Protein Shakes- What's the deal?

Options
What's the deal with protein shakes and should I be drinking them?

I have discovered the gym at my apartment and have been working out a lot more and burning a lot (600-700) of calories. I am super-motivated to continue my current course, but when I have a good workout I am STARVING when I come home. Today I ate leftover spaghetti noodles with a sliver of butter on them, but I was thinking there had to be something better.

There are a lot of people who make their own protein shakes, but is this something I should do or something I need? I was on WebMD earlier and they explained what they were and said it wouldn't build muscle and that some can be good to replace the bits that are worked out of your muscles during exercise. They even suggested using Slim Fast or something similar if you are looking to lose weight while consuming protein shakes. The site did not seem to have any thoughts whether or not I should be drinking them...

What are your thoughts, fellow MFP participants??

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Not important. Just fuel yourself with whole protein after a workout and you're good. Protein shakes are pretty gimmicky (and expensive). So, rather than putting butter on that spaghetti try halving the amount of pasta and adding some chicken or tuna on the side.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Within an hour after your workout, you should be consuming protein + carbs. A protein shake (that also contains carbs) is a convenient way to do this. But real food such as a glass of chocolate milk, yogurt, chicken and potato, etc will of course accomplish the same. A protein shake is basically a tool of convenience.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I buy the big tubs of protein powder, right now I have body fortress vanilla. I like them because I don't eat a lot of meat and have a really hard time getting enough protein in my diet. I also like to eat higher protein because it keeps me full longer, so making a protein shake makes it easier for me to do that. I mix mine with milk, but some people just use water to save calories.

I don't think they are necessity for anyone, but definitely a great way to add protein.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above post. You can make a shake that has protein in it. Milk and yogurt both have protein, so does peanut butter. Actually, if you eat prior to your workout - about an hour before, that would help keep you from being starved afterwards. Don't eat a lot, but a shake ot small snack would be good. I often eat a protein meal bar before I work out. But if you work out early in the AM, then by all means eat after.
  • nkster781
    nkster781 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I love making my own.

Today mine had:
    1/4 Stony Field Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
    Banana / raspberries, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries
    Splash of Almond Milk
    Flax USA (Pre-Ground Flax Seed)
    Jillian Michales Vanilla Protein Powder

It is so good and filling.
  • karrimor1980
    karrimor1980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unquestionably you have to take extra protein on board to keep muscle when your training otherwise you will burn fat and muscle with such a high calorific workout. The loss of muscle slows metabolism and you get weaker and less motivated etc... Protein shakes are a staple of my diet and I consume several a day and still fall way below maintanence calories. There easy and quick to assimilate after exercise and wont bloat you up like eating the food equivilant.

Have a look on bodybuilding websites about fat loss and body composition as its not all about the numbers you see on the scales and theres plenty of knowledgeable gym rats out there to help :-)

Stay motivated
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No no, don't do Slim Fast. It's not a whole lot of protein. I gave up on shakes awhile ago because I got sick of the taste and smell so now I eat Clif builder bars. They're 20g of protein each and come in MANY delicious flavors like chocolate mint, peanut butter, lemon, cookies n cream...

I eat mine after I work out. It helps to rebuild muscle fibers that tear when you work out. Once your muscles heal, they can grow as you keep working out. It's worked so far for me, I'm getting stronger. I can lift heavier weights than I could when I started.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    I personally don't do them. I get all my protein from foods although I have nothing against them. I guess they just seem more convienent.