Road trips

cgeiser1
cgeiser1 Posts: 145
edited September 24 in Health and Weight Loss
So I am driving (alone) from L.A to San Francisco after I get off work around 4:00. Normally when I do these types of drives I load up on energy drinks. Last time I actually gave myself caffeine poisoning. When I finally got home my heart was racing and my entire body was shaking so bad I couldn't walk.

So I know energy drinks are bad, but I need something to keep me awake on the drive, I am a notoriously sleepy driver. I already do the windows rolled down loud music playing but it's not enough.

Maybe food or snack choices that will give me natural energy, and make me not be so sleepy while driving?

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Thats tough! Pull over take a half hour nap half way?
  • hm... that's a tough one. I've heard good things about 5 hour energy, I took half of one when I got off the plane in Germany to try to adjust to the time change, and It didn't make me feel horrible. I don't usually have caffeine, so It made me a tiny bit more awake than I felt necessary, but for someone who does, it might be a good thing to try. Also, I believe there's only about five calories per serving (there are two servings to each bottle). Hope this helps!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Maybe bring along some fruits? Apples, strawberries....the natural sugars might give you a boost. I also like the NAKED fruit drinks....a little pricey and high in calories, but the "Machine" ones have vitamins and fruits to give you a 'boost'. I like the Red Machine but definitely watch the calories on them...
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 562 Member
    Sunflower seeds in the shell. Something about picking them up, cracking them, fishing out the seed with my tongue, and putting the shell in a cup keeps me from getting drowsy on long drives. Eating cornnuts, candy, etc. doesn't help at all, so it must be the physical and mental action that works.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Peanut butter sandwich? Provides all 3 macro nutrients and should give your energy a boost. Also, Kashi cereals right out of the box, eat it like popcorn, it's delicious, crunchy and healthy. Might try cut up vegetables too, very low in calories. If you're eating often, you have something to do and hopefully will stay awake.
  • Chegei
    Chegei Posts: 5 Member
    Take vitamin B-12 for energy and bring along fruit to snack on. When you find your self getting sleepy eating an apple seems to help the most for me. Some one else said sunflower seeds that should help, and the pulling over in a rest stop and closing your eyes for a 1/2 hour helps a lot. I used to have to do that sometimes. If you have blue tooth taking to someone could help call Sami she will help keep you awake.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Take vitamin B-12 for energy and bring along fruit to snack on. When you find your self getting sleepy eating an apple seems to help the most for me. Some one else said sunflower seeds that should help, and the pulling over in a rest stop and closing your eyes for a 1/2 hour helps a lot. I used to have to do that sometimes. If you have blue tooth taking to someone could help call Sami she will help keep you awake.

I agree. I work nights and I was drinking energy drinks to stay up. I knew it was bad for me but didn't know what to take. Then I read about Vitamin B12. Ever since then, I take one slow dissolving tablets under my tongue. It tastes pretty good.
This discussion has been closed.