Cold Weather running

Options
I am tired of doing my couth to 5k on the treadmill. I would love to get outside even thought it is cold. So that being said- what do you wear running in the cold. I am not going long distances. I do have a pair of compression pants to wear but do you wear just a wicking l/s shirt and hat?

Replies

• tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    What temp is cold for you? Also depends on how windy, wind chill.

You could try RunnersWorld.com's What Should I Wear tool
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/whattowear/0,7152,s6-240-325-330-0-0-0-0-0,00.html
  • neuropsyence
    neuropsyence Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This could also involve some trial and error on your part. Since everyone's different you may need to try it out first, then decide if you were too hot or too cold during your run, adjusting accordingly for the next run. I've ran in 20* F (and occasionally below) with compression shorts, gym shorts, a hat and gloves, under armour whicking layer, and a long sleeve shirt. I don't get cold easily so this may not work for everyone.

You may also consider a scarf over your face if it's cold enough, nothing will kill your workout like icy air in your lungs.
  • andrewferk
    Options
    I highly recommend the under armour coldgear hood.

Besides that, I generally would layer in under armour, wind breaker, and a thermal long sleeve. I also use thick socks and cross training shoes (running shoes can be dangerous on snow and ice). If your feet get cold or wet, game over.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone and somewhat dependent on temperature, how often you have to take breaks(you cool off quickly when you take breaks!) and whether there's any wind.

If it's 45 or above, I wear shorts and a long sleeve top. 45 is sort of my breaking point. Around that temp, I start wearing tights and a heavy weight wicking shirt with a half zip and fold over cuffs. The cuffs make little mittens for the start of your run to keep your hands warm, and then fold back to expose them when you warm up. ( I used to constantly come home with one glove before I discovered these mitten tops! )

You generally want to be slightly chilly at the beginning of your run--otherwise, you are soon going to discover that you're overdressed once you're cruising along!

It's going to take some trial and error.

If you drive to your running trail, I highly recommend bringing a warm, dry shirt with you for the ride home.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My fave cold weather running gear are my Smart Wool socks. Also love my Buff.
  • ofccat
    ofccat Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    What temp is cold for you? Also depends on how windy, wind chill.

I am not a fun of cold so if it is colder than 30 I am thinking I won't be outside. Now with the windchill maybe 25.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    There's actually another thread out there similar to this one that's got a lot of great info:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/68309-cold-weather-runners

I definitely think running is much funner and more productive when done outdoors. Here's my post from that thread:

The only thing that kept me from running in the winters was if there was ice or snow pack all over (not that you couldn't with cleats I guess). But now that I live in Houston, TX that's never an issue. The cold is pretty easy to overcome. Some practical points to battle the cold but still pack light are:

- You really will produce a lot of body heat so to start out a little chilly is ok.
    - I dress in layers with the first layer being long-sleeved UA or other wick-away stuff up to the neck (that way you don't have to add a scarf)
    - lower body should be loose-fitting and with a 'hard' shell outer lining (no wind gets thru it)
    - for my outer layer top I like to use a very long-sleeved hoodie. That way I can pull the hoodie on when needed but flip it off once I'm warmed up. It also helps keep my earphones in. Also I can tuck my hands in the loose long sleeves when cold, but let em out when they're warm. No need to carry extra gloves & take em off half way thru.
    - Definitely use chapstick

All in all though, I really find that my body heat really puts out. So I've learned that even if I start out a little chilly, I'll get quite warm once I'm into it so I like being able to adjust on the run without having to hassle with little extras.