Knee impact during 30 Day Shred - please help

Options
Hi, I'm on L2D7 of the shred and I'm having to take anti-inflamatories because the impact is playing havoc with my knees. I am 30 odd pounds over weight for my height (5ft 4) and I work out with no trainers on because I'm at home. So, question is, should I be wearing trainers when I work out at home (on a carpet) and is this probably the reason I have knee problems? Does anyone else workout at home barefoot?

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I just assumed people wore sneakers/trainers for all workouts except yoga or something else that specifically says not to. I guess my guideline would be...if the people leading the video wear shoes, you should wear shoes.

Not convinced that this will resolve your knee issues, just my opinion! :bigsmile:
  • toodleton
    Options
    I actually had to stop 30DS because of injury to my knee within the first week, I was afraid of permanent damage so I just stopped it altogether. Didn't think it was worth the risk of serious injury not to mention the pain and swelling from those side lunges.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Definitely wear shoes. They give you support.
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I had the same problem with The Shred. I wore my shoes during it but I think it was just too much for my knees at the time. I was also about 30lbs overweight and at 5'3". I had to take a break and go back to it (occasionally) when I lost some weight and got stronger.
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have had runner's knee in the past, and any excercise when I first start out bother's it so bad. I am on L2D10 and I can tell you that it has gotten better for me... I just kept going because I know my body, and knew that's what it always does. However if you feel like it's worsening, I would stop and go with something low impact because you don't want to mess something up. I am also 30 pounds overweight. I think Jillian just wants us to die, LOL
  • babieo4
    Options
    I haven't been wearing any either. Figured the same thing. I'm at home, on carpet. No injuries so far and no knee problems. But I'm still just starting. Have a hard time with the lunges and side lunges. Maybe I should look into some shoes....
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Definitely wear shoes, and do lower-impact versions of some of the moves (don't go down as far for lunges, etc). I've also taken to filling in other moves during her higher-impact exercises (surrenders, etc)
  • Brookejanae
    Options
    I've worked out both barefoot and with shoes on at home. I have serious knee issues (recovering from a second knee surgery right now) and I haven't noticed a difference between the two.
  • LoriLou67
    LoriLou67 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, and not with 30DS but with any jumping, including jumping jacks. I always wear good shoes. I moved my workout area downstairs and invested in rubber mats ($20 for a packet of six at WalMart). I still avoid most jumping activities (jump on my bike for those segments and pedal like a mad woman), but the rest of me feels much better with the cushioning. I know Jillian says she has 400-pound people doing jumping jacks, but I am not willing to blow a knee or worsen something preexisting in there.

In addition to anti-inflams, ice will help too.
  • bigmang
    Options
    I've got dodgy knees and run, I have running shoes suitable for someone my size & gait, I make sure I take anti-inflammatories every morning and after a workout, and I use ice on my knees immediately after every workout, don't forget the benefit of stretching correctly after exercise.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    im doing the 30 day shred im on L1D3...and im experiencing almost the same problem. I been doing it with out shoes the first 2 days because its so difficult to do some of the moves on my carpet...but then my hamstring was giving me a hard time...feels like a cramp extending into my calf....anyhow...i did todays workout with shoes and felt less pressure on my leg...so im going to see how it goes for the next few days and see if it helped...but i recommend that you maybe take a 1 day break...and let your knees recover...ut may be that your knees are not used to having that extra weight and work out intensity and its just trying to adjust.
  • ms_erica
    ms_erica Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I think Jillian just wants us to die, LOL

ahahaha...it sure feels that way :laugh:
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I wore good shoes and still hurt my knees-had to take time of to recover-elevating and icing has helped so far-I think if u have weak knees already u need to either modify the moves or do something different at those intervals
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I don't wear shoes and am on L2D18 (sometimes I do it twice a day even). I haven't had to many problems with my knees but I switch between high impact and low impact versions. Are you doing the moves right and bending the right way? That may be part of the issue but then again everyone's body is different and can react differently to things. Pay attention to your form and see if maybe you are coming to far out with the knee and such. Just take it easy and do what you can and don't be ashamed if you have to do low impact. Hang in there!! :)
  • HBean
    HBean Posts: 55
    Options
    I have had runner's knee in the past, and any excercise when I first start out bother's it so bad. I am on L2D10 and I can tell you that it has gotten better for me... I just kept going because I know my body, and knew that's what it always does. However if you feel like it's worsening, I would stop and go with something low impact because you don't want to mess something up. I am also 30 pounds overweight. I think Jillian just wants us to die, LOL

Hahaha I agree, at the point where she shouts, 'I want you to feel like you're gonna die!!' I'm nodding at the TV feeling awful!
    Thanks for all the advice everyone, I'm gonna try wearing shoes and putting a rubber mat down on the floor, think the oblique twists might have to wait....
  • mhoch
    mhoch Posts: 50
    Options
    Yea I am about the same, 25 lbs OW and doing 30DS, and my knees have been killing me! Not during the workout but when Im just standing around, straight up. Not taking anything for it though. I did level 1 without shoes but moved to with shoes for level 2 because I was sliding during the plank stuff.

But yea, guess I will go look for some new shoes that are more supportive. Hope your knees feel better!
  • Mollywater
    Mollywater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I had to stop doing the SHRED due to knee pain! I am doing Bob Harpers Cardio impact instead, with shoes, and so far no knee problems.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I, too. am on L2D2 of the shred and some of the moves really get to my knees as well. In the first strength circuit, I do push ups rather than the walkout push ups and I always follow Anita on the plank jacks (or whatever they are called) as well as the squat thrust things. LOL sorry I forget all of her technical names, but you probably know which moves I am talking about! I would definitely recommend wearing shoes as well.
  • SDormer91
    Options
    Can those who are suggesting low-impact modifications please link or describe these moves? Also, what is the low impact version of a jumping jack?
    Whenever my knees or calves (I have a lower back issue that makes my calves tight enough to feel like they are pulling when I go walking) hurt during this I switch to the boxing - it's still cardio, you don't have to move from in front of the video and it's low impact :)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I do 30DS Level 2 and I injured my knee doing something else. While my knee is heeling instead of doing the high impact like jumping jacks I jump on my stationary bike and petal hard and/or do punches. There is no modified jumping jacks or skip rope. But for the plank jacks etc just follow the blonde girl. I can't do lunges right now either so instead I do squat moves or stationary squat position.