Truck Driving and Food

Options
My husband is an Over-The-Road Truck Driver and I sometimes go along. Although, I haven't been with since snow's been on the ground. Winter makes me nervous riding in a semi - sitting in the passenger seat "spread eagle." I'm fine in the pickup or car, but he drives that thing like it's a sports car! :smile:

ANYWAY- On to my question... Our options are: going out to eat or preparing something simple and easy (there's a *small* fridge and microwave in there, along with space to store dry foods). I have, in the past made chicken breast and some other foods in advance at home to take with us (I'm not a huge fan of leftovers)- but that doesn't go very far when I go with 2-3 weeks at a time. And he is, for the most part, constantly driving. I've had to make sandwiches in the back while he drives down the road many times. When I'm not with he eats junk- and I can't have that!

I'm trying to get some new ideas rolling and thought you guys could help!
What are some healthy options for 'quick and easy meals' utilizing what we have (fridge *no freezer* and a microwave)?

Replies

• campitor
    Options
    Quaker instant oatmeal and a fruit is a great breakfast start, He can heat the water needed in the microwave. I like the healthy harvest soups . I find they're 250 cal for the can on sale at wal-mart. Peanut butter and a slice of bread for a snack. Have some nuts. I send out dinners in containers for my uncle completely frozen. He pops them in the fridge and they will last 4-5 days. Bananas. Obviously water water water. Even dried jerky for snacks.
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I saw someone describe how to cook eggs in a coffee mug in a microwave, around here somewhere. You could buy a carton of Egg Beaters or similar that would fit in the small fridge and make up egg dishes in the microwave.

That's definitely a tough one though!
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas so far! Thanks Campitor and Jen. Sometimes it's just good to get people's input and have a variety of things to try out.
    I love egg beaters and eat them already at home, but have not tried out the coffee cup method. I'll have to give that a go before I go with again!
  • ellennow
    ellennow Posts: 568
    Options
    I'm thinking since you can use a microwave and frig... is there anyway to incorporate a crook pot? This could open the door to may different food choices.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    I'm thinking since you can use a microwave and frig... is there anyway to incorporate a crook pot? This could open the door to may different food choices.

If I'm not mistaken......I think I've seen a. 12 volt crock pot that plugs into a cigarette lighter in the truck. Saw it at a Truck Stop ...most likely a Flying J truck stop. You don't say where your husband dives....this place I saw the crock pot was in Calif. But I think Flying J is nationwide. They usually have all kind of gadgets & things for truckers and/or RVers.

As far as food ideas....Progresso light, low sodium soups are really great. Even some of the lean cuisine or Healthy Choice Entrees are ok as long as you don't have sodium issues and if you have enough fridge space.

Good luck on this one. My husband and I tavel one week out of the month, so I know it's difficult.
  • cassieinor
    Options

If I'm not mistaken......I think I've seen a. 12 volt crock pot that plugs into a cigarette lighter in the truck. Saw it at a Truck Stop ...most likely a Flying J truck stop. You don't say where your husband dives....this place I saw the crock pot was in Calif. But I think Flying J is nationwide. They usually have all kind of gadgets & things for truckers and/or RVers.

As far as food ideas....Progresso light, low sodium soups are really great. Even some of the lean cuisine or Healthy Choice Entrees are ok as long as you don't have sodium issues and if you have enough fridge space.

Good luck on this one. My husband and I tavel one week out of the month, so I know it's difficult.
  • Iampierre
    Options
    I to am a truck driver it is almost impossible to eat healthy on the road. I learned to stop at walmart's (if you buy the rand mcnally map book at walmart it lists every walmart in the country and most walmarts that are close to freeways have truck parking) And I started shopping as if at home. Bought one of those ovens at a truck stop would throw the meat veggies, potatoes in pot when get up. when stopped it was usually ready to go, bought the washed ready to eat bagged salad. I learned a really neat trick if was really wanting pasta, carried a large tupperware type bowl with lid on truck would go inside truck stop with large thermos and get hot water put serving of pasta in bowl fill with hot water till pasta is covered close up lid let sit for 10 minutes or until done the way i liked drained out water add watever liked on top usually jarred pasta sauce that i nooked in micro while in truck stop. After time i got a 1500 watt put into truck and bought a single electic burner and could cook regular like at home when stopped. I kept a tv tray to set it up on.:smile:
  • myangel4
    Options
    Salads are always wonderful, healthy and easy! You can satisfy all of your nutritional needs healthfully in one bowl! You can get bags of lettuce, carrots, celery, cauliflower, peppers, avocados, and anything else you can imagine. You can also buy cans of beans; garbanza, kidney, white beans to add to the salad. Canned corn, beets, etc. Nuts and seeds. Also presliced and cooked chicken or some light cold cuts to add to the mix. Add it all together in a huge bowl and you have a COMPLETE meal!

Another idea is to make a huge pot of bean soup, which is so healthy. You can make white bean, lentil, pea, etc. Bring it with you and refrigerate it on the trip. The soup should last a few days and it is another wonderful and healthy meal.

Last a blender ALWAYS does wonders. Throw ingrediants in to make smoothies; always so filling and healthy! Good Luck!
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Burritos are fast in the microwave... spread cold tortilla with cold canned refried beans, add some cheese, plus if you like a little salsa or cooked meat (you could even use canned chicken)... cook flat in microwave for about 1-1/2 minutes or till cheese melts and beans are hot, roll up and eat.
  • better_days_ahead
    better_days_ahead Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oh fantastic!!!! Thank you for all the ideas.

Around a year and a half ago, my husband and I lived out on the road for 6 months in the Semi. Annnnnnnnd I gained 30 pounds eating fast food, things in the truck stop, and just overall not-so-good stuff. Makes me nervous to go back out there with him after losing some weight and not being able to get out and exercise very often.

I appreciate all the ideas! :flowerforyou: