HRM calories burned question

Options
I bought a HRM this weekend and tested it out this morning. to me, the numbers seem too high (higher than MFP is giving me too for the same actvity)

Basically i ran for 1 hour 35 minutes, with and average heart rate of 180. I'm 25 and weigh 145 and when I uploaded the data from my run it said i burned 1500 calories! MFP is closer to 950... 1500 seems absurd to me.

All of the settings were done correctly prior to starting (age, weight, etc.)

does this seem high to anyone else?

Replies

• seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Does your HRM have a chest strap? The strap gives the most accurate cals burned
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    If your HR truly was 180 that long it sounds about right. When I run my HR average is 160 and I burn over 600 in an hour. I would imagine with a HR of 180 it would be much higher.
    Also keep in mind MFP estimates calories burned based on what a member has entered. So even though it's saying you burned less calories it could have been entered by someone with totally different stats than you, gender, age, etc.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i do have a chest strap.. i read up a little bit on them before buying one and it seemed that those are more accurate than ones that do not have the chest strap.

It's weird because i don't *feel* like my heart rate is that high (until abotu the last mile or 2 anyway :) ) but my resting heart rate seems to be pretty accurate with the monitor so i guess it is right! hopefully i can work on bring that down a bit as i am only running at 5.7 mph!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    is it a timex ?
    Ok just to confuse things more. I jogged Sunday with my polar FT4 and my Timex Ironman zone trainer and my run keeper app. I also put my numbers into a few web sites. yes both HRM are set up right and for me Yes the Timex is way wrong in their formula and I have know that since the first time I put it on. ANd no I don't jog fast, slow and steady. I use to run 5 days a week had some foot problems, now I go once a week on my rest day from P90X, which by the way has really helped my feet and made me a stronger jogger. BLAH BLAH BLAH anyway here's the info
    Polar 1:29:22 Time Calories 741 Average HR 154 Max 185 In Zone 1:08:09

Timex 1:29:35 Time Calories 1373 Average HR 153 Max 176 In Zone 1:02:00

Run Keeper gives me this 6.30 miles 13:38 min miles 809 cal

WWW.triathlontraning gives me 922 cal info they wanted age 47, weight 155, Gender F , Average HR, Duration.V02 I Use 35

MFP could only put 5mph Its really 4.25 coldn't fine a way to do that 834 calories burned

Health Status web site (say best calcultor) only asked for age and duration 731 cal

Run the Plant web sites two ways to calculate Weight and distance 638 calories Speed and miles per hour 876 Calories

So what does it all mean? I don't know and either does anyone else! But my general thought, we cant get to caught up in the numbers
    because the power that be are still trying to figure them out. (side note... my timex zone trainer..... I have always known to 1/2 my calorie numbers but there may be people out there that dont and Timex should be ashamhed)
    I had on both straps.
  • amw8675309
    amw8675309 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    i have a Garmin (FR60)... i tried using a website to calculate calories based of average heart rate, and without knowing my VO2 max... that put me somehwere at 1100-1200 calories... so i guess everything is all over teh place and i should err on the lower end of these estimates!