What keeps you away from pop?

Options

Replies

• kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Nothing keeps me from it so I learned not to buy it. :tongue:

Seriously, I will have a soda some times but usually I drink black coffee, unsweetened tea, and water. It basically comes down to not wanting to waste calories on beverages!
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    it's mind over matter, i've had pop, sometimes i have a few a week, but i dont need it or even want it, i actually like water better
  • laurabeth02
    Options
    I started drinking crystal light, and slowly added more and more water to it. Now, I drink water with a dash of crystal light. It took me about a month, but I can hardly drink regular soda or crystal light now. Water tastes so much better. Just give it time, you'll get there. :smile:
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    all the weight I've lost since I gave it keep me away pretty well. After 3 soda free months I stopped wanting it. After 6 I rarely even thought about it except for yuck when I would get offered one. Now its been over a year and I don't ever see myself drinking it again.

but a good not really soda but kinda like soda if it wasn't poison treat for me has been Steaz green tea root beer, this stuff is so amazing and tasty!
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    I would go with sparkeling water for sure! Stick a little lemon in it. Or make ice tea and don't put anything in it. I like to get fresh mint and steep them together.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I replaced all pop and juice with homemade green tea. I buy the tea bags from the store then make a pitcher of tea then add as much sugar as I feel necessary. That way I control all that goes in it. I don't crave pop at all anymore except maybe once a month and that is always a diet coke. Other than that I drink water and water with twist tubes and that keeps me happy and healthy!! It takes some will power at first but it sounds like you don't drink a lot to begin with so it should be easy :)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I used to be a Coke addict (the drink, not the other kind LOL :laugh: ).

Water or grapefruit juice is what I drink now
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I like to think that I would rather eat my calories than drink them!

Ha! I've thought this too. I can have another sandwich OR drink a Dr. Pepper.

But in all seriousness, I just weened myself off. I drink so much water that I don't have time to think about drinking a soda. I have had one in the past 2 months and honestly it tasted funny.
  • Shannon7713
    Shannon7713 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Wow, everyone has such great ideas about getting off soda... I drink Caffeine-Free Diet Coke, id say about 3 to 4 cans a day..... Thats been something I cant seem to stop. I renently went to Caffeine free a couple months back and now I can sleep so much better!! I feel better too, less headaches :) I just cant seem to get away from it tho.... Ill have to try the sparkling water....
  • Kiwijay
    Kiwijay Posts: 216
    Options
    Luckily I don't really like it, very rarely do I crave it or anything like that and LOVE drinking water! I go through heaps of water a day and don't drink anything else. I also don't drink hot drinks so save on empty cals and stuff on that. Fizzy is addictive though!
  • lindainak
    Options
    Try mixing tea: green tea or black tea and add a flavored tea(pick a flavor you really enjoy; peach, berry etc) and drink without sweetner. There are some wonderful tasting combinations that are especially good over ice.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Cherry Coke with lunch and dinner. Quit that cold after a neighbor's kid spilled some Coke on the hood of her car one night, decided she'd clean it up in the morning and came out to find that it had stripped the paint off the hood over the course of the night. That can't be good for ya...
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    One thing is I have severely cut back on my fast food intake. It was pretty customary to get a diet sodea (always makes me laugh at that) when I would stop at McD's. My thought has been that I want to eat as natural as possible and there isn't much natural about soda, especially the diet stuff. It's the same syrup made with artificial sweeteners without the calories. I just made water my primary source of hydration along with some nutritional drinks that are primarily smoothies. I'd much rather get my energy from nutritious food than caffeine, so that's another motivator.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I gave up my Diet Coke addiction nearly two years ago. Best decision of my life!!! I have more energy, sleep better, skin looks better, no headaches... need I go on!!!! I know that things are fine in moderation, but for me, it was an addiction that needed to end! If you're serious about getting off it, just stop! Easier said than done, but I now drink only water and 1-2 glasses of unsweetened fresh iced tea per day (none of that Nestea crap). Of course, I have wine or beer on very rare occasions... but I always have to count the calories ahead so I don't go over for the day!!!!
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I used to have 1-2 sodas/day and now I hardly have it at all. I honestly don't miss it like I thought I would. I just drink more water and I like the sugar free lemonades.
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    knowing i swill swell and bloat keeps me away from it. and now that ive done without it so long it tastes horrible. like pure sugar syrup. YUCK!
  • egoplast
    egoplast Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Just decided to stop.
    I had started slowing down before deciding to stop and was really surprised at how much sodium I could taste when I would have one after a week or two. It really became disgusting to me.
  • mama_mia3
    Options
    I just stopped cold turkey. It's amazing how much better I can fall sleep now.

I actually don't drink anything now except for water and protein shakes. No pop, tea, etc.

Occasionally I have a glass of wine though. :)

Same here!! I cut it out completely and it was easier than I thought it would be. Had just a couple headaches from the withdrawl (because I would drink like 6 cans, or equivalent to that, in one day), but Exedrine nipped that in the bud fairly quick and I have at least a cup of coffee in the morning before I start anything (lol). I don't think about it much which is what surprised me the most. I too afraid that if I pop open a can I'll just say screw it and start buying it again...and I don't want to. I like the Crystal Light on the go packets...Raspberry Peach is my current favorite. I, too, drink an occassional glass of red wine if we ever all sit down together for a nice dinner. Without the pop, I am alot more energized and yes! I second the fact that since I've cut it out I have been going to sleep alot easier and having a much sounder sleep. Good luck to you!! You'll notice a big difference once you get completely off of it.

Also, club soda with lime is good if you like the carbonation. It takes some getting used to, but I've been having that when we go OUT out to a bar...its like a gin and tonic without the gin :)
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm steered away by calories because I don't drink diet soda. Aspartame(in my opinion) is far worse for you than regular soda. They are way more addictive and sweeter.

I had one today because I was up late and didn't want to get up but knew if I didn't my schedule would be thrown off and I'd have trouble sleeping tonight. I had caffeinated tea I could have made but of course the Mt Dew was ready to go. I was drinking 1 a day sometimes 2 but cut them out of daily "diet" over a month ago.

Like many zero calorie foods its like that as a serving but how do we know many servings don't add up to calories? Work your way onto water only its weird because I don't really have a desire for soda anymore.
  • ctchc28
    Options
    Always having water on hand does keep me from craving soda. However water day in and day out can sometimes get monotonous, so what I do is make a batch of ice tea (sans any sugar or sugar substitute). I will make jasmine green tea, or a peach black tea etc. etc. A flavored tea of some kind, green tea especially because it is so healthy, naturally caffeine free, helps with your metabolism etc. Eventually you won't even miss the sugar. I hadn't had a soft drink in probably months until this weekend and found myself preferring water, and reaching for it out of desire instead.