly, let me say that I don't think you should give up. That being said, of course you've gained weight. I looked at your diary and you've been over your calories by 500-1000 for several days now. You can't lose weight if you're consistently that far over your calories. Also, if you eat four pieces of pizza, expect to at least gain a little water overnight. When we go out to eat, I know that I'll be heavier the next day. I ignore it, work harder, and hope to see a loss by the end of the week. You can do this. Get your mind in the right place and you will.
  • littledude82
    Options
    it is hard to keep up the healthy eating when you are around people who isn't, the only thing i can suggest is whatever food is put in front of you, just don't eat it all, eat it slowly so your brain can accurately tell you when your full then stop eating when you are. you will be amazed how many less calories you consume by doing it that way. don't give up, you will find your motivation again and keep reminding yourself what you really want out of this weight loss and im sure you will be fine :-)
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the support. @_@ It's just getting me down and things are getting out of control in my life, that's probably why I haven't been as motivated as before.

As for healthy eating, it's hard to due to my family, since we just eat whatever we can. Lately we've been going out to eat though because my mum and dad haven't been bothered to cook and I'm way to busy to cook with 12th grade and all. I don't know what to do though..

it can be hard to make your own food choices when you're still relying on your parents to fill up those cupboards :) maybe you could make it your goal to watch your portions and make healthier choices when it seems you are going out so much in a short time. and it can't hurt to ask them to help you with making some healthier food when you're at home! but if you give up, there's no way you can succeed! you can do it, it will just take some time to learn better habits :)
  • princesschikee
    Options
    If you are up for ideas, how about this. I looked at your diary and noticed you only ate twice in one day. It also sounds like your options are limited, but if you could possibly eat more often (preferably 5 times a day and smaller meals). Your body needs food every few hours to maintain energy and boost metabolism (burn calories). You have to lift weights to lose body fat.
    It's great that you want to lose weight and be healthy, but you will have to start making better choices. You can eat out, but with any restaurant, their foods are so laden with salt and it's hard to know how many calories.
    You've come to the right place to get educated about food and fitness.
    (It takes your body 3 days to digest pizza) When I read that, I immediately took it off my list.
    Hang in there and ask questions.
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hello,

We both have about the same weight, I think, and I am supposed to eat about 1550 cal, so I don't know how you want to stay at 1200 without feeling hungry. In addition, if you're at 1550 and over by 150, that doesn't look as bad as 1200 and over by 500 ;)
    I'd suggest you check your BMR, and start by little steps (decreasing calories slightly, be more active, drink more water) instead of radical changes. That way, your body has time to adapt, and you won't feel so down or even hungry (if that should be the case, I certainly had that problem).

I hope that helps and good luck, hang in there :) xx
  • cooki3s
    Options
    One of my dad's favourite sayings - the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step.
    It is hard when other family members are following unhealthy eating habits.. but it is doable.. take it slowly, one step at a time.
    We all have had slip-up days/weeks... especially in stressful times.
    Grade 12 is also quite a stressful period.. I'd suggest maybe finding some activity that helps relieve your stress - I like to walk/jog with my music, my friend goes for swimming class, some dance etc... Physical activity instead of resorting to food to help destress and trust me - chocolate has been my double edged sword in the past.
    All the best though, keep persevering!
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    1) Your body has natural weekly weight patterns. That is why unless you are going to actually graph your weight daily to find a trend, like I'm doing, weekly weighing at the same time and day is best. Some would say don't weigh yourself, just weight your food! Count your food scales and your bathroom scales will look after themselves.
    2) if you want a laugh at "falling off the wagon" look at my last Sundays diary. Even that was probably an under estimate! Nearly a week later and by being good the weight started coming off.
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I just looked thru your food diary and from what I can see your calories are over by 500 to almost 1000. Pizza for breakfast, Donuts for breakfast.... your having 2 or 3 meals a day... you need to eat healthier choice foods and 5 or 6 small meals a day...You can do it!!! Just gotta set your mind to it!
    Good luck on your journey to a healthier you!!