New Balance Watch HRM anyone?

Options
My husband just purchased me a New Balance Heart rate monitor to use on walks and indoor workouts. However I'm a little confused on how to use it. I did the Jillian Michaels Shred DVD and it said I burned 457 calories. This cannot be right. When I log the Shred as 20minutes of circuit training MFP says 192. I must be using it wrong. I've read the directions and from what I read I thought I was doing it correctly, but this just cannot be right. Can someone possibly try to help me?

Replies

• mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    That is the exact one that I am getting tomorrow....Did you put your information in and not your husbands? Im getting the woman version with the band monitor...
  • Determined120509
    Options
    i had a NB HRM and took mine back to target the next day. The calorie burn was way off...especially when I laid it on my nightstand to get a shower and when I got out...i had somehow burnt 20 calories ?
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My Timex HRM calculates a much higher burn than that MFP site as well. The HRM is supposed to be more accurate so I would go with the HRM results. MFP cannot account for the true intensity of your workout, the HRM can based on your heartrate.
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Alot here on MFP uses the Polar brand, but i havent been able to find one and I dont want to order it online.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I bought the NB watch and I think the burn was way off after 20 minutes of Zumba it said I only burned 50 calories ... Im 400 pounds and can burn 50 calories walking up and down the steps two or three times so I know I burned more than that doing Zumba ... I would invest in a HRM with a chest strap for sure not just the watch models
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Alot here on MFP uses the Polar brand, but i havent been able to find one and I dont want to order it online.

I ordered my polar FT4 online from a site called Paragon.sports for $89.95 had it in less than a week ... You also can find the Polar brand at some macys and foot lockers I believe
  • Aubers
    Aubers Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Figured it out ladies! Oopps it was set for a 30yr old MALE. I'm a 24yr old FEMALE lol oopps. Hubby figured it all out, set my low and max heart rate, so hopefully tomorrow it will be more accurate :)

I'm really big on Breast Cancer Awareness and he found a breast cancer one at Target and knew I would love it :) Nothing really expensive or too fancy, like I mentioned, just something for walking and indoor workouts.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    it's entirely possible that you are using it correctly. my HRM gave my a burn of 636 of 20 minutes of zumba on the wii the first time i ever used it. if you're heart rate is up at 80% or more, that could be true! but i did learn later that my "calories burned" on the HRM is cumulative of all workouts. one day, i went to a zumba class and burned 1216 calories that hour because my heart rate was really up there the whole time and i was giving it my everything. the next day, i went to HIIT (high intensity interval training), and forgot to clear the memory, and my calories burned read as 2100, but i had worn it before and the most i'd ever done was 900 calories burned in HIIT before. i subtracted my zumba calories from before and it was 884- that seemed more likely. so make sure you clear the memory each time, and trust the HRM.

hope that helps!
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options