Barefoot running

2»

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Does barefoot on the elliptical count? Since I've been doing that, I've alleviated the "toe numbness" problem and actually feel like I perform better without shoes.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I am still in the process of "barefoot conversion". I bought a pair of vibrams last summer. I cannot emphasize how much I love them. I cannot wait until the weather warms enough for me to get back out there in them.

I didn't do it becuase of injury or anything else other than running barefoot makes more sense to me, than running in over protective shoes. I'm still not sold that it is the right thing for everyone to do, or that it will be a "cure all" for everyone's injuries. But I do think that for the people that it is right for, it is REALLY right.

And as hinted at before, but cannot be stated enough, ease into that style slowly.
    Ease into this style slowly :)
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    I really want vibrams and have wanted them for a while. I prefer to run barefoot shoes seem to slow me down. It feels like shoes make my feet heavy no matter how many different pairs of lightweight shoes I own!
  • i am a SAHM and i very rarely wear shoes: just when out shoveling the snow (lol), mowing the lawn, hiking, shopping and things like that. I garden barefoot, do my around the house stuff barefoot and spend about 75-90% of my week shoe-less. I am a new runner (since October) but i was a walker before that and i've always worn well-fitting Saucony's when i've walked/ran. I am interested in getting Vibram 5 Fingers this spring because it fits in with my barefoot-thru-life philosophy :) But here is the interesting thing: i was looking at the tread wear on my older running shoes (the ones i've had the longest) and the wear pattern definitely shows the most wear at the balls of the feet, the outer edge (more so on my right foot) and towards toes rather than towards the heel. Do you think i am already running in more of a "barefoot fashion" as elluded to on my tread wear "evidence"? I run about 5 miles max at this point but am training to do a half marathon this year (hopefully in late April, but if not then, def. running one in late September).

Anyhoo, just curious to see what you think of me being a predominantly barefoot person, would i run 'barefoot' by nature of my normal habit anyways? Interesting!

(sorry this is disjointed, lol, getting attacked by 6 & 3 yr olds! LOL!)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    i am a SAHM and i very rarely wear shoes: just when out shoveling the snow (lol), mowing the lawn, hiking, shopping and things like that. I garden barefoot, do my around the house stuff barefoot and spend about 75-90% of my week shoe-less. I am a new runner (since October) but i was a walker before that and i've always worn well-fitting Saucony's when i've walked/ran. I am interested in getting Vibram 5 Fingers this spring because it fits in with my barefoot-thru-life philosophy :) But here is the interesting thing: i was looking at the tread wear on my older running shoes (the ones i've had the longest) and the wear pattern definitely shows the most wear at the balls of the feet, the outer edge (more so on my right foot) and towards toes rather than towards the heel. Do you think i am already running in more of a "barefoot fashion" as elluded to on my tread wear "evidence"? I run about 5 miles max at this point but am training to do a half marathon this year (hopefully in late April, but if not then, def. running one in late September).

Anyhoo, just curious to see what you think of me being a predominantly barefoot person, would i run 'barefoot' by nature of my normal habit anyways? Interesting!

(sorry this is disjointed, lol, getting attacked by 6 & 3 yr olds! LOL!)

It appears you are more ready than most, but it never hurts to still ease into it slowly & build up & see how you feel.
  • I've heard about this, the books, the indigenous populations that run like this still and the Vibrams etc.
    The word on the street I've heard from my brother who is a gym rat is that the Vibrams hurt a lot of his friends feet. Not that this is scientific in anyway mind you :). I just wanted to know.
    Right now I'm dealing with a torn ACL that happened in the midst of my glorious domination of the C25k second week on my treadmill. I love jogging and I'm so upset I might have to get surgery and definitely physical rehab. I've considered doing the barefoot thing on my treadmill..you all are going to LMAO at this, but my vanity prevents me from doing so. I like my pedicured feet lol! I do *not* want the callouses required to maintain my feet for running barefoot!
    I wish I could have it both ways however :\.
    I really want to try it out! But my OPI and I have been going out for a long time, I'm not ready to dump her :P
  • My husband and I both have vibrum's. My husband just bought his second pair he loves them so much. He is much more athletic than I, so the up time to being able to run in them long distance without injury was less for him. I, being more slight, had to work up from scratch. I made it a half mile in them the first time and realized my ankles needed a lot more work. I took a break from running this winter, but before I stopped I could go a full mile. My husband runs considerably farther, 5-7 miles, with no problems. As a matter of fact, my husband told me the other night he saw vibrum's for kids and wondered if we should get them for our two rugrats.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Bump
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    How do you barefoot converts feel about the Nike Free series? Do you think it makes sense to start with the 7.0, then go to the 5.0, and scale yourself down to a lower sole over time? Or, is it better to go cold-turkey, barefoot or Vibram and just tone it down and adapt?

--Carter
  • Pinkbella123
    Pinkbella123 Posts: 1 Member
    I was running from the beginning of my weight loss journey, not fun with the shin splints! However, for the past three weeks I have been jogging up to three days a week barefoot on the treadmill and have had no pain. I am all for the barefoot running!
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    I am considering getting this "shoe" because I have flat feet and shoes are uncomfortable mostly for me. I feel like I have less foot pain when I am barefoot. I saw them the other day in a sporting goods store and asked about them.. The biggest question I have is, finger-toe sock or not?
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    @twinwolf - From what I read at the Vibram w/s in the FAQs, it said it is not recommended for flat footed people and especially if you are an "over-pronator". If you do decide to get these shoes, tho then, Yes on the toe socks. Injinji is a name brand that are getting good reviews as they wick the moisture off your foot and are anti-friction.
  • love my Injinji Performance toe socks! Right now i am running with them in my normal (Saucony) sneaks because i was getting horrific blisters on my right pinky toe.... Injinjis have all but solved my blister problems! Worth every penny!
This discussion has been closed.