Weight training for women

Options
Hey everyone,

So I've pretty much come to the realization that I need to tone in order to feel better about myself because I'm not sure my body will lose much more weight.

However, I've never really done a real weight training routine before and was wondering if there are any out there that you would suggest for me?
I have access to most equipment because I can go the school gym so that isn't really a worry.

Let me know what you think

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I go to a class because I feel pretty lost around the weights in the gym but there are a lot of magazines like Self, Oxygen etc that have weight lifting routines. You can also find suggestions online. I am a fan of "couch to 5k" on facebook and they post tons of helpful links - I think there were two today about weight lifting. You might also check out active.com

do you have the option to hire a personal trainer? I am considering this. Or do you know any students who are knowledgeable about weights? Maybe they could help you get started.
  • kayelkay
    Options
    I would suggest getting an exercise video and following that if you are a beginner. That way, you will learn new moves and get a good amount of variety and reps. I personally like videos such as Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, or the biggest loser power sculpt, because htye each have 3 different difficulty levels so it's like 3 workouts in one
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    You can go to Collagevideo.com you can look at every exercise DVD before you buy one and decide if it's for you or not. All so you can go to youtube they have quite a few exercise routines.
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Power 90 with my boyfriend. So far I'm loving it, and after only a week I'm already noticing a difference in my endurance.
  • keschuh79
    Options
    Most of the strength training I do is in sculpt classes, but the spark people website has some really great instructional videos. Lots of toning ideas for different parts of your body to do at home or wherever you have access to equipment (or even without equipment). All great stuff. And it's free!

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_videos.asp
  • leighclayton
    leighclayton Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If you are new to strength training I would suggest booking a couple of sessions with the personal trainer at your gym so that you know that you are doing the exercises correctly and with proper form. DVD's are another good suggestion. I personally like Rachel Cosgrove's Female Body Breakthrough book as she is really into developing correct posture and form in the beginning phases of her workouts.
  • ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to see about trying out some personal trainer sessions at my gym and see if we can work something out! I appreciate all the suggestions :smile: