Thunder thighs

Options
:embarassed: I know I can't target certain areas during my weight loss journey but I am starting to get a little concerned about my thunder thighs!!! I know my arms aren't the most attractive thing in the world either :ohwell: but spring/summer isn't too far away and I would like to be able to have thinner thighs so I look a little better in a swimsuit and shorts. I took my measurements yesterday and that is the place where I have lost the least from :explode: . I have started to do stairs but other than stairs is there any other exercise I can try to help tone those things! Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Replies

• LMac423
    Options
    Some yoga poses are great for thigh toning, as is running or walking uphill. Plyometrics, lifting legs...there are lots of options! If you need more specifics let me know I'd be glad to help! =)
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Are you weight training? If not, you should. Squats, lunges and dead lifts made a big difference in my legs and butt.
  • pen282
    pen282 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    HI Kaymd

The term thumder thighs makes me chuckle, but Im in the same boat - so feel your pain!
    How long have you been on here for outta interest?

My thighs are by now means perfect - but they have certianly improved..

Exercise wise, I do a mixture of walking, the cross trainer, bike and the wave machine (skating motion).. I also use the adbuctor sel (guess names are different for diff gyms..) weights for inner and outter thighs, the leg press (like squats, but sitting on a chair which slides) and.. that's it actually!

I think exercise in general will help imprvove them, as you say, we cant target certain areas... I have noticed, thanks to weights, my legs now look and feel tighter - which I must say is a good feeling.. even if they do still look chunky!

Keep up the good work!
  • oxnina
    oxnina Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    do squat presses
    take dumb bells at your shoulders, squat and when you stand up on your tippy toes after the squat , push the dumbells up above your shoulders.
    its an awesome exercise that will help your quads/legs, calves, and biceps/arms
    good luck!
  • oRoseo
    Options
    Weight training won't burn fat, it will only tone the muscles. So it actually will make your thighs look bigger if you don't burn the excess thigh fat. Same goes for everything else. :]
  • LMac423
    Options
    Weight training does not make thighs look bigger at all, it's a myth that women "bulk up" when they lift and what not. I've been lifting pretty heavily for about 6 years now and I'm a small person. I also do a lot of leg lifting and my thighs are muscular and small at the same time...it is possible.
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    you will only bulk up if you do a small number of reps with a HUGE amount of weight. if you're doing 20-25 reps with a small amount of weight (but still enough to feel a burn) you won't get bulky. i don't know if you want to focus on inner thighs specifically (that's where all my excess weight goes!) or just your thighs in general but i've found some great inner thigh exercises are:

plies - with a 10 pound weight if you can. just stand with your legs far apart and your toes pointed out then either pulse or squat all the way about 30 times
    lunges - BUT you need to have your front foot elevated about 6 inches off the ground, like on the treadmill or something, that will target the top part of your legs more than a regular lunge done on the ground will
    fire hydrants - this is where you get down on all fours and lift one leg up and out to the side, with your knee bent, you can imagine what this looks like hence the name :P
    leg raises, either standing straight up or laying down on your back. side leg raises are good too

for me, just doing regular squats and lunges and things like that toned out my quads but did nothing for my inner thighs. so the above exercises have been finally targeting that area, hope you can find the right exercises that work for you! good luck :)
  • chubmuffim
    Options
    I have big ol thighs too. I like to do wall sits, squat with you back against the wall and hold as long as possible (check your form tho!) and for the inner thighs lay on you back and squeeze a yoga ball between your calves, amazing move!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    bumping to add some of these. Thunder thighs was my nickname in high school!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I enjoy bicycling. It seems to give my legs a nice lean look. And it's just fun.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    My thunder thighs and tummy are the last thing to go, but not that I've lost from every where else they are starting to improve too. Stick with and you'll see the results you want in the end. I think doing the 30 day shred dvd has helped too, it has lots of squat etc in it!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    HI Kaymd

The term thumder thighs makes me chuckle, but Im in the same boat - so feel your pain!
    How long have you been on here for outta interest?
    I have been here since September 21st :happy:
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    A few years back when I lost 53 pounds Igot ahoold of some Joyce Vedral strength training videos and worked my upper body, lower body and abs. I onlly used 3,5, and 8ound dumbbells and I lost several inches off of each thigh. I was always pear shaped and I lost the pear shape by doing them. My muscles reallly toned up and my inner thighs didn't rub anymore. I am 5'6" and was only down to 53-160 ounds when I lost the pear shape. I had never exercised before and used to wear a size 12 at that weight. I was ecstatic because ANY size 8 pants fit! I used to try on every single pair of 12's just to find one decent pair of jeans, so YES strength training with light weights does work without making your thighs/butt bigger! I am just starting up exercising with those videos again regularly now and looking forward to losing the pear again!
  • Rnjennmcc
    Options
    you will only bulk up if you do a small number of reps with a HUGE amount of weight. if you're doing 20-25 reps with a small amount of weight (but still enough to feel a burn) you won't get bulky. i don't know if you want to focus on inner thighs specifically (that's where all my excess weight goes!) or just your thighs in general but i've found some great inner thigh exercises are:

plies - with a 10 pound weight if you can. just stand with your legs far apart and your toes pointed out then either pulse or squat all the way about 30 times
    lunges - BUT you need to have your front foot elevated about 6 inches off the ground, like on the treadmill or something, that will target the top part of your legs more than a regular lunge done on the ground will
    fire hydrants - this is where you get down on all fours and lift one leg up and out to the side, with your knee bent, you can imagine what this looks like hence the name :P
    leg raises, either standing straight up or laying down on your back. side leg raises are good too

for me, just doing regular squats and lunges and things like that toned out my quads but did nothing for my inner thighs. so the above exercises have been finally targeting that area, hope you can find the right exercises that work for you! good luck :)

Thanks for those ideas.....I wonder if my dogs will think I am imitating them when I try the Fire hydrant lol
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Bump! Here is some ideas from a news story that was here in MN to help target some of the saddlebag area...http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/02/22/exercises-to-say-goodbye-to-saddlebags/
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Keep them coming :smile:
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    I have the same problem and am looking forward to trying some of the suggestions here.