quick question about c25k

Options
I just started today and it wasnt too bad I actually enjoyed it and I have always hated running... anywho how do i know Im ready to move on the next week what would u recommend... should I stay on week one for a couple weeks then move and see how I feel... how did everyone do it... I would love hear others stories...:tongue:

Replies

• happy115
    Options
    I actually ran 5 times a week and just used c25k whenever I was running. It really depends on how you take it... I was preparing for a 5k that was in 4 weeks and wanted to up the training - but the program is meant to be done 3x a week, but listen to your body and don't forget rest days and strength training.
  • Determined120509
    Options
    I am currently on week 4. I'm kind of sticking to the week by week schedule but sort of not. The first 2 weeks were not bad and i completed them in 2 weeks. the 3rd week i did for 2 weeks and that is probably how it will be until the end of the program. I say if you ever feel like you have to stop or do stop then you are not ready to move on. Good luck!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of Jeff Galloway's website before getting started running again. He gave some minimums like you should be able to XXX long without feeling like you are going to die to start this program, etc. If you feel like you need to work on conditioning before you start the plan, this is what he suggests (clipped from his website http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html):

8 Week Conditioning Program (for those who need a little more fitness before the half or full marathon training program begins)

Note: if you need several weeks at each run/walk ratio level, take it. This pre-conditioning training should not be stressful or painful. When in doubt, ease off.

Week 1 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 10 min run/walk
    Tues: 15 min walk
    Wed: 13 min run/walk
    Thurs: 18 min walk
    Fri: off
    Sat: 1 mile run/walk
    Sun: off/walk

Week 2 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 5 seconds/walk for 55 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 15 min run/walk
    Tues: 20 min walk
    Wed: 17 min run/walk
    Thurs: 22 min walk
    Sat: 1.25 mi run/walk

Week 3 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 19 min run/walk
    Tues: 24 min walk
    Wed: 21 min run/walk
    Thurs: 26 min walk
    Sat: 1.5 mi run/walk

Week 4 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 23 min run/walk
    Tues: Walk 28 min
    Wed: 25 min run/walk
    Thurs: Walk 30 min
    Sat: 1.75 mi run/walk

Week 5 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 10 seconds/walk for 50 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 27 min run/walk
    Tues: Walk 30 min
    Wed: 29 min run/walk
    Sat: 2 mi run/walk

Week 6 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Mon: 30 min run/walk
    Tues: Walk 30 min
    Wed: 30 min run/walk
    Sat: 2.25 mi run/walk

Week 7 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Tues: walk 30 min
    Sat: 2.5 mi run/walk

Week 8 (walkers will walk only, runners will run for 15 seconds/walk for 45 seconds on the run/walk days)
    Tues: walk 30 min
    Sat: 2.75 mi run/walk
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I finished the C25K in December and I would say that, if the week is challenging for you but you are able get thru it without stopping early, walking more than you are supposed to, etc., then you should move on to the next week. You can always go back a week if u find its too challenging.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've just started week 5 of c25k and have taken 6 weeks to work through the first fort weeks of the program. Part of this was giving myself permission to take it at my ow pace, I thought I would die the first day and I only did 6 of the runs. I'm just taking it week by week and repeating days if I think I need to
  • cjudesaenz
    cjudesaenz Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think ill just see how i feel ... and I yes I am strength training been doing a circuit program for about a month now it has everything lunges squats core jumping and cardio activities and I have surpassed all my expectations and now i want to maybe someday call myself a runner