Asthma and exercise

Options
I'm back in the working out game and I find myself having a wheezing and coughing fit more than usual when I DO work out as of late. I'm not sure if it's the odd shift in weather or what, but I hate it. It discourages me soooo much. My doctor has assured me that my asthma will most likely lighten up as I lose more weight. But I find it difficult to do some hardcore exercising and lose weight efficiently. Granted, I am losing weight... but still. I feel as though the asthma is a burden and hinders me from exercising more than I do.

Did/does experience this?

Replies

• italy1677
    Options
    I have a slight bit of asthma but I'm at a healthy and it's not too severe for me when I run. The youngest person to run a mile in under 4 minutes had asthma. Just keep trying to work out and if you can do lower intensity things like walking for a longer time :wink:
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I take 3 things with me when I work out..Inhaler, water, ipod :) I got it really bad the first 30 days but now have started to not have to use my inhaler...Give it sometime..
    Do not work out if you have asthma and no rescue:wink: inhaler though IMHO
  • mrsmooset
    mrsmooset Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, you should just try to build up to a full work out or to full intensity, a bit at a time untill you can manage it more easily.:smile:
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have asthma and i do the same thing. but i think the fact that it is winter anf the air quality here is terrible complicates thigns more. infact, most days during november to may, i can't workout outside because of it. i just try to do lower impact for a bit longer, and when the air improves in summer, i can work on increasing intensity. it's frustrating in winter, but it's what i need to do to stay healthy.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    With asthma, exercise is great, but you have to build up slowly. Work at a level where you're breathing hard, but not triggering an attack. For example, you might start out with walking for a couple of weeks, then walking a little faster, then adding a minute or two of jogging in there, then a slow steady jog, etc. Build up to it.

Also, remember that most of weight loss is in your diet. If you can't burn 600 calories in a day from working out (I know I can't), just stick to your dietary goals and you'll lose. Exercise is to get your body in shape, and that's great, but you don't actually have to work out just to lose weight. Keep that in mind. Push yourself so you can get healthy, because that's what exercise is about, but don't feel like you have to sweat for 3 hours at the gym every day to lose the weight. You don't. Do what you can, and watch what you eat.
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    Hi

I have asthma and have a lot of weight to lose. I found the best thing for asthma no matter how little you do is to go swimming. it opens up your airways a little more when you have to hold your breath in a controlled manner between strokes.Combine that with a gym and swim and youll see faster results. I just wish I had enough time and money to use my local facilities as they are great as an all in one place to do this!

I hope this helps. feel free to add me too :smile:
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I take 3 things with me when I work out..Inhaler, water, ipod :) I got it really bad the first 30 days but now have started to not have to use my inhaler...Give it sometime..

Absolute ditto. I actually use 2 puffs of my Ventolin about 20 minutes before my workout and of course I keep it with me during workouts. The first month of tough workouts I still would end up tight and coughing at times. Just listen to your body. I do not have severe asthma (mine is mainly exercise induced, cold induced and it does get bad if I get any upper respiratory illness), but for me it has gotten better as I have lost weight and worked out more. Lately, I have even had some days where I forgot to take my two puffs before exercise and I have made it through OK. But, yes...ALWAYS have rescue inhaler with you!
  • aehenson
    Options
    I have asthma too & I am a runner. Just listen to your body & when you need to slow down the intensity, just slow it down. You're making a lifestyle change, you don't have to get there today.
  • chefchazz
    Options
    ive had asthma for 33 yrs. i wheeze everyday. what i ALWAYS do before any cardio workout is a breathing treatment. it helps alot. if you dont have a nebulizer, try your inhaler 10min before you start.
    and your dr. is right. my numbers improved a great deal after i dropped weight.
  • ShadowSpiritRider
    Options
    I have asthma as well, and yes, it can be a real headache when you're trying to make those healthier lifestyle changes (exercise).

You're right to consult your doctor, asthma is nothing to mess with, just make sure you keep him/her in the loop as your progress so that he/she can assist you with changes.

I would also consider talking with a trainer at your gym. You don't have to go all out and buy one for a million years, but a few sessions (with the right trainer!) can make all the difference in not only your exercise routine, but your overall attitude as well. I have a trainer and she not only helps me "work around" my knee issues, but is also aware of my asthma. The 1-on-1 workouts I have with her once a week are not only motivating for the weight-loss portion, but also very educational on how my body works, and why certain exercises work and others don't.

And keep in mind that personal trainers are like doctors/dentists/hairstylists .. you won't always get the "right one" for you on the first try, but be honest with yourself and ask for another until you meet the one that meets your needs. Yes, it is uncomfortable asking to switch to someone else (read bio's at the gym, talk to the head trainer, etc.), but you aren't doing anyone any favors by not getting the best out of your workout, or by taking up that hour of their time either.

You're doing this for yourself .. so make yourself the priority!
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options

Absolute ditto. I actually use 2 puffs of my Ventolin about 20 minutes before my workout and of course I keep it with me during workouts. The first month of tough workouts I still would end up tight and coughing at times. Just listen to your body. I do not have severe asthma (mine is mainly exercise induced, cold induced and it does get bad if I get any upper respiratory illness), but for me it has gotten better as I have lost weight and worked out more. Lately, I have even had some days where I forgot to take my two puffs before exercise and I have made it through OK. But, yes...ALWAYS have rescue inhaler with you!

What they said, I ran out of my inhaler last night, so only did 10 mins of exercise this morning, waiting for it to be refilled and then will hit the bike again. . .it's scary, I know, I find a cough drop helps tho. for some strange reason
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I developed asthma when I was 16 (thanks to Nixxy74 pointing out my wheezing breathe wasnt normal and go see a doctor) At the start I was chronic - my peak flow at its BEST was 94 - I was hospitalised quite alot at the start and on various other medications.

Im 21 now and only last month got the "all clear" my peak flow is now at 450 which is within the "normal" readings! I physically couldnt exercise at the start but I did ALOT of swimming, roughly 3 or 4 times a week, 90minute sessions at a time making sure I did at least 50 laps! That mixed with eating healthy helped me, and until January that was my normal workout - now I can do gym workouts and only once since then have I given myself a stitch.

If you can start with swimming until you build your lungs up a bit then please do because that was the only thing that got me from chronic to normal!
  • MmhmmStephanie
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and advice. I will definitely talk to my doctor about getting an inhaler. I used to take Qvar (spelling?) but I was never given any refills because they thought it was just allergies. Then I had Advair, which worked great. And again, no refills. So yeah, definitely talking to my doctor about getting a full year's prescription. Or at least until I've lost enough weight so I don't have to use it as often.