Not a fan of cheat days

Options
I am not a fan of using the term "cheat days." It makes me feel like I am doing something wrong. We are taught from a very young age that cheating isn't right. What other terms do you use?

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Um goodie day?
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I don't like the term either.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    How about "treat day" instead!?! ;)
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    o' happy day!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I just say "I didn't make very good choices today." Because that's the truth. I'm not going to label it and try to make it sound like anything other than poor choices. But that's just me -- I don't judge people who call them "cheat days." Whatever works, you know?
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    How about "treat day" instead!?! ;)
    i like this one
  • holly0623
    Options
    Reward day ?
  • jpeebs88
    Options
    Splurge day?
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,276 Member
    Options
    I don't have these regularly but recently I just said I was giving myself a break for a day or 2. I still logged and stayed under or at goal I just let myself have a few treats I usually avoid. Treat day is good or giving myself a break. I don't even like to say making bad choices because I think it is good to let yourself know that you are in this for the lkong haul and sometimes you can have a treat.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Freebie day - then it sounds good!
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Allowance
  • saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Why sweet talk it? You cheat on your diet, that's what you do. If you don't like the "term", don't do the "crime".
    This is so "differently abled"

Since you are on a diet and you are trying to stick to a meal plan, if you don't, you cheat. If you want to do it on a regular base, incorporate it into your meal plan and call it a "day".
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    free day or mental health day
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Splurge day?

See I prefer this! Has a more positive note to it. Cheat has a negative ring.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    Why sweet talk it? You cheat on your diet, that's what you do. If you don't like the "term", don't do the "crime".

Since you are on a diet and you are trying to stick to a meal plan, if you don't, you cheat. If you want to do it on a regular base, incorporate it into your meal plan and call it a "day".

I gotta say, ITA.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I am not on a "diet" it is a lifestyle.
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Options
    Each Friday I eat at my maintenance which should be around 2,000 to 2,200 calories. In weight loss mode I eat around 1,500 calories every other day. As I get close to my goal weight I will add more maintenance days in. I figure i need to learn to eat at my maintenance sooner or later so I might as well start now. I still lose around 1.5 pounds each week this way.

So, it is not a cheat day but i do eat good on these days.:smile:
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

I gotta say, ITA.

The original poster did not ask for your opinions on whether or not one should have a cheat day... but rather alternative names for it. It's fine for you if you don't want to indulge every now and then... but don't come down on those who feel differently. What works for one person may not work for another. Respect the original poster's right to allow herself a day off if she wants it. It really is none of your business!
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    all (for the most part) very good ideas! I havn't really changed my eating habits from how I ate before MFP. The main thing I've changed is eating more protein (as advised by a wellness coach) and eating more frequently. I have always eaten fairly healthy. I do not view what I am doing as a diet. "diets" have an end... I don't plan on changing what I am doing, therefore it is a lifestyle =)
  • BrandNewMia
    Options

I gotta say, ITA.

The original poster did not ask for your opinions on whether or not one should have a cheat day... but rather alternative names for it. It's fine for you if you don't want to indulge every now and then... but don't come down on those who feel differently. What works for one person may not work for another. Respect the original poster's right to allow herself a day off if she wants it. It really is none of your business!

I don't think anyone said she shouldn't do it. I'm not perfect, I eat things that I probably shouldn't sometimes, but I'm not going to call it something fluffy just to make myself feel better about it. I try not to beat myself up for cheating, but like the OP said, this is a lifestyle change, and the changes I make have to fit the rest of my life. I'm not going to go the rest of my life without chocolate, or ice cream. But I can't eat them every day. I am OK with cheating every once in a while - but it's still cheating.

Why are people getting so bent out of shape about this? We all have our own opinions.