birthday cake ideas

Options
So I need some help. My birthday is on Saturday. I normally go out for Mexican food (chicken & cheese enchiladas, and rice) and an ice cream cake, but I refuse to ruin my diet this year. I still have to eat something I enjoy on my day. So what are some other alternatives for dinner and desert? I love and miss cookies, pies, ice cream and cake. I really like sweets but don't know much about gluten free/low calorie desserts. I am new to cooking so it would have to be a simple recipe but i am open to hearing about everything. thanks :)

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    diet soda cake
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Well if you want a super easy gluten free chocolate cake, Betty Crocker has a mix that is pretty good (slightly dry but hard to notice with ice cream!) and easy to make. I don't know about the calorie count though... But I'd say if you pair a small piece of cake with some low fat frozen yogurt, it would not be too bad and a good birthday treat! Just make sure to make others take home left over cake! :)
    And Happy Birthday!

ETA- I have not tried the diet soda cake thing with gluten free mixes...I have heard it does not turn out well.
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For my Birthday I made cupcakes and iced them my self. That way I knew exactly how many calories I was getting. You can buy gluten free cake mixes in Target now. As far as dinner is concerned I would eat what you normally do but when you order ask them to bring you a box when you get your meal. Then you can put half of it in the box and not be tempted to eat a bigger portion. Good Luck and Happy Birthday!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I have an idea- I just came up with it but it might work!
    Udi's makes gluten free pizza crust- what if you make a fruit pizza. Gluten free crust, fat free cream cheese and sliced strawberries, blue berries, black berries what ever you can get right now and then sprinkle with a little sweetener and cinnamon?

Also you can make a crustless banana cream pie. use the bananas on the bottom of the pie plate, mix up some fat free banana pudding mix following the pie diections (sets up firmer) and top with fat free whip cream and almond slivers...

or you can check out these websites:
    www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com
    www.adventuresofaglutenfreemom.com

Good luck!!
    :drinker:
  • TBirdGirl
    TBirdGirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For my birthday I made a 'Better Than Sex Cake'.

1 box devil's food cake
    1 egg white
    1 can diet coke
    Cook as directed

While that cooks warm
    1/2 cup condensed milk (low fat)
    1/2 cup fat free caramel syrup

When cake is cooked poke holes in cake and pour caramel syrup mix over top. Then sprinkle crushed Heath bar over that. Cool completely. Add 1 container fat free cool whip for frosting. Sprinkle remainder of Heath bar over top. If you want, drizzle a little bit of caramel syrup.

So yummy. And so low cal. I think mine had 2 Heath bars cut into 15 servings and was around 230 calories. Cut down the Heath bar qty and cut smaller (which I totally could have).

So easy...

PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options

1 box devil's food cake
    1 egg white
    1 can diet coke
    Cook as directed

While that cooks warm

When cake is cooked poke holes in cake and pour caramel syrup mix over top. Then sprinkle crushed Heath bar over that. Cool completely. Add 1 container fat free cool whip for frosting. Sprinkle remainder of Heath bar over top. If you want, drizzle a little bit of caramel syrup.

So yummy. And so low cal. I think mine had 2 Heath bars cut into 15 servings and was around 230 calories. Cut down the Heath bar qty and cut smaller (which I totally could have).

So easy...

PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

make sure you use the egg whites i us 2 if you don't the cake will not hold together
  • TBirdGirl
    Options
    I almost didn't use the egg white but just using the 1 seemed to hold the cake together pretty well.
  • TBirdGirl
    Options

Ooops! I so didn't realize I was posting the same recipe...
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    White Birthday Cake with Italian Meringue Icing

This gorgeous white cake is great for any birthday. The fluffy meringue icing glides easily over the layers and acts as a canvas for any decoration you choose.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    Cake:
    Cooking spray
    2 cups sugar
    3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
    3 large eggs
    1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    3 cups cake flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
    Icing:
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    3 large egg whites
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; set aside.

Place 2 cups sugar and unsalted butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 5 minutes or until well blended. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, and mix after each addition. Pour batter into prepared cake pans. Sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool cake in pans for 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove cake from pans. Carefully peel off wax paper, and cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare icing, place cream of tartar and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form.

Combine 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring mixture frequently, and bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes or until a candy thermometer registers 238°. Pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread cake layer with 2 cups icing. Top with the remaining cake layer. Spread remaining icing over top and sides of cake.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    310 (28% from fat)
    Fat:
    9.7g (sat 5.8g,mono 2.6g,poly 0.5g)
    Protein:
    3.8g
    Carbohydrate:
    52.4g
    Fiber:
    0.3g
    Cholesterol:
    63mg
    Iron:
    1.5mg
    Sodium:
    202mg
    Calcium:
    33mg
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Banana-Raspberry Cake with Lemon Frosting

Mashed ripe banana adds moistness. The frosting, with cream cheese as its base, is similar to that of a traditional carrot cake.

Yield: 14 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

Ingredients
    Cake:
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    3 large eggs
    1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 bananas)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Frosting:
    3/4 cup (6 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
    2 tablespoons butter, softened
    2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Dash of salt
    2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
    1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries (optional)
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare the cake, coat 2 (8-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust each pan with 1 1/2 teaspoons flour.

Place granulated sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 3 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Lightly spoon 1 3/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.

Combine buttermilk, banana, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture (mix after each addition just until blended). Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake cake at 350° for 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Peel off wax paper. Cool layers completely on wire rack.

To prepare frosting, combine cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, rind, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and dash of salt in a large bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar; beat at low speed just until blended (do not overbeat).

Place 1 cake layer on a plate, and spread with 1/3 cup frosting. Arrange raspberries in a single layer over frosting, and top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in refrigerator. Garnish with fresh raspberries, if desired.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    289 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    8g (sat 4.6g,mono 2.4g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:
    4.5g
    Carbohydrate:
    51.7g
    Fiber:
    1.2g
    Cholesterol:
    60mg
    Iron:
    1mg
    Sodium:
    247mg
    Calcium:
    65mg
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    My favorite cake to make is a lemon cake with raspberry frosting. I'm not sure how many calories are in it, but when I make it I just get some yellow cake and I replace half of the water it tells you to add with lemon juice. So if it says use 1 cup of water on the box, I do 1/2 water and 1/2 lemon juice....or all depends on if you want it to taste very lemony or not. Then I buy raspberries (typically frozen when it is not raspberry season) and I mix them into the frosting (either store bought or homemade)... I like to use a lot of the juice from the berries, as well as some whole berries for texture! It's very yummy if you like these two flavors!!
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I personally say if you have been sticking to your diet and calories and you work out as needed then have reasonable meals that day and treat yourself to one cupcake from your favorite bakery ... its your birthday!
  • awyler
    awyler Posts: 78
    Options

1 box devil's food cake
    1 egg white
    1 can diet coke
    Cook as directed

While that cooks warm

So easy...

PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

OMG this sounds AMAZING! my boyfriends bday is next weekend and he doesnt like sweets but he will eat ANYTHING with heath bar, so im def going to make this!