Any interesting veggie ideas out there?

tluttrell
tluttrell Posts: 33 Member
edited September 24 in Food and Nutrition
This week I replaced the noodles in my lasagna with eggplant. I've also replaced the potatoes in a favorite soup recipe with cauliflower. Tonight I made spaghetti squash--with a little salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt, it tasted a lot like a crunchy, yummy baked potato. All were big hits with the family. Does anyone have any other creative ideas for adding veggies and cutting calories? I'm on a roll and need more ideas. Thanks!

Replies

• Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Well, you can also replace rice with cauliflower. Grate a typical head of cauliflower over the biggest holes on a standard box grater. Place in microwave safe bowl. Add salt, pepper and any other seasonings if you wish. Some like butter if you like the indulgence! Cover and microwave for 5 minutes. Remove cover, fluff and serve. Tastes awesome to me and mine! Good luck and I look forward to reading other posts in this strand!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    My wife made a shepherd's pie tonight it had, ground turkey, chicken stock, celery, mushrooms, onions, carrots, thyme, red pepper flake, garlic powder and instead of mashed potatoes, she put mashed broccoli on top, it was pretty good. It was around 250 calories and it was a pretty big serving.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    I love roasted veggies in the winter and on the barbecue in the summer! I just prep everything in cubes from carrots, onions, butternut squash, beets, eggplant, and halve brussels sprouts, and just about anything you can think of! Cut smaller for the oven and larger for the barbecue or slice them thickly for the bbq. I just toss them all with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and people are amazed at how dellicious they are! I am currently on a butternut squash kick! borccoli and cauliflowr florets are great, too!
  • tluttrell
    Thanks for the ideas. They all sound good. I'm definitely trying the cauliflower/rice trick. I bet it would be good with an Indian Tikka Masala sauce on it. Can you tell I"m hungry at the moment?
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    I'm thinking yes. And that sounds AWESOME! Do you have a caloricly friendly recipe?
  • tluttrell
    Congrats on your 100 lb goal! Sensational! And no, I do not have a low cal recipe for the tikka masala. However, the tikka masala is a very low cal Indian sauce with tomato as it's base (compared to most of the others that are heavy in butter). I usually use a supermarket sauce in a jar. I can't remember the name of my favorite right off hand, but you have to compare. Some are higher than others. The one I use is about 60 cals for 1/2 cup and not too high in sodium. Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.