Calories Burned By Coaching Sports - A little bit overboard?

Options
I dont see how accurate this site is with the calories burned by coaching a sport. I coach lacrosse and I am pretty active while I coach but it seems like a lot of calories they are claiming I burn. Anyone have any info on this to make it make sense? I have checked other sites and they say the same thing with the calorie count.

Replies

• dodoodoodo
    dodoodoodo Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    you should get a heart rate monitor and then you will have an accurate reading :)
  • emilyness
    emilyness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was also wondering about this (I coach gymnastics). The calories that myfitnesspal says you burn seems a bit high. I checked a few other website and one said 120-178 calories/half hour; the other site said 140cal/half hour. So, that would translate into the 200-300 calories per hour range. Obviously it depends on how active a coach you are. I would guess that I burn as many calories as if I was walking at a slow pace and myfitnesspal puts that at around 200/hour. I coached 4 hours tonight...and I think I am going to claim at least 500!
  • edie14
    edie14 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi
    I too have been wondering about this and found quite a good site - you out in your details and it calculates your calories burned. I feel its a much more realistics measurement for things like coaching.
    E
    http://www.fitday.com/webfit/exerciseinfopage.html
  • gillyb1960
    Options
    I put in the time I spend gardening - (a lot!) and it tells me that I burn an amazing amount of calories compared to the machines I use in the gym. I always reduce the time to make it seem more realistic but am thinking of investing in a heart rate monitor for a more accurate measurement. Will have a look at the site first though - thanks!!