Do I eat the calories that I have burned?

Options
My phone app shows calories remaining and it adds back the calories i have burned as "remaining" To lose weight, should I stay with my original 1200 calories a day or eat what is "remaining" on my app?

Really not sure and help is much appreciated :)

Replies

• dian1227
    dian1227 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Greetings!!

I've heard two schools of thought on this. 1. Yes, you have the availability of eating those extra calories because you have technically already burned them off. OR 2. No, stay on course for more efficient weight loss.

I come somewhere in the middle. I don't want to use my "burned calories" as a reason to eat more than what I have conditioned my self to eat now @ 1500 calories. My body is just now learning how to deal with the change after a month, and I feel like giving myself another 500 calories a day on days I've exercised maybe confuses it? I'm not a nutritionist, but it sound logical to me. However, if you decide on a low cal snack or if you are going to dinner and maybe hard to stick to the original 1300, there is your saftey net.

Hope I helped and didn't confuse more...lol

Blessings,

Diane
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    As long as you NET more than 1200 calories, thats what you should shoot for. If your goal is 1200, then yes eat your burned calories. But if you set your cals higher (like mine is), then just try to keep over 1200 cals as to not send your body into starvation mode.
    BUT, don't eat if you aren't hungry.

Thats just my personal opinion based on my experience.

When I eat less than 1200 cals I sometimes gain weight. If I eat closer to my goal cals - 1650 - then I lose.
  • missduffbug
    Options
    I asked pretty much the same thing this morning as I wasnt sure - have a look at my profile and see the thread I did as so many people replied and it was really helpful. Think I named it Calories 'earned' through exercise xx
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Both my wife and i eat back all exercise calories and we both lose weight weekly. I eat to lose or gain weight. For me the exercise is only to build muscle and/or the heart, so i must keep my body replenished after each work-out.

Good luck to you.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you!! It really does help to know how others are handling it. I will take your advice and stick with 1200. the "remaining" calories on my phone app are in big bold print at the top of the screen, so it will be tricky remembering what I "really" have left in order to stick close to 1200.

You rock!
  • lauramorris85
    Options
    I do. The more you burn, the more you can eat!
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally eat the calories I burn. I treat myself to something sinful and since I go to bed shortly after exercising, I don't have time to eat them. I usually eat around 1350 a day and am allowed 1370. Yesterday I burned 1001 cals on the elliptical and wound up with over 100 cals left that I could eat. I had a cup of ice cream and went to bed. Down 1.5 lbs from yesterday!!
  • ltowne
    ltowne Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Tough question. My trainer says NO to adding back in the calories, but I have heard others say that if you don't , your body goes into starvation mode. I would like to know the answer to this question too! My calories are all over the place and when I exercise, I feel like I can eat a little more. Maybe that is why I have been stuck on an 11 pound weight loss for the past three weeks! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    If your original goal is 1200 then yes, you should absolutely eat back the calories you burned.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat them. MFP has a built in cal deficit, based on your chosen loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. If you do not replace those cals burned in exercise, you create a larger deficit, which may be unhealthy and unsustainable. MFP adds cals for exercise to maintain the deficit you chose.

Here are some great threads that explain in more detail how MFP works, metabolism, and why it's important to fuel the body properly to get the best out of it. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat
  • PhoenixFire975
    Options
    Okay. Well, first off, 1200 is not enough cals for you, especially if you exercise. It is only a minimum requirement and you should try finding a calc to decide your daily cal goal based on various factors (try Google-ing "daily calorie intake calculator"). Also, to stick to your cal goal, you really should eat back enough of your exercise cals to where your net cals (cals eaten-cals burned) equals your daily goal.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat them. MFP has a built in cal deficit, based on your chosen loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. If you do not replace those cals burned in exercise, you create a larger deficit, which may be unhealthy and unsustainable. MFP adds cals for exercise to maintain the deficit you chose.

Here are some great threads that explain in more detail how MFP works, metabolism, and why it's important to fuel the body properly to get the best out of it. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/173853-an-objective-look-at-eating-exercise-calories

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat

Thank you!!!!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    YES!! I was told not to...so I didn't. I was eating 1200 calories a day and burning between 400-600. That put my at a net intake of only 600-800 calories a day. I ate this way for two weeks and didn't lose any weight. I went to the doctor feeling terrible...chills, dizzy, muscle cramps, heart palpitations...what was wrong??? I was starving myself! My sodium and potassium were dangerously low. Your body needs those extra calories to function. We lose things like sodium through sweating and potassium through using our muscles. Many people on here will argue not to eat your exercise calories. Let me tell you from personal experience. When you put your body in starvation mode you probably won't lose weight and you can end up really sick. You may not feel bad at first, but it will eventually catch up with you. I don't necessarily eat all the calories back, but I do make sure I always have a net of at least 1500 calories a day. My weight loss has sped back up too. Listen to your body.
  • aset132
    Options
    I have read a lot of these post with many people saying "don't eat back the calories" That can be so unhealthy and a bit scary. Work out to change your body shape and help your body to burn efficiently (fat vs muscle). If you don't eat back those calories you can go into starvation mode and your body will hold onto the fat. Your body needs that energy to be healthy. You'll find yourself tired, having headaches, and feeling awful if you don't. I eat back my calories and still lose 1.5 to 3lbs a week. On top of that I have energy and feel amazing! Good luck!!!!
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Tough question. My trainer says NO to adding back in the calories, but I have heard others say that if you don't , your body goes into starvation mode. I would like to know the answer to this question too! My calories are all over the place and when I exercise, I feel like I can eat a little more. Maybe that is why I have been stuck on an 11 pound weight loss for the past three weeks! Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend!

