exercising RN...what to do?what to do?

Options
OK...........I am a RN (nurse) and work 3-4 twelve hour shifts a week. must be at work at 630am.:yawn: ...I am not a morning person...its hard for me to wake up and get going. On days I work...im too tired to hit the gym afterwards....and cant seem to fall asleep early enough to wake up and hour earlier to work out before work.....Any tips on how to squeeze it in?? Do you guys think it benefits you MORE to exercise at the beginning of the day vs afternoon or night? Let me know :)

Replies

• roromclarty
    Options
    OK...........I am a RN (nurse) and work 3-4 twelve hour shifts a week. must be at work at 630am.:yawn: ...I am not a morning person...its hard for me to wake up and get going. On days I work...im too tired to hit the gym afterwards....and cant seem to fall asleep early enough to wake up and hour earlier to work out before work.....Any tips on how to squeeze it in?? Do you guys think it benefits you MORE to exercise at the beginning of the day vs afternoon or night? Let me know :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I know, and believe that you are tired after working as a nurse! But, my advice to you is to find a gym on your way home, take your workout clothes with you to work and workout right after work. I forced myself to do this when I was starting out (at the time I was substitute teaching. . .pretty exhausting!) I too could not get up early enough to workout before work, but if I had gone home, I never would have made it back out to the gym.

You'll be amazed, that you'll work off all of your stress at the gym, and probably sleep better. I actually started to look forward to it. You probably should have a light snack to keep up your energy!

There are lots of opinions about time of day, but my opinion is to find a time you can stick with.:flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I am also one of those who has to exercise before going home, otherwise I'll never leave the house again that night! Another thing you could do is work out on all your days off, and then on only 1-2 of your work days. Exercise at a time of day you're likely to do it--I don't think morning or evening matters.
  • marisa0918
    marisa0918 Posts: 178
    Options
    I know what you mean. I work 4 days and am away from the house 12 -13 hours, then come home cook dinner and take care of my 1 year old.

My schedule is usually 1 or 2 days rest (my work days). Then on the other days I work I do cardio while dinner is in the oven. On my days off I weight train and do cardio. In the beginning can you try to exercise at home instead of going to a gym? That's the only way I can fit it in.

I used to be one of those people who had no energy what-so-ever, but I am noticing that I am getting a lot more. I still hit the snozze button in the morn ( I just can't get out of bed before 6), but during the day and in the evenings I have a ton more energy. I've been counting calories and exercising for about 3 months now, but I didn't notice the energy until I cleaned my diet up. I started drinking 2 protein drinks a day and trying to eat "clean" food instead of just eating what I thought was healthy and logging in the calories.
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse, too. I work 2-3 12h/w-not quite as many as you, BUT--I find that exercising after work is the only way I can do it. I am not a morning person and have a hard enough time getting up at 0530 for work, let alone any earlier to exercise. Usually on work days I will wait unti lthe kids are in bed, and the hubby and I go for a 40 minute jog. I hate it, but I guess I am determined enough to lose these last few pounds and look sassy in a bikini this summer to do it! hehe Kind of keeps me awake for a bit, so that part is hard. A nice long, warm shower after is a nice way to relax and get ready for bed.

Hope this helps!