If i add something to water does it still count?

Options
The goal is to drink more water. But how much water should you drink and if you add something to it like lemon juice, a tea bag, or powdered mix like crystal light or benefiber does this still count as "water"? Lastly, what tricks have worked for you to get you drinking more water.

Replies

• ricnrac
    ricnrac Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I still count it as water. I use the walmart brand packets, 1 per day split between two bottles. I try to give myself goals for the water I drink. I try to drink a bottle with breakfast, one between lunch and breakfast, one at lunch, one between lunch and dinner, one at dinner, etc. That way I have a time goal.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I count it as water intake when the base is water. I always add the Crystal Light to go packets to my water and count the calories. I use a whole packet to 5 cups of water though so I only use usually 2 packs a day = 20 cals.. Same when I have hot tea.
  • aset132
    Options
    It still counts :)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Yes it still counts! Drink up!
    I use Crystal Light sometimes. Not too often because of the artificial sweeteners.
    Lemon, mint, tea, or lime helps me :)
    Also, I bought a 750 ML water bottle and just keep filling it throughout the day. That helps me. Easier than plastic water bottles and better for environment :)
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    They definitely count! I could never live without my 5 calorie juice crystals. Without them, there is no way I would ever consume 8 glasses a day...too blah for me lol....
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I read in a magazine somewhere that if you put crystal light in your water you can count half of those ounces towards your water. So if you have 16 oz. of water and add crystal light, you can count 8oz. in your water for the day. I can't remember where I read that and I can't speak to it's validity but there you have it. Personally, I only drink water and lightly or unsweetened tea, sometimes coffee. I think it grows on you-I used to do the crystal light thing but the color dies your tongue and I can't stand the artificial taste anymore. Make sure that for at least every oz. of crystal light water you drink, you have two oz. of pure water and then work down from there so that most of the water you're drinking is pure.
  • darling_nickie
    darling_nickie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes it still counts! Drink up!
    I use Crystal Light sometimes. Not too often because of the artificial sweeteners.
    Lemon, mint, tea, or lime helps me :)
    Also, I bought a 750 ML water bottle and just keep filling it throughout the day. That helps me. Easier than plastic water bottles and better for environment :)

ditto
  • losing4myself
    Options
    Yes, it all still counts as water!! My favorite is the K20 water mixes for the protein and fiber...and I found one packet tastes great with 32oz vs the 16oz. Just be sure you count the calories on the things you are adding to your water! I think the k20 packets are about 30-35 cals but havn't had them for a LOOONG time because they are more spendy that regular water flavors. Regular water flavors are usually about 10cals per a full packet too.
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    And ditto to the plastic water bottle. I have a 32oz. nalgene that I take everywhere I go. My friends think I'm crazy but my mother's done that since I was a kid so it's just a family tradition lol. It may be weird to accomodate sometimes when you're on the move but you get used to it.
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I count it too. But be aware how much tea you drink. The caffeine is dehydrating.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It still counts:) I've become fond of the SOBE Life Water, they are very good with lots of different flavors. Also this might sound strange but I bought a water bottle that has a straw and found it much easier to drink my water this way. Don't know why but before I struggled to get in even 6 glasses a day and now I will drink at least 9 nearly everyday:)
  • missyshaun
    missyshaun Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just as long as you dont add anything with sugar in it, you should be okay. Try Stevia. It is all natural and adds flavors to your water, I will be the first to tell you that I absolutely hate drinking water but all of my exercise and dieting mean nothing without it. I also put myself on a water plan. I get the bottled spring water (16.9 oz) and drink one bottle each hour or within the hour. For example I start at 10:00 am and make certain that I have completed the bottle before 11:00 am. Of course by then I am full so I cant turn around and drink another bottle at 11:00, but I make certain before 12:00 comes, that I have drank another bottle. That way it only takes me 4 hours to get all of my water in, and I get it out of the way. Once I get used to it where I dont have to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes I increase my intake to 5 bottles, etc. Try it and see how it works. Everyone works different you just have to try some things. Good luck!
  • mallorybriann
    Options
    I get laughed at too! I accidentally took into a restaurant once because it's such a habit lol.
    I have the stainless steel kind and it's always at my side :)
    And ditto to the plastic water bottle. I have a 32oz. nalgene that I take everywhere I go. My friends think I'm crazy but my mother's done that since I was a kid so it's just a family tradition lol. It may be weird to accomodate sometimes when you're on the move but you get used to it.
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    It counts for me! When I belonged to WW I believe they said half of your water intake could be from crystal lites or sodas. Your body get used to water, the more you drink the more your body wants! Enjoy and good luck.
  • mallorybriann
    Options
    I don't see how adding something to flavor your water magically makes it NOT water.
    It's still water, just tastes better. The fake sweeteners can make a small difference, but adding lemon or something like that doesn't.
    Your body still does the same with it no matter if it's water with CL, water in food, soup, etc.
    And exactly WATER is WATER.
    I disagree - going to be unpopular. If you add lemon - it still counts - adding crystal light does not count in my book. However, I like the idea of allowing for 1/2 of the water intake - this MIGHT be plausible.

Tea definitely does NOT count as drinking water. It is a diuretic - meaning it makes your body expel more water - therefore, not the same as drinking water.

Sorry - water is water. Period.
  • gypsyrosedog
    Options
    The timed goal is great...I have struggled since 2005 with getting in my water in daily. I now drink a 750 mL (24 oz.) refillable bottle at breakfast, mind-morning, lunch and mid-afternoon which is 12 cups. This is my daily minimum starting this year. Then with Supper and into the evening I drink a 1 liter refillable bottle (32 oz.) with one crystal light or other low calorie drink mix packet in it (suppozed to go in 500 mLé16 oz.). I find it tasty enough and it motivates me to get through my plain water to get to the flavored stuff. I find often I have to fill my 750 mL bottle again in the evning becuase I dry.
  • Cosmomouse
    Cosmomouse Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    But how can adding a bit of flavouring to the water make it 'not count'? You are still drinking a glass of water!

If I drank a glass of water and then ate a piece of fruit, the water would count. So why is it different when that 'fruit' is in the glass in liquid form?

I hope that makes sense :D
  • JulieTX86
    Options
    I use a "smart water" bottle and refill it over and over again. I like it because they are 1 Liter bottles. So I know each one I drink is about the equivalent of 4 cups of water. I keep it with me everywhere I go... work, school, in the car etc.

I only like drinking "room temperature" water or the "cold" temperature that comes from the tap. I hate ice water. It makes it much more difficult for me to drink it.

I also only drink water (and protein shakes) so it's very easy for me to get my water in... because if I don't drink water, then I don't drink anything (which ends up being very hard to do each day). Oh and I have a glass of wine occasionally, but I don't drink pop, tea, etc.

I usually drink it plain but sometimes I will add a little bit of lemon in too.
  • superninjatam
    superninjatam Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Why worry - drink when you're thirsty that's all! You don't need to keep track of water! Let's put the ridiculous myth that you have to drink 8 cups to rest already

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2010/12/08/the-myth-behind-drinking-8-glasses-of-water-a-day/