You have a trainer and they tell you you shouldn't eat your exercise calories? I would be looking for a new trainer. MFP is a great tool. When you signed up, you plugged in all the information it asked for, right? starting weight, goal weight, how many pounds you'd like to lose a week, activity level? Trust the technology behind the site and just follow what it says to do. If it says your basic calorie needs for the day are 1200, start there. Fill in your exercise diary with what you've done or plan to do for the day. That will increase your calorie goal for the day. Follow along and eat what MFP says you should eat.

Yes, eat your exercise calories! And remember to drink lots of water. You will lose weight.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Tough question. My trainer says NO to adding back in the calories, but I have heard others say that if you don't , your body goes into starvation mode.

Listening to my trainer almost put me in the hospital. I have posted several times in a few different forums about what happened. I just trusted she knew what she was talking about. I never dreamed her advice was going to hurt me. If you aren't sure, ask your doctor. My doc told me I have to eat a net of between 1200 and 1500 calories a day or I will go in starvation mode and not lose. Many trainers don't have any kind of degree. Just be careful who you take advice from. I listened to my body and I am so glad I went to the doctor when I started getting sick.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

You have a trainer and they tell you you shouldn't eat your exercise calories? I would be looking for a new trainer. MFP is a great tool. When you signed up, you plugged in all the information it asked for, right? starting weight, goal weight, how many pounds you'd like to lose a week, activity level? Trust the technology behind the site and just follow what it says to do. If it says your basic calorie needs for the day are 1200, start there. Fill in your exercise diary with what you've done or plan to do for the day. That will increase your calorie goal for the day. Follow along and eat what MFP says you should eat.

Yes, eat your exercise calories! And remember to drink lots of water. You will lose weight.

Most of the time, when someone says a trainer told them not to eat them, the trainer doesn't have all the info. It's often not the trainer's fault. Most calorie counters (and trainers) work off a premise of "my goal is to exercise 3 times a week" and so they just make a deficit with that goal in mind, keeping your daily cal goal static. They average the intended exercise burns throughout the week and make the deficit come from that, and do NOT include a built in deficit aside from exercise.

Because MFP works differently, creating a built in deficit with or without exercise, many trainers are not aware that there is already a deficit and that not replacing exercise cals makes the deficit larger. MFP built the site to log exercise each day, to help keep you more accountable and motivated, and to keep your exercise burns more accurate each day (rather than using an average burn.) If it is explained to them properly, most trainers will agree that because there is a built in deficit, it is not a good idea to make that deficit larger.
  • acv2
    acv2 Posts: 1
    Options
    I see it the other way. Thecalories I have burned keeps me from going over my daily amount. If you eat the calories that you have burned, your mind is still thinking about eating. Do you want to eat because you are hungry or just because you want to have pleasure by eating?
  • MaggieGiamalvo
    MaggieGiamalvo Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Okay. Well, first off, 1200 is not enough cals for you, especially if you exercise. It is only a minimum requirement and you should try finding a calc to decide your daily cal goal based on various factors (try Google-ing "daily calorie intake calculator"). Also, to stick to your cal goal, you really should eat back enough of your exercise cals to where your net cals (cals eaten-cals burned) equals your daily goal.

You don't need to Google anything. MFP has all the tools you need. When each of us created an account, we told MFP what our starting weight is, what our goal weight is, our activity level, how many pounds we'd like to lose in a week, etc. MFP already did the calculations to determin what our daily calorie intake should be. 1200 calories is the lowest daily calorie intake that MFP recommends. That's my recommendation from MFP. It is enough calories to be able to exist and get proper nutrition. If you're unsure about your needs, go to "Home" > "Goals" and you'll see all your information.

In order to recalculate your daily needs based on any additional exercise you may do (above normal daily activity), add what exercises you've done (or plan to do) into your exercise diary. MFP will automatically recalculate that day's needs.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    YES!! I was told not to...so I didn't. I was eating 1200 calories a day and burning between 400-600. That put my at a net intake of only 600-800 calories a day. I ate this way for two weeks and didn't lose any weight. I went to the doctor feeling terrible...chills, dizzy, muscle cramps, heart palpitations...what was wrong??? I was starving myself! My sodium and potassium were dangerously low. Your body needs those extra calories to function. We lose things like sodium through sweating and potassium through using our muscles. Many people on here will argue not to eat your exercise calories. Let me tell you from personal experience. When you put your body in starvation mode you probably won't lose weight and you can end up really sick. You may not feel bad at first, but it will eventually catch up with you. I don't necessarily eat all the calories back, but I do make sure I always have a net of at least 1500 calories a day. My weight loss has sped back up too. Listen to your body.

Sorry to hear you had to experience it. Glad you figured it out and doing it right now.