Thyroid ( Hypo) and weight loss

Options
Hi All
I have just joined a week ago and am working hard to get back into shape.

I used to be very svelte and low weighted until my thyroid stop functioning and i Was put on Levothyroxine.

Now I have gained over three stone even though my diet is very healthy and lifestyle good. No smoking no alcohol.

I am now "in training " and attacking this problem with everything I have to try to lose the weight. Does anyone else have the same problem and can anyone assist with good advice from personal experience.

I am doing over 500 calories of EXERCISE every day and doing 30 minutes gym work on the machines as well as eating about 1200 to 1500 calories. I am in this for the long haul and will revert to exercise three to four times a week once I have reached fitness again.

Catherine

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Mine did not stop working but my metabolism just stopped. I was told that I would never lose weight and would have to live this way after gaining 70 lbs which was almost another me. I feel your pain but I've found that exercising and changing my Lifestyle to a healthier food chooses that I'm losing weight. I've lost 8 lbs in a little over a month so it can be done. It will not happen fast but it will happen.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    back in august i was diagnosed with a 'slow thyroid' after months of trying to convince my doctor that i had a gained 30 pounds and workout/eating right wasn't doing anything for me. she put me on levothroxine and i have felt amazing ever since! i started on here in the middle of january and i have lost 8 pounds so far. i am on 1200 caalories a day and i have been trying to exercise at least 45 minutes 5 times a week.
    keep at it the weight will come off! slow and steady wins the race!
    friend me if you like!
  • crsugarman
    Options
    Hi Catherine,
    My name is Christine and I joined a month ago. I must admit, I have not been working very hard - over the past two weeks! I too am on thyroid medication. My thyroid was removed 11 years ago due to thyroid cancer. Prior to that, I was in good shape and never had a weight problem. My weight increase started 6 months before my cancer diagnosis. That was actually one of the symptoms that brought me to my doctor. I had gained 10 lbs in 3 months (this occurred several months after I finished my annual 2 day 170+ mile bike ride for MS). I have struggled with weight ever since. My doctor does not believe my weight gain has anything to do with my thyroid (or lack there of). Several years ago, I too felt that maybe I could do more - exercise more - to lose weight. I went a bit overboard with my spin classes and damaged my hamstring. Good Grief! Well I'm not giving up. I joined my fitness pal and even though I have had a slow start I am determined to improve my health. I have started walking every day and I am researching the effects of menopause and hypothyroidism on weight gain. Several sites I have found helpful are:
    http://www.doctoroz.com/
    http://thyroid.about.com/bio/Mary-Shomon-350.htm
    I am also re-examining my diet and looking seriously at carbohydrates - which I have always chosen to ignore the need to control because I love them so much. One diet plan that I had very good luck with years ago was South Beach. I may revisit it. I remember feeling very healthy and in control with using that plan as a guide.
    Good luck!
    BTW: I wonder if any of the new multi-vitamins would help with hypothyroid issues? I have been seeing several companies advertising vitamins with energy/metabolism boosting properties. Not sure what that is all about...I will have to look into it.
  • buchmansrus
    buchmansrus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new here too. I have thyroid problems too. I have found out that when I went off my synthroid that even working out 6 days a week I will NOT lose any weight at all and if I stop I will gain rapidly.
    If I work out 5-6 days a week (atleast 2 hours) while taking my meds I average about 1 lb lost a week.

Now, I know I should take all my meds, including my cholesterol but I have an extremely bad memory and forget alot but lately I've been sticking up post its around.

Do you have a bad memory too? I hear thats also a part of the thyroid problem
  • denacutrone
    Options
    i have never heard about the bad memory thing with the thyroid issues i will have to research that.
    has anyone ever read anything about oatmeal being bad for your thyroid as in it binds with iodine so your thyroid can't function properly?? i wonder if i should not be eating oatmeal for breakfast so close to when i take my meds