flectuating weight anyone?

Options
Have any others had a problem with daily weight flectuation? In the past week I have weighted myself every morning only to see the weight flectuate up to five pounds. Yesterday morning I weighed 126.4 and this morning the scale read 128.8. Six days ago I saw 124.6. Aargh! I don't know what to believe. I certainly can't track any progress. Any ideas?

Replies

• sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    Its normal.
    Stop weighing yourself so often.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    ME TOO!!! and what funny i weigh about the same as you! I was good on diet all week, but way over on sodium, i'm thinking thats my problem...do you track that? I also did 2 workouts everyday, i don't know if my body is holding onto extra water from that as well...so this week i am going easier and going to watch my sodium alot closer! Hope this helps!!!

Oh and everyone says dont weigh yourself everday, but i do it too, helps me stay on track!
  • jaysp87
    Options
    I have the same problem.

I have no idea how to help it or fix it or what to believe. For awhile I was weighing myself every morning and every night. I'd be 10 pounds heavier at night. Then it started to be closer to 5 pounds difference, now it is the same.

However, I can weigh myself tomorrow and be 5, 10 sometimes 15 pounds different than today. Heavier or lighter. I don't know what is going on. I have hand weights that I'll test each time the scale says something different (they equal 10 pounds) and it always reads that correctly so it can't be my scale!

I've become obsessed with seeing what the scale would say just because of how much it fluctuates.

ugh!
  • kimiel
    kimiel Posts: 108
    Options
    Yes, I have the same issue. I have seen that some people only weigh once a week to avoid such frustrations, but I like to do it every morning at the same time without clothes. I think that sodium intake and water retention are the main culprits, but it is frustrating to say the least.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    there are so many posts about the evil scale, how we shouldn't weigh in every day . . . I still weigh every day, usually more often than that. I have come to understand we need to look for a range. I will fluctuate between a couple of pounds, but tracking those weights on the chart here I can see my line generally going down. Things that can make you fluctuate within a few lbs are:

water weight
    sodium intake
    gaining lean muscle
    constipation

just to name a few! It is also helpful if you add a set of measurements along with your scale data.
  • jaysp87
    Options
    Also sugar intake. I started to track my sugar and sodium intake and both are high. I was able to cut down on sodium but sugar is hard. I don't typically count natural sugars though.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water and try not to weigh so much. Getting hydrated will help with fluctuations quite a bit. 126 or 128 do not sound like bad weights to me though.

Also watch the sodium.
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate like mad on the scale!!
    I can see up to 6lbs from overnight, but some days I'll weigh the same in the morning as I did the night before..

I take Monday's weight as my weekly weight though and never count it as a loss unless it's down on the Monday.
    I saw 203 the other day, but I didn't count it because it wasn't a Monday, as it happened I'm back to 204.5/205.5 at the moment so it was just a fluctuation.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are very normal. Best advice....stop weighing yourself every single day. Pick one day of the week and weigh yourself at the same time each week on that day.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    mine fluctuates alot, it's up 3lbs since a week ago when i have stayed in my calorie/fat limits and have been exercising :(