Favorite "Make Ahead" Recipes

Options
davesnow77
davesnow77 Posts: 14 Member
FAVORITE "MAKE-AHEAD" MEALS??? I'm curious what some of you may have for healthy meals you can make ahead for the week. I'm finding it EXTREMELY helpful to take part of a day (usually Sat or Sun for me) to cook for the week. Makes it so much easier to stay on track.

For example, yesterday I made 5 of my egg white omelets and put them in the fridge in some tupperware. Then I just nuke one in the AM and have along w/ my coffee. I have a good, filling, healthy breakfast ready to go in the time it takes to make my coffee. Here's my easy Egg White Omelet: 1/2 cup All-Whites egg whites, 2oz Honeysuckle White Lean Turkey Sausage, 1/8 cup Kraft Four-cheese Mexican Cheese. After nuking, I top w/ 1Tbsp lite sour cream & 1Tbsp Picante sauce.

TOTALS: CALS=218 / CARBS=6 / FAT=10 / PROTEIN=26. I'm really happy w/ the taste and "filling-ness" considering how good the #'s are. What annoys me is the hot sauce practically doubles the sodium. Gonna have to make my own salsa I guess.

I'd love to have another breakfast idea or two that I can make ahead of time to keep it from getting boring. Same for lunch. Even dinners I guess!

Beuhler? ANYONE????

Replies

• CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Today I made chili for lunches, bierocks (Pam's Bierocks on Allrecipes, lightened up a little and divided into 24 portions rather than 20) for a portable dinner option, roasted some red pears with goat cheese to add to salad greens for breakfast or a stay-at-home dinner.
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal heats up well in the microwave after being made ahead of time. Then you can add butter, fruit, nuts ect.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    My favorite is making a large batch of homemade soup using the Recipes tool on MFP. I then divide it into individual servings and keep enough in the fridge for 2-3 days of lunch or dinner and then freeze the rest. I made bean & pork soup today. Next week I will make vegetable beef soup. For breakfast, I will double or triple the batch of oatmeal. Each morning I add a little bit of water and nuke it, adding blueberries after it's piping hot.
  • ashleyk_xox
    ashleyk_xox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like making Turkey Chili or Vegetable soup and putting it into portion sized bowls and freezing it. All you gotta do is pop it in the microwave and its ready! Also- Stuffed Green Peppers:

1 pound ground white turkey
    1 small onion, chopped
    2 cups Success Whole Grain Brown Rice Mix
    Chipotle Seasoning
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    5 medium,round green peppers
    3 cups any brand tomato sauce
    1 tsp. Worcestershire (optional)

Preheat oven for 425

Cut off tops of green peppers and clean seeds out. Boil in large pot for 5 minutes or untill peppers are a dull green.
    Brown trukey with onion and seasonings. Add uncooked rice, worcestershire, and 2 cups of tomato sauce. Keep on simmer until rice is tender.

Place peppers in a deep oven pan that is lined with aluminum foil. Fill peppers with meat/rice mixture. Pour remaining cup of tomato sauce over peppers. Place in oven and cook for 20 minutes.

These can be kept in the fridge or even frozen.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    wow yummy. I too was just wondering what I can do this week. I find the weeks I have things planned out I'm not only better prepared but mentally calmer and clearer because I'm not obsessing about food, what I have to eat, what I need to eat and what I will eat because I didn't cook or shop properly.
  • davesnow77
    davesnow77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Funny, I made stuffed bell peppers last night! Similar to yours but I hadn't thought of adding brown rice to the ground turkey. I made the bell peppers w/ an Italian tomato based sauce. I also made some fajita style shredded chicken and low-fat cheese and stuffed two large mild chili peppers.