Stuffed peppers

Options
The HTML in my blog isn't working so I thought I would post it here. I made stuffed peppers for dinner, they looked awesome! 330 calories.

003.jpg

004.jpg

Replies

• halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    recipe please! they look delicious!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    *drooooooool* looks so good
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Did you use ground beef with bread crumbs?
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmmm...what's in those!?
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Did you use ground beef with bread crumbs?

Ground turkey, brown rice, spaghetti sauce with part-skim shredded cheese. :]
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    1 medium green bell pepper
    1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 of a medium onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    4 oz ground turkey
    1/3 cup cooked rice (I used brown rice. - Kris)
    salt and pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/3 cup your favorite pasta sauce
    1 or 2 T low-fat part-skim shredded mozzarella

1) Preheat oven to 350ºF.

2) Fill medium pot about 2/3rds of the way with water. Bring to a boil. Chop off top inch or so of green bell pepper. Take out seeds and white membrane-y stuff. Parboil the pepper for 5 to 8 minutes, until it bends ever-so-slightly when you touch it. Once finished, make sure there's no water in the pepper, and put it in a glass baking dish, open side up.

3) In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until not soft, but crisp-tender. Add garlic. Cook 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add meat. Cook it until it's browned, breaking it up with the back of a spoon as you go. Add rice, oregano, and about 2/3rds of the sauce. Cook until hot/warm throughout. Salt and pepper to taste. Dance.

4) Carefully use your spoon to stuff the pepper with the meat mixture. It should exceed the top of the pepper by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. (You can eat the leftovers in the skillet later.) Pour the rest of the tomato sauce on top of pepper. Cover dish loosely with tin foil. Bake for about 25 or 30 minutes. Uncover. Top with cheese. Bake without cover for 10 or 15 more minutes. Cheese should be melted when done. (If you're preparing several peppers, up the initial baking to 45 minutes, and keep the uncovered baking at 15 minutes.)

Approximate Calories, Fat, and Price Per Serving
    330 calories, 12 g fat, $1.88

Calculations
    1 medium green bell pepper: 24 calories, 0.2 g fat, $0.50
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil: 20 calories, 2.2 g fat, $0.02
    1/4 of a medium onion: 7 calories, 0 g fat, $0.06
    1 clove garlic: 4 calories, 0 g fat, $0.02
    4 oz ground turkey: 160 calories, 8 g fat, $0.83
    1/3 cup cooked rice: 72 calories, 0.6 g fat, $0.04
    salt and pepper: negligible calories and fat, $0.02
    1 teaspoon dried oregano: 3 calories, 0 g fat, $0.03
    1/3 cup your favorite pasta sauce: 26 calories, 0.2 g fat, $0.22
    1 or 2 T low-fat part-skim shredded mozzarella: 14 calories, 0.8 g fat, $0.14
    TOTAL: 330 calories, 12 g fat, $1.88

Of course this is for oen pepper so I just tripled the recipe. A lot of left over stuffing so I am planning on using it for maybe a burrito type thing.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Sounds and looks yummy!!!
  • cassandra77
    Options
    Those look delish!
  • Belle_Fille
    Options
    those look really good! I just came across a recipe for stuffed peppers as well. but it doesnt have the cheese over it like yours. They look really good though- trying them in a few days!
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Looks good! I just had stuffed peppers the other night. Love them!
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy:
  • dlj1970
    dlj1970 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    yummmmm.....bump
  • ashlee2407
    ashlee2407 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Oh now I'm going to have to make these tomorrow!! I was looking for something like this, so YAY! Thanks :)
  • celticcateyes
    celticcateyes Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love making stuffed bell peppers! Looks like a really yummy recipe :)

We make a similar one at home (including the brown rice), except I like to use a few more veggies in the turkey mix (zucchini, green onion, tomato...sometimes eggplant) and we use feta cheese, some thrown in with the other ingrediants and some as a topper on the bell peppers.

Its one of the healthier dishes that I can get my husband excited about! I need to make some again soon.

Beautiful photos by the way.
  • sbusch21
    Options
    bump
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    This looks delish
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bumping this up, I was looking for a yummy stuffed pepper and this looks great.