Whey Protein= Stomach aches

Options
I was just curious if there was anyone else out there that experiences an upset stomach every time they have whey protein powder. I have been drinking the GNC pro performance whey powder after workouts about every other day. I only use the recommended one scoop. Also are there any suggestions on how to not get stomach aches? Thanks for any help =)

Replies

• gazbo1986
    Options
    you're drinking GNC that's youre problem right there. I used to gag from the GNC mass gainer powder I had, it's some of the crappiest quality WPC on the market.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    GNC is gross...I suggest optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein in extreme chocolate milk...yummy with no funny texture and no tummy aches.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any other protein powders as it may just be that one, also there are other alternatives to whey such as soy.
    I haven't experienced much stomach problems using mine, but the first time I had it I put it in the blender with water it made it extremely lightweight and tasted a bit like I was drinking air, that gave me a stomach ache so I started mixing it by hand with a fork and it would turn out thicker, since then no problems :)
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I used to get tummy aches, with a different brand I was using, I forget what it was though. I use Body Fortress now, and no tummy aches!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    GNC is gross...I suggest optimum nutrition 100% gold standard whey protein in extreme chocolate milk...yummy with no funny texture and no tummy aches.

This as well! This is the exact one I bought a couple of weeks back, sooo much nicer than my old protein powder which tasted horrible, and really easy to drink :)
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Try getting the Whey from Walmart....GNC makes some have stomach aches...I have not had any stomach problems with the kindI get at Walmart.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Completely agree about trying a different brand.

But it may also be what you are mixing it with. I know a lot of my runner friends can't handle dairy right after a workout, but I love it and make a protein smoothie w/chocolate milk after my long runs.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    you're drinking GNC that's youre problem right there. I used to gag from the GNC mass gainer powder I had, it's some of the crappiest quality WPC on the market.

Haha!!!!

I use Body fortress Vanilla and mix it with skim milk and frozen fruit in the blender! Taste great, no stomachaches
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar . It is sooo yummy. I had the RNY surgery and this is what Barriatri suggested. No sugar or preservatives. No tummy aches only good protein.
  • holi0602
    Options
    I have been mixing it with water so I don't think it is from the lactose. However, it could be the gnc brand. Are you usually supposed to take it after food or anything?
  • holi0602
    Options
    Also this is the only thing that I am eating that is not organic so some of the additives may be upsetting my stomach. Has anyone used a more natural whey protein?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    Options
    I have been mixing it with water so I don't think it is from the lactose. However, it could be the gnc brand. Are you usually supposed to take it after food or anything?

I don't think it matters when you take it, after food should be fine. But straight after a workout would be the most beneficial time.
  • holi0602
    Options
    I use Syntrax Nectar . It is sooo yummy. I had the RNY surgery and this is what Barriatri suggested. No sugar or preservatives. No tummy aches only good protein.

Thanks, I have chosen to go with the syntax nectar naturals fruit punch =)