self defense/personal protection while you run

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I carry a loaded .38 with the safety off. And yes, I do have a carry & conceal permit.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    My biggest worry when running with my dog is that one of the stray (and aggressive) dogs in the area are going to run into us at the wrong time. : (

I'm not so much worried about that, as i'm pretty sure Grins would finish it. . .but I worry about deer, which I got to witness jump a 6 ft fence on the way home tonite from our jog/powerwalk.

We usually have to worry about off leash psychotic chihuahuas and their stupid owners
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing woman can do to protect themselves is take the headphones out of their ears when running alone so they can actually hear if someone is behind them.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    When I run, I have my pepper spray, and cell phone on me at all times. And take one of my dogs (lab and german short hair)

I also try switching up my route everytime I run... when NOT at the gym. Another thing I do since I live with 2 other people, just in case something happens, I always let them know where I am running, and check in once during the run o let them know where I am at.

I know that there are things like that which can help.

I live in Central CA, and recently a 4 yr old boy was kidnapped and murdered by his estranged father, and a few years ago a 12 yr old girl was murdered by a neighbor. So I know how dangerous it can be. It also doesn't help that my father worked in the area where Polly Klaas was found when she was abducted.

Needless to say after hearing all he horror stories out there and watching shows like CSI and L&O I definitely take my safety seriously.
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    For anyone with a permit to carry, these are great holsters for running: http://pistolwear.com/
  • misssuperstitious
    Options
    For anyone with a permit to carry, these are great holsters for running: http://pistolwear.com/
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info!
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I run with my guns, my left and right arms! >.>

On a serious note you can buy small canisters of mace that go on a key chain for cheap! Also there are small electronic devices that emit a LOUD HIGH PITCH sound when disconnected to alert people. (Modern day rape whistle...) Irregardless where you run it would always be best to have something with you just in case.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I installed the Runkeeper app on my phone yesterday and used it while I walked last night. It tracks my route via GPS and displays it on a map online. My son was able to see where I was on the online map while I was out walking. It's not much in the way of protection, but at least it's a little safer that what I've been doing.

I've also been changing up my route lately so that I'm not going the same route at the same time every night. But even though I know I should, I can't get rid of the headphones. When I walk I could go without them, but I need music or an audio book or something to keep me going when I run.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Cell phone, Life360, P32, and attitude.
  • miovlb6
    Options

Attitude...that's what I'm missing. Where can I get one of those? :wink:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Victom: averted eyes, slouched posture, hesitant movements.
    Not-victom: eye contact, upright posture, no hesitant movements, and most importantly say hi to creeps so they know you see them and don't stop to chat.
  • miovlb6
    Options

Victom: averted eyes, slouched posture, hesitant movements.
    Not-victom: eye contact, upright posture, no hesitant movements, and most importantly say hi to creeps so they know you see them and don't stop to chat.

:smile: Thanks!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    My wife has her CWP and has been known to run with her gun. Me, I run with her for protection. :wink: And if she don't want to go then I run with our staffie.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any real good reviews on the gun holsters from pistolwear.com? How they feel, do they ride up, itch, etc? Or have recommendations for other brands?

Have a CCW permit and would carry a compact firearm like my Ruger LCP or small j-frame S&W 642 revolver if I could find a decent more comfortable holster for them. I live in the country in Missouri and everybody owns dogs and sometimes you see packs of them around. Plus there are some shady areas within a few miles that I would run by, backwoods individuals who have had trouble with the law from physical assualt to producing meth and so on. Typically now I run at a park in town after work but would love to be able to run along the beautiful, peaceful countryside closer to home, especially as my distance endurance continues to pick up. Carrying would allow me to feel much safer from whatever might creep out of the woods.
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I would try going to the NRA store website, they have better choices for CCW permit holders.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any real good reviews on the gun holsters from pistolwear.com? How they feel, do they ride up, itch, etc? Or have recommendations for other brands?

I typically use a bellyband and find it comfortable and easy to use. There are also concealment t-shirts/tank tops available that have good reviews. Another option would be the highly fashionable hip sack/fanny pack. That one tends to bounce around though and isn't my favorite choice. www.magills.com is a good place to look at concealment shirts or belly bands. They've even got compression shorts with holsters in them so I'm sure you can find something that will be comfortable and easily accessible.

Like another poster said, the biggest self defense weapon we have is our brain. If you're not aware of your surroundings, mace, guns, tazers, etc won't do you much good. But if you're aware and know how to properly use what you have you have a good chance of staying safe.
  • melindalamb
    Options
    I take Kickboxing, so that is my self defense.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    just out of curiousity, what are the statistical likelihoods of actually being attacked whilst out running? Is it any more likely than say walking normally down the street? What personal safety tricks do you use then?

It just reads like everyone is going around with loaded weapons. personally I would favour the being aware of your surroundings thing above any form of weapon
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I think women esp could benefit from hearing what others use/do. I'm a worrier/over-packer, so I'm always prepared. What do you do??? :glasses:

Learn Krav Maga. Any weapon can be taken from you and used against you unless you ARE the weapon.