Alli anyone??

Options
I am considering trying Alli as I cannot seem to motivate myself to really commit to eating well. I am just being so lazy and not feeling like taking the time to prepare meals that are conducive to healthy eating. However, I feel as though giving myself this "tool" to aide in in weight-loss will force me to commit. My question: Has anyone used (or currently using) it? And if so, how difficult is it to live by the plan and how difficult are the "consequences" when you didn't? :sick:

Any and all comments welcome!!

Replies

• cerferchick
    Options
    If you take Alli and don't commit to a low-fat diet you'll get diarrea. :ohwell:
  • fink21061
    fink21061 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It did nothing for me. I heard horror storys of pooping yourself and getting anal leakege. Dont know if it will do that to you but I had the reverse. Constipated and I gained. I have a half bottle still sitting here. I am doing better with MFP. All it does is teach you to diet. You can do that yourself without the pooping problems.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    and what will motivate you when the ALLI bottle is empty?

exercise is a better option in my opinion

its hard but you can do it

Stu
  • marymms
    Options
    I'd suggest you figure out a way to motivate yourself. Ali may work for a short period of time but won't teach you self discipline, how to eat right, etc. It's a short term solution with no long term effects.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    dosent it give you oily discharge.....thats just eww
    and if you cant change your eating habits now then the minute you stop alli you will just gain the weight back
    you should try this first
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i would NEVER suggest it!

i have never taken it but my sister has done so and she would spend all morning running to the toilet after a night she didn't stick to it...it causes orange oily poo and if you 'fart' you risk leakage even if you have stuck to it
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have been using Sensa since 2-6-11 and have lost 6lbs, with it you sprinkle product on the food you eat. No side effects like seen with Ali. I have also been using MFP to record my eating habits which has really opened my eyes to how much I was eating and helps me maintain better eating habits. There is nothing here that says you cant eat certain types of food I can eat chocolate but as long as I stay in my calories for the day I can still loose weight. Good Luck.
    If you want to check out Sensa their website is trysensa.com
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    if you can't commit yourself to eating well, you definitely shouldn't take alli. you will leak into your pants, and that's just gross.

just count calories and eat healthier. i dunno what else to say. if there was a magic pill out there everyone would use it. do you want lasting results? teach yourself a healthier life. one or two changes per day can go a long way

i wish you luck!
  • genst
    genst Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My cousin takes xenical which I believe is the higher dosage of alli and she has to walk around with a pad on. So you might find the day to day side effects outweight the benefits
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to answer this:ohwell: , but at risk at catching lots of flack, I am going to give you an honest answer. I am an alli success story, unfortunately I am not the best diet success story, because I gradually put weight back on, but thats another story. I have used it on and off to get my weight back under control, with the blessing of my MD and pharmacist,since before alli was over the counter. First before trying it, I suggest that you read the warnings first, there are some people who shouldn't try it due to medical conditions. The reason that alli works for me is that it modifies my behavior. Once you are on it, there is no 'cheating" due to the potential side effects. And you can't just skip a dose to avoid the side effects, you need to be off of it for a week or better before diving into those chicken wings. This being said, it's a royal pain to go out to eat, you really have to pre-plan your meals. Does it work? For me, yes it does because when I'm on it, I have no choice but to eat a healthy diet that is low in fat. I am not saying that everyone should try it, but I did want you to know that for some people it does help.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I hesitate to answer this:ohwell: , but at risk at catching lots of flack, I am going to give you an honest answer. I am an alli success story, unfortunately I am not the best diet success story, because I gradually put weight back on, but thats another story. I have used it on and off to get my weight back under control, with the blessing of my MD and pharmacist,since before alli was over the counter. First before trying it, I suggest that you read the warnings first, there are some people who shouldn't try it due to medical conditions. The reason that alli works for me is that it modifies my behavior. Once you are on it, there is no 'cheating" due to the potential side effects. And you can't just skip a dose to avoid the side effects, you need to be off of it for a week or better before diving into those chicken wings. This being said, it's a royal pain to go out to eat, you really have to pre-plan your meals. Does it work? For me, yes it does because when I'm on it, I have no choice but to eat a healthy diet that is low in fat. I am not saying that everyone should try it, but I did want you to know that for some people it does help.

But what happens when you stop taking it and dont have to worry about side effects?Is this something you would want to do for the rest of your life?Just curious I have nothing against it really for myself I would rather not deal with the funky side effects
  • lnadeau66
    Options
    Then it's up to me to continue to utilize the "good habits" that I had to pick up while on it. My problem was that I had a few life style changes that lead to weight gain. And by the way, most people wouldn't want to deal with the side effects, I eat healthy to avoid them. When I get back down to where I need to be, I will stop taking it also.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I recently tried it, and I was not impressed. I didn't experience any of the negative effects (those aren't side effects -- that's how it works!), but I also did not lose any weight. I attribute this to the fact that I was at the low end of the weight range for which they recommend it (SW 170 lbs, 5'7"). Perhaps if you have more weight to lose (currently in the "obese" BMI range, for example), you might see more effect. I'm not sure if I just happened to hit a plateau at the time that I tried it, or if it was not effective for the weight I want to lose (25 more lbs) or what... but I have a half a bottle left.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I think you first need to ask your self why you aren't motivated. :heart:
  • mandykasase
    Options
    i was on xenical for a while which the stronger version. I'll give it to you straight, if you eat very fatty food and you decide to take it then it will probably work for you. Because it works by stopping absorption of 33% of fat consumed then things like McD's or KFC are a no-go as your bowels will be full of fat from your meals, this is what causes the leakage, you can't laught, sneeze or cough or it will leak. Once you stop eating fatty food, then it doesn't work anymore as there is no fat.You can't consume anything with more than 5g of fat.
    The other down side is it stops absorption of other vitamins and minerals and if you take oral contarception, then that stops working as well, as is evident by my 3year old daughter. That is the only good thing i got out of xenical.
    It works for a short time but as soon as you stop taking it or your body adapts then you just put all the weight back on. I wouldn't take it again, it's 3 steps foward and 7 steps back.
  • xtina11179
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I have been successful with using MFP (I have been a member since '08), eating healthy and exercising. My best success story here is that by doing all of these things, I lost 33 lbs. But here I am again, gaining it all back and 10 lbs more. My thought process is that by using Alli, and knowing the "side-effects" of it, I will not eat the fatty foods, thus training myself to eat things that are lower in fat, and hopefully not have the desire to indulge in them once again after I stop taking it. From what I have read, the MyAlli program that is included in the purchase DOES actually teach you how to eat better and also has a support forum so I was intrigued with the idea.

Again, I appreciate all of the info and advice.... I might have to do a little more research and discuss this idea with my doctor before making an ultimate decision on the subject!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    You've just said it yourself, even doing it the sensible way you can regain the weight. I guess it takes an awful lot longer to retrain yourself to stick to eating well and whether you're using MFP or a diet pill, if you go back to unhealthy eating the weight will come back on.

Only you can make the decision of whether to use alli but if you do decide to go with it, then stick with MFP too so you continue to get the support and knowledge that will hopefully help you keep it off this time.
  • lnadeau66
    Options
    I think that this is a great idea. Also the person who said stay with MFP and diet and exercise was right on target. I need to get some weight off fast due to health issues. The alli keeps me movitvated, but I don't recommend it to everyone, or to be honest, most people. Best of Luck to You!:smile: Lynn