Wheeeeee! I'm on TV!

Options
wanderinglight
wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
Hi Everyone,

Check me out! I started a dog rescue organization in Detroit and was interviewed this morning LIVE on Fox News in Detroit!

A little back story: I created a show for the Discovery Channel based on the stray dogs of Detroit, but the city shut it down because they didn't want people to see how bad the situation is. So I put up a youtube video which shows a little of what I've seen in the city, and formed a rescue organization to try and save some of the dogs. And we got such a great response to it and lots of press, which has been amazing!!!! Anyway, just thought I'd share!

Here's the news piece which aired today:
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/mornings/weekend/detroit-dog-rescue's-plan-to-raise-money-for-a-no-kill-animal-shelter-20110225-md

And here's the original video which went viral:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bxTO_Q-5k

Replies

• VialOfDreams
    Options
    I will definitely check it out. You are amazing for putting this together!
  • father5
    Options
    You should be proud of yourself. Congratulations on your success!
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That is great!! Loved watching the clip (and you looked great- btw: ) I was thinking, though, that I adopted my dog from a local shelter, but he came in with a 'shipment' of dogs from New Orleans/Mississippi after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina. Our shelter got a few shipments, and I know the dogs were being flown all over the US. Is there no way these dogs in Detroit might be handled in a similar way? Perhaps this could be a start to finding some of them homes??
    Kudos to you for bringing the problem to light in such a positive way:flowerforyou:
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    that is amazing! and who said one person can't change the world? *S*
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    That is great!! Loved watching the clip (and you looked great- btw: ) I was thinking, though, that I adopted my dog from a local shelter, but he came in with a 'shipment' of dogs from New Orleans/Mississippi after Hurricanes Rita and Katrina. Our shelter got a few shipments, and I know the dogs were being flown all over the US. Is there no way these dogs in Detroit might be handled in a similar way? Perhaps this could be a start to finding some of them homes??
    Kudos to you for bringing the problem to light in such a positive way:flowerforyou:

not just the U.S. *S*
    we had dogs arrive here in Edmonton, Alberta from the katrina situation as well. Where there's a will there's a way *S*
  • wanderinglight
    Options

I totally agree! (That I looked great) Just kidding, I mean I agree that one of my main goals is to bring on a nationwide organization like Best Friends (they took care of relocating and placing the Katrina dogs) to help with the huge numbers. What's frustrating is that I actually had Petfinder AND Best Friends on board when the series was about to start shooting (Discovery Channel owns Petfinder) but since the city shut down the show I haven't been able to get a call back. I finally sent a *slightly* angry email saying that just because the show went away, the problem didn't, and they should stand by their offer of help even though they won't be getting a sponsorship deal.

It might have worked -- I have a call with a Best Friends Director tomorrow!

Honestly, the reaction to the video and the outpouring of response from "regular folks" has restored my faith in humanity. I would have never thought that something that was such a cry for help would have reaching so many people, and they they would have responded with support! It's pretty cool.

Thanks for passing it along!!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I think it's so amazing that you kept this going even when they shot down the show....truly another accomplishment that makes you an inspirational woman!!!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I think it's so amazing that you kept this going even when they shot down the show....truly another accomplishment that makes you an inspirational woman!!!

Thank you! I know this really has nothing to do with myfitnesspal but this community is so supportive and I think that people can accomplish so much in life if they know that others are pulling for them to succeed. I truly think success in one area (getting healthy) can breed success in another!
  • wanderinglight
    Options

Thank you! I know this really doesn't have much to do with MFP but this community is so supportive and I really feel like one person can accomplish so much if they know that others are pulling for them. And I'm hoping that success in one area (losing weight, getting healthy) can help bring about success in another!
  • goodforallcoffee
    Options
    Just watched your videos. It’s amazing how things go on that we don’t have a clue about. I have posted it on my FB page. Thanks for the info.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have sent this on to several on my facebook who are animal lovers (and they are sending it on as well). I too, had no idea about this. I appreciate you putting this out there!
  • asj0901
    asj0901 Posts: 141
    Options
    Great Job!!!! You are a hero to those little ones!
  • Xanadar
    Options
    Good to see that there are people who care. An inspiration. I wish you the best.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!! I wanted you guys to meet Noodles. I just pulled him off the street two days ago. He is the most wonderful, amazing dog and he is the first of many that will be coming home to California with me!!!!

173032_1897648323916_1322857972_32253071_3432808_o.jpg
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!! I wanted you guys to meet Noodles. I just pulled him off the street two days ago. He is the most wonderful, amazing dog and he is the first of many that will be coming home to California with me!!!!

173032_1897648323916_1322857972_32253071_3432808_o.jpg

Look at the big sweetie.....

Awesome job my friend....it just shows tha there are still good people around
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I was on MSNBC this morning!!!!

Here's the link if anyone wants to watch.

And it's on the front page of The Today Show website as well!!!!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/41853098#41853098