The Wedding Blues!

Options
Hello! I'm new to Fitness Pal and it seems pretty awesome. I've always been active, but could never seem to get slim-slim. Then, after a pretty wretched experience, I went on all sorts of anti-depressant and anxiety medications and gained 50 pounds in 6 months!!! Needless to say, that about put me off the deep end more than my original problems!

Thankfully, I've met the love of my life and we're getting married in five weeks! I've gotten off all of the medications through therapy and a lot of detox and now I'm trying to salvage what's left of my newly stretch-marked body (I'm only 23!!).

I wanted to start losing weight last October when he proposed so I'd have ample time to lose the 50 lbs (I'm terrified to look at myself in pictures...and wedding sessions are not at all what I'm looking forward to), but I kept putting it off and putting it off and couldn't find the motivation - I have no idea why the WEDDING wasn't motivation enough! But, it's hard when you feel like you should never have been in this situation in the first place!

Anyway, is there anyone out there who's in the same boat or can offer any advice/motivation?? THANK YOU!

Replies

• carrotstick
    Options
    Hello! I'm new to Fitness Pal and it seems pretty awesome. I've always been active, but could never seem to get slim-slim. Then, after a pretty wretched experience, I went on all sorts of anti-depressant and anxiety medications and gained 50 pounds in 6 months!!! Needless to say, that about put me off the deep end more than my original problems!

Thankfully, I've met the love of my life and we're getting married in five weeks! I've gotten off all of the medications through therapy and a lot of detox and now I'm trying to salvage what's left of my newly stretch-marked body (I'm only 23!!).

I wanted to start losing weight last October when he proposed so I'd have ample time to lose the 50 lbs (I'm terrified to look at myself in pictures...and wedding sessions are not at all what I'm looking forward to), but I kept putting it off and putting it off and couldn't find the motivation - I have no idea why the WEDDING wasn't motivation enough! But, it's hard when you feel like you should never have been in this situation in the first place!

Anyway, is there anyone out there who's in the same boat or can offer any advice/motivation?? THANK YOU!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. You will find great support on this site. My advise, don't try to rush the weight loss for the wedding. Make a reasonable goal of 1 -2 lbs per week to see what your wedding goal should be. Find a dress that makes you feel fabulous and enjoy your special day. As for the pictures, you could set a reward, after you get to your goal weight, have your dress altered, get the hubby a tux and have a professional photographer take pictures again!
  • carrotstick
    Options
    Thanks for responding! My goal right now is 2lbs per week, so 10lbs by the wedding - not ideal, but like you said, I don't want to be unreasonable and just stress myself out. That is a FANTASTIC idea about retaking photos later!!! I never even thought about that : ) My fiance is a photographer, so I'll just insist on a private shoot when I've reached my goal!!

Thank you! Good luck on your goals as well!
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I blew up a picture of me in a swimming suit and stuck it on the fridge. :blushing:
    Trashed anything that looked like it has processed sugar in it. bought a bunch of fresh fruit and veggies and started to walk A LOT!!! (There are days that I cover 8 to 10 miles.)
    I found as many substitutions as I could find for the things that I made off limits or at least partial off limits. (I gave myself a cheating day in other words)
    Find an excecise that you REALLY enjoy! Riding Bikes, swimming, Something that you think is FUN!) .
    and become OBSESSED WITH IT!
    OR find a friend or hire a personal trainer to work out with you. I think friend because they are more fun then a personal trainer.
    (Sorry to the personal trainers out there.) :blushing:
    you have 4 months dear. you can do a LOT in that time! and remember muscle burns a LOT more fat then no muscle. Keep you chin up dear and you will be the buff bride that you want to be...
    But still you have to find the one thing that works for you!
    --Diann...
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not getting married anytime soon, but I am in a wedding this fall which was a big motivator for me. With the wedding only five weeks away, and if you do the 1 pound/week you're looking at a loss of about 5 pounds, but that still is a great success! I would say just try your best and remember your fiance is marrying you because he loves you, and will love how you look on your wedding day no matter what. I totally understand wanting to look awesome and have that 50 pounds fall off before then, but I think being realistic is also important in weight loss. If you set your goals too high (like losing 50 pounds in 5 weeks) then you will get frustrated and give up before you can even really have a chance to start.

Work at one pound a week....and trust me even losing 5 pounds will get you revved up to lose more. Not meeting your goal of 50 pounds for the wedding doesn't mean you cannot strive to meet that goal for loving the way you look for your years of marriage beyond the wedding date, or like me...along with wanting to look good for my wedding day someday, I also want to improve my overall health so that I am in great shape to have kids in the next few years. Coming here was a big first step for you, so just get started and use all the tools here and you'll do great! Congrats on your upcoming wedding!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what everyone else has said.

I know what you mean about the wedding not being motivating enough for you. I knew mine was coming up for over a year and did nothing about my weight. For the most part, I was actually happy with how my pictures turned out on the big day, but I was wearing a lot of figure shapers, makeup, etc. It was only after I saw photographs of myself on the honeymoon that I decided enough was enough.

I suppose my wedding photos will act as motivation to never return to those old habits...

Good luck and congratulations!:flowerforyou:
  • eHarris
    eHarris Posts: 160
    Options
    I got married just this past March and I had the exact same problem. I knew I needed to loose weight but even a wedding wasn't motivation enough to get my butt up and moving. Go with the other posts, those are super great bits of advice. I'd just add a bit of yoga to that! With what you've been through and a wedding around the corner you're going to be stressed. And we all know what stress does to our bodies. Yoga will help you take that 30 minutes or whatever and find your calm place and let you body reboot. If you do a relaxing yoga video you can do it before bed and you'll sleep like a baby!!

Good luck! And don't worry...even if you don't loose all the weight by your wedding...you still get the sexy hubby door prize. :bigsmile:
  • carrotstick
    Options
    WOW! Thank you to EVERYONE who has responded; I'm getting emotional just thinking of all the great support from complete strangers! The advice is wonderful and I'll take it all!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You will love it here and good luck!

:flowerforyou:
  • loreeb18
    loreeb18 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I got married last May and I was the same way. The wedding wasn't enough motivation for me to lose a lot of weight. Luckily, I had a nice poofy dress with a fitted kind of bodice so I didn't have to worry about how my stomach/hips looked. But I really wanted to get some pictures of me looking hot in a bikini on my honeymoon in Hawaii -- It didn't happen.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congrads for taking the first step. Everyone has said some wonder things, motivating and honestly stole any thunder that i could have possibly have (you guys are awesome:wink: ) I want to give you alittle motivation i lost 27lbs in three months. I am sure you can loose a pretty good amount by your wedding. Good luck!