Learning from cheat meals

Options
After a good week of dieting, exercise and weight loss I decided to treat myself with popcorn and frozen coke at the movies. I did the calorie math before hand therefore I knew it would put me over my MFP calorie target but not over my maintenance target. None the less I knew it would slow my weight loss down but I felt like a treat.

The day after I regretted it. It wasn't the fact that I had a cheat meal; it was more the choice of cheat meal.

My stomach felt awful and I had a headache all day. Sure part of it was not sleeping enough on Saturday night but the popcorn was mostly to blame.

My weight hasn't changed so at least I didn't gain weight. I haven't lost any weight either.

The thing is that I could have gone without the popcorn. I wasn't yearning for it like I have in the past. Why did I do it? Habit, maybe. Chocolate or lollies would have been a better choice if I just *had* to cheat on my diet.

Next time I have a cheat meal it will be something a bit more gourmet. I won't go for anything that I know will make me feel ill afterwards and I definitely won't have a cheat meal just because I think it's time. I'm not going to set a day to have a cheat meal, I'm just going to have one when I feel compelled to and only if I've had at least a week of good dieting and weight loss.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Replies

• lmburi
    lmburi Posts: 22
    Options
    Oh, I feel that way about cheat meals a lot. I always end up finding that if I decide I'm going to cheat, I go WAY overboard. And I my digestive system typically feels pretty off for several days afterward. For me, I pretty much make nothing off limits on any day, as long as I'm within my calories, so I that I don't feel like I need to cheat. The other thing that I do with the movies (which might not work for you, since you aren't a woman and probably don't carry a big purse, though maybe you could use a saddle bag or something) is bring in my own popcorn from home, which you can have the 100 calories bags or even a larger bag for as low as 200 calories. That with some 0 calories Life Water or something like that (which you could freeze at home in advance to make it slushy) would give you the treat you want while still being reasonable. I know it's not really good to sneak in food, but I've even brought in veggies like red peppers or celery to dip into salsa (one of my favorite snacks). Anyway, I hear you on the cheat meal thing!
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am personally dealing with that today. :ohwell: We went out for my son's, my oldest daughter and my Mom's birthday last night. Boy, I am a hurting unit today. I have felt awful all day.
  • suziehomemaker
    Options
    yeah same here had a big get together with friends we havent seen in a long time yesturday and i ate like a pig :frown: .....so needless to say i was sick and tired all day today and dint make great choices again today so i am feeling it even worse :sick: :yawn:
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    yes, absolutely! i had fried fish and french fries today after months of no fried food. while it tasted good, my stomach was not happy at all. i felt sick almost immediately after finishing. not worth it!!!!!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel that way about cheat meals a lot. I always end up finding that if I decide I'm going to cheat, I go WAY overboard. And I my digestive system typically feels pretty off for several days afterward. For me, I pretty much make nothing off limits on any day, as long as I'm within my calories, so I that I don't feel like I need to cheat. The other thing that I do with the movies (which might not work for you, since you aren't a woman and probably don't carry a big purse, though maybe you could use a saddle bag or something) is bring in my own popcorn from home, which you can have the 100 calories bags or even a larger bag for as low as 200 calories. That with some 0 calories Life Water or something like that (which you could freeze at home in advance to make it slushy) would give you the treat you want while still being reasonable. I know it's not really good to sneak in food, but I've even brought in veggies like red peppers or celery to dip into salsa (one of my favorite snacks). Anyway, I hear you on the cheat meal thing!

I bring a man-bag to the movies so I can put my wallet, keys, phone, tissues and anticols (allergies) in so I could bring stuff in.

I should just avoid pop corn all together. For me the thing about popcorn is the gorging. In all honesty people probably don't like the flavour of popcorn but the act of scoffing it down is what makes me buy it.

From now on if I want treats in the movies I'll get lollies that are easy to track like M&Ms.