My first day..

Options
Today was my first day really keeping and eye on my sugar and sodium intake. Holy crap...it's TOUGH!! Any advice on keeping sodium low would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Do we HAVE to?? (re keeping sodium low) LOL Honestly I have a hard time with this. So many foods are processed and with processing, comes the sodium and/or sugar. So I guess the best way to avoid these things is to stay away from anything in a can or box. Good luck!!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    No processed foods. Make as much of your diet fresh or fresh/frozen foods and it won't be hard to keep your sodium within range. As has been posted many times, if you eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day, you may go over on your sugars. Most of us ( it seems) with this issue, pay attention to where the sugar comes from. If it's healthy food and calories are in check, we accept the overage.
  • MommyRobot
    MommyRobot Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No processed foods. Make as much of your diet fresh or fresh/frozen foods and it won't be hard to keep your sodium within range. As has been posted many times, if you eat 3-4 servings of fruit a day, you may go over on your sugars. Most of us ( it seems) with this issue, pay attention to where the sugar comes from. If it's healthy food and calories are in check, we accept the overage.

This is what I was thinking before talking to my trainer. He doesn't want me to take in more than 20g of sugar/day no matter where it comes from. :/
  • epeebes
    epeebes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    A month ago when I really started keeping track I had a hard time keeping my sodium low. But now it's a breeze. It's something you learn through trial and error. I'd say maybe once a week I might go over.

Honestly the best way to lower sodium is to simple read the nutrition labels. Anything with more than 300-400mg of sodium a serving is a product I put back on the shelf. I compare labels. I literally have spent 5-10 minutes in the bread aisle looking at wheat bread comparing sodium vs calories vs serving size etc. Once you spend the time to compare it becomes second nature to pick out the foods you want to buy.

It's by no means easy. I miss my frozen waffles and pancake mixes for the weekends. But We are trying to teach ourselves healthy eating right?

Hope that helps! Good luck!